The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can Uad Pci-e card be repaired Please Look Saturation Plugins
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Can Uad Pci-e card be repaired Please Look

Hi what happened was that i put the uad card into the pc when it was still plugged in but switched off and its burnt some of the Edge Contacts on the bottom of the Pcie board

Any of u guys think it could be repaired if so how?

Flickr: bornnslippy's Photostream

Im willing to pay if someones willing to give it a go

Thxs
Old 15th September 2011
Contact UAD. I'd be willing to bet they'll do a replacement if you send it to them...won't be cheap, but cheaper than buying a new card.
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thxs for the reply the only reason i wanna get it repaired is because i bought it with loads of plugins and the guy never transferred the plugins to me and instead sent me the Auth File by email so i need to try to get it repaired otherwise ive lost 30 plugins

Cheers
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakelaffin View Post
Thxs for the reply the only reason i wanna get it repaired is because i bought it with loads of plugins and the guy never transferred the plugins to me and instead sent me the Auth File by email so i need to try to get it repaired otherwise ive lost 30 plugins

Cheers
So your seeking advice on how to continue using your pirated software?
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

How can it be pirated when i bought it and it uses the card to run the software
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
If the card has not been properly transferred and registered in your legal name with UA then you are in violation of UA license agreement (EULA) that you agree to when you first install the software. You ought to read it sometime. There is a reason the other party did not bother to do a proper transfer. If the other party was legit the transfer would have been done. It only takes a few minutes to do online and it is free of charge for registered UAD users. That it was never done speaks volumes about the whole illicit transaction. Sometimes karma can bite in the you know what.........

If you feel you are really legit then just contact UA directly instead of spinning your wheels on GS. They are more than willing to help and our very accommodating to legit UAD users. They have even exchanged faulty/bad cards free of charge for registered users. Some of the very best service and support in the biz!

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Read UAD's software license, and you can answer your own question.

If you paid for the licenses, and they weren't transferred to you through UAD, then you got ripped off.

If you bought the card, and the guy threw in the auth file for free, but kept the license on his account, then you are ripping off UAD.
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

The card is registered in my name ive spent 20 min on a call to UAD and there willing to do nothing and told me to take it up with the person i bought it off of its unfortunate but theres nothing they can do
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

The very best service
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Tennis is that good or bad?

Lol
Old 16th September 2011
Tui
Gear Guru

So you damaged a second-hand product by installing it incorrectly. What exactly is your point? Do you ever take responsibility for your actions?
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

The person who sold it to you needs to initiate the transfer with UAD. You need to register your card (which will have no licenses on it). Then the person who sold it to you needs to contact UAD and have them transfer all licenses (you cannot just transfer select plugs) to your account. Once this is done, you can have up to 4 UAD1s and 4 UAD2s authorized for the plugins, although technically, they all need to be in a single computer. This will also allow you to purchase additional plugins, and download an updated auth. file. As of now, you have the original owners authorization file, but you have no way to add plugins, because the owner has retained the actual licenses.

It sounds like the guy who sold you the card is ripping you off. If he sold you the software licenses, then he owes it to you to transfer them to your account.
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

I understand that i have to buy another card i havent got a problem with that its the plugins that are the problem as they havent been transfered

And even uad have said it is common for people to do this and they have not enough resources to stop it

I know ive been ripped off i know ive lost out i was just wondering if there was a way of saving the card and save me alot of money as i bought the card in good faith
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hi Joe yes thats the problem he hasnt transferred the licenses to me and its possible hes doing it all the time and uad are hopeless to stop it there words not mine

Are just have to learn from my mistake
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, I'll let you deal with the software side. Personally, I'd hunt this guy down and get my money back.

As for the card, the first thing I would do is gently scrape off any carbon that was deposited from the short, then I'd take an x-acto knife and cut away and conductive material that may be between the contacts. It may actually work just by doing that. If you need to add more conductive material to the contact, you can try to put a solder bead down, and then use a file and knife to shape it properly.

The biggest risk would be having an unseen short on the card that could fry your motherboard, so anything you do is at your own risk.
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Cheers joe thanks for the advice are try it in a old pc that i dont use anymore ive got nothing to use

Also someone said use conductive paint to bridge the gap any advice on that?

Cheers
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Be careful with conductive paint, as it can scratch off when inserted and possibly cause a short.
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Joe u willing to give it a go if i pay u?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search