The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ValhallaÜberMod. Chorus/Ensemble/Multitap/NonlinReverb Thing Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 22nd September 2011
sean, will there be some kind of a non-linear saturation control in the feedback path of the delays? i'm wondering if this would help "dirty" things up, and make for better tape echo emulations etc.
Old 22nd September 2011
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaluma View Post
sean, will there be some kind of a non-linear saturation control in the feedback path of the delays? i'm wondering if this would help "dirty" things up, and make for better tape echo emulations etc.
The original plan was to leave out the saturation, and make things totally linear. However, someone suggested putting it in. It turns out that there was panel space for it. So now I just have to come up with a decent saturation algorithm. heh

I have a pretty basic version of this working in ValhallaFreqEcho. I want to do something a little more refined for ValhallaÜberMod. And I'd better hurry up and figure it out - in all other respects, this plugin is getting ready to launch.

My current plan is to have something influenced by tape saturation (preemphasis/S-shaped nonlinearity/deemphasis), that switches out of the algorithm when set to zero. ÜberMod has been designed around a linear signal path, and I want to keep the linear option in there.
Old 22nd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
the original plan was to leave out the saturation, and make things totally linear. However, someone suggested putting it in. It turns out that there was panel space for it. So now i just have to come up with a decent saturation algorithm. Heh

i have a pretty basic version of this working in valhallafreqecho. I want to do something a little more refined for valhallaübermod. And i'd better hurry up and figure it out - in all other respects, this plugin is getting ready to launch.

My current plan is to have something influenced by tape saturation (preemphasis/s-shaped nonlinearity/deemphasis), that switches out of the algorithm when set to zero. übermod has been designed around a linear signal path, and i want to keep the linear option in there.
really pleased to hear this!
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
My current plan is to have something influenced by tape saturation (preemphasis/S-shaped nonlinearity/deemphasis), that switches out of the algorithm when set to zero..
How about envelope trigging the bandwidth of the pre-filter (ever so gently) just to move or gather energy within the spectrum?
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Head

also maybe you can have the option for odd or even harmonics or a mixture...in general a good worked out saturation option will add tremendously ...also although this may be too early to say but do you think
if using vroom in conjunction with ubermod will it be possible to get
those cool effects that Eventide processors have? .....
Old 23rd September 2011
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaman View Post
also maybe you can have the option for odd or even harmonics or a mixture...in general a good worked out saturation option will add tremendously
The Overdrive knob will just be a single knob. So putting odd/even harmonic control in there will be a bit overkill. There is enough complexity being generated elsewhere in the algorithm(s), that a simpler overdrive should work fine. I may play around with a DC offset internal to the overdrive in certain chorus/delay modes, to add a bit more even harmonics.

Quote:
...also although this may be too early to say but do you think
if using vroom in conjunction with ubermod will it be possible to get
those cool effects that Eventide processors have? .....
I always thought of ValhallaShimmer as my Eventide-ish plugin. The pitch shifting in that is very similar to what the Detune block in the later Harmonizers does - simple pitch shifting, with the ability to reverse the signal. I add some randomization in there that I don't think Eventide uses, but it is essentially the same type of pitch shifting used in the H910. Shimmer uses this to a fairly simple degree, but I plan on messing with this more in the future.

ValhallaÜberMod doesn't use the pitch-shifting style detuning for its chorusing. It is more of a chorus/delay, with a lot of modulated taps, but with none of the taps fading in and out as in a pitch shifter.

I guess ÜberMod would be my Roland-esque plugin, as opposed to Eventide. I never set out to create a Roland influenced plugin - I lean more towards Moog for synths, although I will never part with my beloved SH101. However, the principles behind the Dimension D, VP330, RS202, and JP8000 Supersaw are all big influences on the ÜberMod algorithm development.

On the other hand, the ability to spread the taps out in time, shape their amplitude response, add randomness to the spacing, and add diffusion to the signal, are things that Eventide has been doing in their boxes since the SP2016. I am more of a theoretical guy (and on a budget), so I haven't had much experience with Eventides in person. So other people will be a better judge if the sounds ÜberMod cranks out are Eventide-esque.
Old 23rd September 2011
Quote:
The original plan was to leave out the saturation, and make things totally linear. However, someone suggested putting it in. It turns out that there was panel space for it. So now I just have to come up with a decent saturation algorithm. heh

I have a pretty basic version of this working in ValhallaFreqEcho. I want to do something a little more refined for ValhallaÜberMod. And I'd better hurry up and figure it out - in all other respects, this plugin is getting ready to launch.

My current plan is to have something influenced by tape saturation (preemphasis/S-shaped nonlinearity/deemphasis), that switches out of the algorithm when set to zero. ÜberMod has been designed around a linear signal path, and I want to keep the linear option in there.
this is great news sean, thank you!
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Guru

Sean - thanks for your work on these plugs. I downloaded the free delay on a whim. All I can say is - WOW!!!

I've been looking for a good RTAS native solution, as my normal delay (echofarm - which I really love) is a TDM DSP hog. Your delay sounds great right out of the box, and does some cool stuff that echofarm can't even imagine. And it sounds great to boot!! Hard to believe it's FREE!

Looking forward to checking out more of your paid stuff. Especially the ubermod. (I'm pretty full up on verbs right now, but may check out the shimmer one......)

Cheers,

bp
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Sean - thanks for your work on these plugs. I downloaded the free delay on a whim. All I can say is - WOW!!!

I've been looking for a good RTAS native solution, as my normal delay (echofarm - which I really love) is a TDM DSP hog. Your delay sounds great right out of the box, and does some cool stuff that echofarm can't even imagine. And it sounds great to boot!! Hard to believe it's FREE!

Looking forward to checking out more of your paid stuff. Especially the ubermod. (I'm pretty full up on verbs right now, but may check out the shimmer one......)

Cheers,

bp
You should try room too. I prefer it to the lex plugs most of the time. Very different sounding.
Old 25th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
You should try room too. I prefer it to the lex plugs most of the time. Very different sounding.
+1
Old 15th December 2011
Lives for gear

Got the Beta today, here are some first experiments with ÜberMod:

Old 16th December 2011
Lives for gear

a new thread should be started in new product alert...
Old 16th December 2011
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
a new thread should be started in new product alert...
I'm on it! I've been waiting for this day for months, as it is actually a new product at this point, instead of up and coming vaporware.
Old 16th December 2011
Here for the gear

Bought it this morning and its absolutly fantastic. Thanks for making this, Sean...
Old 17th December 2011
WKG
Lives for gear
Got it, installed and running...heh what a blast this thng is, sounds great!

Awesome!

Thank you Sean!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search