The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 5 Audio editing question?
Old 15th September 2011
  #1
Gear Head
 

Cubase 5 Audio editing question?

Tried to sign up at steinberg.net but can't post. I am fairly new to Cubase 5 on the PC and am trying to figure out how to edit out certain parts of audio without the entire waveform moving after deleting a certain selection. I recorded a 16 bar verse, made a mistake, tried to edit the word out (sample editor) but when i delete the word, the entire verse moves over to the start of the originally deleted word (selection of audio, which messes up my recorded doubles). I want to be able to edit part of the verse without the entire waveform moving over on (Lead Vocal track). Hopefully my dilemma makes sense. Cubase 5 users please respond at your convenience, thanks.
Old 15th September 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
stafs's Avatar
 

Just edit in project window. At least i'm doin' it that way.
Old 15th September 2011
  #3
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafs View Post
Just edit in project window. At least i'm doin' it that way.
I was able to use the split tool but I need to figure out how to select certain parts of audio in the project window opposed to the sample editor (Which is easier but moves my entire waveform unlike when i use split tool, which more like a band aid).

Edit: Thanks stafs, you were right. I figured it out. I had to zoom in to really get the range tool in there and was able to cut it out fine from Project View. Thanks.
Old 15th September 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
Well with the scissor tool ('3' on the numeric keypad) you can slice and dice as you wish. Just crop the start and end of the phrase or word. Either that or slice one side and go back to the arrow (#1) and drag the region to delete the phrase or word.

Within the sample editor, you could always highlight the region and I think it's right click -> silence. Either that or right click -> choose either 'audio' or 'edit' -> 'silence'.

This should just delete the audio region you selected. However, if there's still audio on either edge of the region, you might get a click/pop working this way.
Old 15th September 2011
  #5
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post
Well with the scissor tool ('3' on the numeric keypad) you can slice and dice as you wish. Just crop the start and end of the phrase or word. Either that or slice one side and go back to the arrow (#1) and drag the region to delete the phrase or word.

Within the sample editor, you could always highlight the region and I think it's right click -> silence. Either that or right click -> choose either 'audio' or 'edit' -> 'silence'.

This should just delete the audio region you selected. However, if there's still audio on either edge of the region, you might get a click/pop working this way.
I tried the right cllick range insert silence. It just added the silence to the selected range and moved over the words i wanted deleted. I just wish I could select a range of audio in sampler editor view and delete it without the entire waveform moving (like i can now do in project view). Appreciate the tips though black lion. I'm definitely a pro-tools guy but Pro-tools is not option right now so I have learn Cubase...
Old 15th September 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterygrimms View Post
I tried the right cllick range insert silence. It just added the silence to the selected range and moved over the words i wanted deleted. I just wish I could select a range of audio in sampler editor view and delete it without the entire waveform moving (like i can now do in project view). Appreciate the tips though black lion. I'm definitely a pro-tools guy but Pro-tools is not option right now so I have learn Cubase...
hmm..there must be some preference for this. Admittedly, it's been a while since I used the sample editor this way but from what I remember, it would bring the unedited regions together. I'll try it myself right now...
Old 15th September 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
Ok, so I opened an audio file in the sample editor

(1) Highlight region
(2) Right Click -> Process -> Silence

Doing this, the audio is silenced and everything remains in place. I'm pretty sure I didn't change any preferences so this must be the default behavior.
Old 15th September 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
djmukilteo's Avatar
The "silence" method is one way of doing it if I understand what it is you want to do.
I zoom into the audio file right in the project folder (not the editor) and use the scissor tool on each side of the wave region I want taken out. That creates a "slice" which you can delete. It doesn't move any of the remaining waves on each side. You do need to be zoomed in close enough on the track to snip the part out...
Once you have it fully edited the way you like it you can then "glue" all of those separate slices back together as one part.
Old 16th September 2011
  #9
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
The "silence" method is one way of doing it if I understand what it is you want to do.
I zoom into the audio file right in the project folder (not the editor) and use the scissor tool on each side of the wave region I want taken out. That creates a "slice" which you can delete. It doesn't move any of the remaining waves on each side. You do need to be zoomed in close enough on the track to snip the part out...
Once you have it fully edited the way you like it you can then "glue" all of those separate slices back together as one part.
Haha yea... I figured that out right after stafs reply. Which did it for me but it would be nice to do it in sampler view as well. I will try the process, silence method. I like editing in sampler view to get a more up and close perspective on the audio but I guess I can just do the same exact thing in the project window with zoom tool, and scissors. Thank you all for the input!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump