The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tape Sims...UAD, WAVES...ETC...? Saturation Plugins
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Tape Sims...UAD, WAVES...ETC...?

There must be some concept I'm just not getting. I've demoed the Waves tape thing, demoed the Studer, used Avid Real Tape. I know I'm doing something wrong here.

When any of these are put on the 2 buss, it's instant distortion. So I play with the levels, make sure the input to the plug in isn't too hot, make sure the master is OK, etc etc. By the time the levels are tamed enough, hitting BYPASS on the sim and comparing to the original....well, it's pretty underwhelming.

I worked with tape forever and I remember when DAT machines came out and we compared a mix on DAT to one on half inch Studer and the Studer didn't sound distorted, it just sounded warm and round. These tape sims, so far, just don't sound like that to me.

Any tips on what I may be missing here?

TH
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hm, the UAD Studer A800 doesn´t distort here unless I hit it really hard.

Did you check out the UAD Ampex ATR-102?
It has a larger "sweet spot" than the studer.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I suggest an experiment with these NAG TApe – Electromagnetic Tape Nebula Programs. | 1313
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
There must be some concept I'm just not getting. I've demoed the Waves tape thing, demoed the Studer, used Avid Real Tape. I know I'm doing something wrong here.

When any of these are put on the 2 buss, it's instant distortion. So I play with the levels, make sure the input to the plug in isn't too hot, make sure the master is OK, etc etc. By the time the levels are tamed enough, hitting BYPASS on the sim and comparing to the original....well, it's pretty underwhelming.

I worked with tape forever and I remember when DAT machines came out and we compared a mix on DAT to one on half inch Studer and the Studer didn't sound distorted, it just sounded warm and round. These tape sims, so far, just don't sound like that to me.

TH
I'm understand completely. I have both UA's, analog channel, waves mpx, and reel tape. I only use one of them on the drum bus and many times I prefer decapitator over any of the tape sims.

I did a mix last week and started with the ua ampex on the master and studer on the busses.

Good results but I wouldn't say it was better or worse than what I was getting already with VCC and a mixbus compressor plug-in of choice.
Old 16th September 2011
soulstudios
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post

TH
Try cdsoundmaster's Vtmm2 - beats everything else I've tried.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
Render every track through the uad studer and then mix. That is where the magic lies...
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbrowne View Post
Render every track through the uad studer and then mix. That is where the magic lies...
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

This is exactly my experience too.
I also tried the studer on the mixbus before the ATR-102 was out - while it didn´t hurt, it was really subtle (at least with the CCIR-EQs or at 30 IPS). NAB has more headbump which was too extreme in my case.

While the A800 really shines though it´s cumulative effect the ATR-102 is more obvious.
I also tried the UAD Ampex on single tracks AND on the 2-bus but that´s a bit too much for my personal taste.
It may work for special sources that need extra softening (certain acoustic guitars or vocals) but on already good sounding material it really sounds like being copied from analog tape to analog tape too often.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search