The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can we talk about Ableton Live, recording audio? DAW Software
Old 18th September 2011
  #31
Lives for gear
 
synthoid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmurphy View Post
right click the automated control and delete. simple.
Simple, but not what you want to be doing in between takes when you're tracking an artist/band. It's already more fiddly in Live to do multiple takes than with pretty much any other DAW on the market.

I use Live pretty much exclusively, and I'm crazy about it. It fits what I do perfectly, most of the time. But I think it's going too far to say that all of its niggles are easy to overcome, haha. It's a tradeoff, and you can either live with it or not. If multitracking is a big part of your workflow, it would be silly to choose Live IMO. At least I would never make that choice. If you record 4 tracks of audio and then need to record another take of the same 4 inputs, you have to do more than simply start the recording as you would in PT, Logic, DP, Cubase, you name it. If you're working in arrangement mode you either need to move the original takes out of the way or arm new tracks or something. That's not a small deal for someone who does lots of multitracking. IMO. If you work in session mode: well, I don't believe that it's realistic to think of say tracking a band and then doing punches in session mode. I'd have to see that to believe it.

-synthoid
Old 18th September 2011
  #32
Gear Maniac
 
macmurphy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
If multitracking is a big part of your workflow, it would be silly to choose Live IMO.
yes i'd have to agree with that.

who knows, maybe it's something Ableton will address in Live 9.
Old 18th September 2011
  #33
Lives for gear
 
razorboy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
If multitracking is a big part of your workflow, it would be silly to choose Live IMO.

-synthoid
And what if you are doing a number of [real instrument] audio tracks, recorded one at a time? Still the same verdict?
Old 18th September 2011
  #34
Gear Maniac
 

i also use ableton live as my one and only program, and yeah, this was based on the fact that it got me back into producing with a computer a couple of years ago. it's quick, powerful and the session mode is second to none.
i tried to use it together with another daw, like reaper for mixing, but i didn't like the process of exporting all your tracks as audio files and then start mixing in another environment. so i got used to do it all in live.
it's true that they have to adress the missing "multiple takes"-feature in the next update (and 64 bit, by the way...). when i track drums nowadays, i make a group of the drum tracks and copy that a couple of times after adjusting a basic overall balance. then i map keys to turn the drum group-tracks on and off. this way i switch between different drum takes and i can minimize the takes i am not working on at the moment to save screen space.


regards,

Fishmac
Old 18th September 2011
  #35
Gear Maniac
 
macmurphy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorboy View Post
And what if you are doing a number of [real instrument] audio tracks, recorded one at a time? Still the same verdict?
no, it's fine for that. i'm constantly layering up analogue synths and if anything went awry there it would stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 18th September 2011
  #36
Lives for gear
 
razorboy's Avatar
 

Very good. Thanks.
Old 18th September 2011
  #37
Gear Addict
 
Delphino's Avatar
 

In a sense one could view the daw as an instrument in its own right. And on such a scale, I'd rate live as the, by far, most instrument like(a loopitar perhaps ) while the remaining bunch, logic/pt/cubase etc are more like tapemachines.
Being on logic for many years, I was really keen to try something new and learn Live. Started with v6... And sold it by v8. I realised that I am a Logic guy after all. Besides, I do not like working with loops, and loops is the heart of live.
Old 19th September 2011
  #38
Lives for gear
 
synthoid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphino View Post
In a sense one could view the daw as an instrument in its own right. And on such a scale, I'd rate live as the, by far, most instrument like(a loopitar perhaps ) while the remaining bunch, logic/pt/cubase etc are more like tapemachines.
Being on logic for many years, I was really keen to try something new and learn Live. Started with v6... And sold it by v8. I realised that I am a Logic guy after all. Besides, I do not like working with loops, and loops is the heart of live.
It's interesting to me that everyone says that (about Live and loops). I very seldom make "loops". But in any event I have never been more tempted to make a loop in Live than I was in Logic. Actually, with all those crazy Apple Loops and the Garageband connection, I always thought of Logic as the loopier of the two.

different strokes I guess. I agree entirely about the instrument vs tapemachine thing, that's how I see Live also.

-synthoid
Old 19th September 2011
  #39
Gear Nut
 
jalguitarman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
Well, I was talking to someone the other day who was wanting to mix in Logic's 64 bit environment, or at least he wanted to compose in Live and export to Logic to take advantage of 64 bit. Live being 32 bit will have some limitations especially if one uses sample heavy virtual instruments.

Also, while Live has very good plug ins, there are a couple things it is missing, namely linear phase EQ and convolution reverb.

On the other hand, it's not like one couldn't add those to live in the form of plug ins very easily and not expensively, either. I should also argue that I am still learning Live again... it may have linear phase EQ and I don't know it.

Also, it is often said that editing is accomplished in other DAWs easier than others.

Live is also sort of rudimentary with virtual instruments compared to some other DAWs, if one doesn't get the Live Suite and just gets the main package (I have Suite on the way). Again, though, virtual instruments are something that one would probably end up getting through third party softwares, but if you are looking for an immediate bunch of virtual instruments to get you going right off the bat, then maybe Live isn't the best choice.

There are a lot of things about Live that are very strong, however, and I don't want to sell it short. It has a unique workflow that lends itself to live work and composing very well. Ableton is pretty good at rolling out updates in an effort to keep it stable as well. It's a very nice application. If one were to add the full Suite, it's quite likely that those instruments will be somewhat more stable than third party ones will be for live work also, although I can't guarantee this.

Anyway, it is a full featured app, and if you are interested in the upgrade from Live Lite then I say go for it... there's a lot to love about it, jump on in.
My computer will have Live 8.2 suite when I get it. I seen their (Abletons) demo of a guy making a song on it. I liked the sounds enough that I said "ok, I have to get suite", as that was what the guy used to make his song.
Old 19th September 2011
  #40
Gear Nut
 
jalguitarman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
It's interesting to me that everyone says that (about Live and loops). I very seldom make "loops". But in any event I have never been more tempted to make a loop in Live than I was in Logic. Actually, with all those crazy Apple Loops and the Garageband connection, I always thought of Logic as the loopier of the two.

different strokes I guess. I agree entirely about the instrument vs tapemachine thing, that's how I see Live also.

-synthoid
Well the looping thing would work for me, since one of my styles is Progressive house.
Old 19th September 2011
  #41
Lives for gear
 

Enjoy, brother! I also see you are in the St. Louis area. Good to see you here! Best of luck.
Old 19th September 2011
  #42
Gear Maniac
 
macmurphy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphino View Post
Besides, I do not like working with loops, and loops is the heart of live.
loops are not the heart of Live. that is selling it very short indeed tutt
Old 19th September 2011
  #43
Lives for gear
 
razorboy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmurphy View Post
loops are not the heart of Live. that is selling it very short indeed tutt
Now mac, you're not getting away that easily. You'd better flesh that out a bit.

tutt
Old 19th September 2011
  #44
Gear Nut
 
jalguitarman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
Enjoy, brother! I also see you are in the St. Louis area. Good to see you here! Best of luck.
Rock on! I see you play guitar. That is actually my primary instrument but I also love electronica so a program like live 8.2 suite was a must have. I went from a Proteus 2500 (expanded with X-lead and techno synth construction yard) to a Motif XS-6. I have found the layout to be less than intuitive. The sections where I need to program stuff are a bit of a pain whereas with live I will have programming ease that was a quality I liked the Proteus 2500 sequencer. Can't knock either for sound though.
Old 20th September 2011
  #45
Gear Maniac
 
macmurphy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorboy View Post
Now mac, you're not getting away that easily. You'd better flesh that out a bit.

tutt
heh well, i can only tell you that i use it the way i imagine folks use other DAWs - i use the arrangement view for writing.
i use the session view to experiment with how different parts may sound/interact with one another and i think this is a wonderful feature of Live (i believe other companies have recently introduced similar features?).
you don't have to use loops in session view - single phrases are fine.
if you find a combination that is interesting you can 'capture' the scene and drag it to the arrangement or better yet record your experiments directly to the arrangement and edit them afterwards.
Old 20th September 2011
  #46
Lives for gear
 
razorboy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmurphy View Post
heh well, i can only tell you that i use it the way i imagine folks use other DAWs - i use the arrangement view for writing.
i use the session view to experiment with how different parts may sound/interact with one another and i think this is a wonderful feature of Live (i believe other companies have recently introduced similar features?).
you don't have to use loops in session view - single phrases are fine.
if you find a combination that is interesting you can 'capture' the scene and drag it to the arrangement or better yet record your experiments directly to the arrangement and edit them afterwards.
Cool.....

Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump