The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Control Surface with Talkback?? Monitor Controllers
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Control Surface with Talkback??

I'm looking for a cheap(ish)control surface with a talkback section.
Other than the EUCON stuff (expensive and only 4 faders?) and C24......there seems to be narfin?

SSL Nucleus, all good but a huge fail in the monitoring/Talkback?

M-audio project mix? nope...

Mackie control? nup

Alesis used to make a "master control" thingy which looked good on paper....but sounded like ass and has since been discontinued?

Even Sonar's dedicated Vstudio controller....has no talkback?

Am I missing something here? Shouldn't a control surface and a master section go together beautifully?

Maybe there's a product that I've missed?

Thoughts?
Old 15th September 2011
What DAW are you needing to control?
For Nuendo only there is WK Audio
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer v2 View Post
Am I missing something here? Shouldn't a control surface and a master section go together beautifully?

Maybe there's a product that I've missed?
No, there simply isn't anything other than the half-ass products you mentioned. The gear makers have all missed the ball on this.

First one who comes out with a serious controller with a complete center section, will rule the world.
Old 18th September 2011
The Audient designed (& built?) Focusrite 2802 will fit that description. Same price as nucleus but with extra toys to play with
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I went with the ASP2802, prior to the re-branding. The downside is it's a lot more than a control surface with talkback, but on the upside - it's a lot more than a control surface with talkback.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think the SSL Nucleus could have "ruled the world" if they were not so stupid as to not include a talk-back and extra outputs. My hope now is that the upcoming Steinberg controllers are the answer....but I won't hold my breath.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yep, I agree! The lack of being able to switch between to monitor set-ups was a faux pas grande!
Close, but no cigar!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Right- their idea was, if you want that, get a Matrix.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

I got the Presonus Central Station and love it.... With the remote... It spoiled me after I got it... I forgot how to work in friend's studios with just an audio interface... Highly recommended, have seen it in use in big time studios... as well as the Mackie big knob but the Mackie is messy and takes up desk space, the Presonus is rack mount and with the remote it makes it very convenient...
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, I've also found it crazy that not one control surface maker has included a talkback button after moving away from my Panasonic DA7 (Which included a talkback button). I've had to go with the PreSonus Monitor Station, which has all the additional features you might need in a modern day DAW scenario. Talk back, multiple headphone jacks, multiple speaker configurations. It's well worth it IMO.
Old 20th September 2011
the old Mackie HUI has talkback and multi-monitor capabilities....
just my 2 cents...
Old 15th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Well, well, It's been a couple of months and we have some new control surfaces....

New steiny controllers...modular, lots of different versions.....no talkback...

New M-audio C series, have monitor sections (yay) but no Talkback either or ways to expand them....at least they're getting closer?
Old 5th November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer v2 View Post
I'm looking for a cheap(ish)control surface with a talkback section...
Alesis used to make a "master control" thingy which looked good on paper....but sounded like ass and has since been discontinued?
At the risk of EVERYONE throwin insults my way, I'm jumping in here.

I have an Alesis Master Control...and I'm JUST putting it through the paces so I'm curious just WHAT 'sounded like ass' in particular?

I'm not on the defensive either, mind you, I'm trying to understand it's limits, learn from others and so forth.

So far (and I've only run simple drum and keyboard loops), it seems to 'sound' pretty damn good!...so?

FWIW, the talkback function works great, but only up to 96000/hz...then resources are dedicated elsewhere.
Also FWIW, it was discontinued, but driver support is alive and well INCLUDING Windows 7 64bit support! Drivers, documentation, yadda-yadda...all easy to get.

Peace,
Speber

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search