The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mac Pro Advice: 8 core w/ more ram or 12 core w/ less ram? DAW Software
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Mac Pro Advice: 8 core w/ more ram or 12 core w/ less ram?

Hi Everyone-

I'm looking to upgrade my dual core mac pro to an 8 or 12 core. Because of cost, I'm considering either an 8 core with more ram, or a 12 core with less. I know I can upgrade ram later, whereas a processor can't be upgraded (or reasonably at least). So do you think a 12 core with less ram is the better option? I use pro tools and nebula pro primarily and I won't have the money to upgrade ram for quite a bit.

Thanks your help is appreciated!

Dave
Old 16th September 2011
Fhl
Lives for gear

It really depends on what work you'll be doing. If you're scoring with sample libraries you'll want as much RAM as physically possible. If that's not the case, you'll come a long way with 4-8GB. I have 10GB, and only want more when using libraries like VSL/LASS etc. So I agree with your reasoning. You can always upgrade RAM later.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks Fhi! Thats what I suspected. Does anyone have any experience with Nebula 3 pro and macs, in terms of what will get me the furthest? My hope is to be able to, at the minimum, have 5 or 6 instances running on busses, with ample power left over to mix a session. Thoughts? Thanks!

Dave
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I can't comment on using Nebula on the Mac, but I would always recommend spending the money up front on processor and adding RAM later down the line when you can.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEastman View Post
Thanks Fhi! Thats what I suspected. Does anyone have any experience with Nebula 3 pro and macs, in terms of what will get me the furthest? My hope is to be able to, at the minimum, have 5 or 6 instances running on busses, with ample power left over to mix a session. Thoughts? Thanks!

Dave
You can configure Nebula to set your preferred tradeoff between RAM vs. CPU. On a 12 core, 5 or 6 instances shouldn't be a problem at all.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

my experience,

most software just doesn't do core sharing well enough to warrant 12 cores. To be honest, i have 3 mac pros, 2009 , 2010 and 2011 each 8 core and they all pretty much function the same. Sure benchmarks will be different but in actual use, I see virtually no difference. The Mac Pro hasn't changed in 3 years as far as i'm concerned.

If you can, get a used 2009 8 core. I think that was the best model and bang for buck.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have a 2008 8core 2.8ghz machine with 16 gig of RAM and I have not run out of processing power yet.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

I would get the 6-core 3.33 Ghz. For some reason the apple store hides this option under the 4-core ordering. So click on 4-core to order, then chose 6-core option. For only a few hundred more you can get 12gb ram with a fast 6 core vs a slower 8 core with 12 gb ram. It would cost almost 1000 more for the 12 core with 6 gb ram.
Old 16th September 2011
Never buy your RAM from Apple. Get the fastest processor you can manage - the newer generation of plugs is VERY CPU hungry and processors don't go as far per-instance as they used to.

You can purchase RAM from companies like Other World Computing or NewEgg for much cheaper than you'll get it from Apple. Two 8GB memory sticks = $285 from OWC or $750 from Apple. It takes 60 seconds to install it yourself in the new Mac Pros.

So there you go.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

The 8-core 2.8Ghz are pretty powerful too. If u can get one used, for cheaper with plenty of ram, I would get that. You can only buy the 2.4 Ghz new (not 2.8), but it is a newer "westmere"
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks, everyone, for your help. What I'm getting from these responses is that its hard to go wrong with the 8 or 12 core (or even 6!). Most people seem to have the 8 and be doing just fine. One last question- multiple people have told me that a mac pro upgrade is right around the corner...any idea what this would be? 16 core, or faster processors for the 8 and 12 cores? Thanks!

Dave
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

Also, with these updates, do they tend to drive down the cost of older mac pro models? I'm assuming yes...
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

The current year model that gets depreciated drops considerably more than older models. Ie, 2008/2009 model shouldn't drop too much when a late 2011 is announced, but a 2011 model sold in the Apple store currently will wind up dropping more when it's replaced with a newer model.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search