The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digi 002 or.......??? Audio Interfaces
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Digi 002 or.......???

So here's the deal. I bought the Digi 002 console/mixer interface back in 2003-04. I used for about 2 years to record some projects back then. Since then (meaning 2006) I haven't used it at all, for anything. Lately I've been doing some research and reading on the internet about the Digi 002 and seems that many people are dissatisfied with it. Many say the sound quality is garbage, others had to modify theirs (through black lion) in order to improve their sound quality, some others like to bypass the 002's converters by syncing it to something like Rosetta 200 in order to receive higher definition sound.

After a long break, I'm in the position of wanting to make music again but reading all this stuff about the Digi 002, I'm confused and I don't know what to do?

Here are my options :

- Send the console to Black Lion get it modified (don't know the price for this?). And then also purchase a Rosetta 200 A-D/D-A Converter. All this so that I can step up my game, and improve the sound quality and performance of my interface?

OR

- Sell the Digi 002 as it is, and for the same money that I make of the sale buy another interface that's technologically more advanced and better.

Any general opinions would be greatly appreciated. If there is some information that I haven't provided in my message which would help in answering my concern please let me know and I can add on to what I wrote already. Thanks
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

I'm pretty sure that Black Lion Audio does not modify the 002 consoles anymore...only the rack version. I have the rack version modified with the signature series mod and while it does sound amazing, it does not play well with Cubase (midi ports and direct monitoring are not working). I'm now in the hunt for a new interface but the reality of the situation is that there really isn't anything out there that will sound as good for the cost. I was thinking the Steinberg MR 816 but now they are set to release their new line of interfaces. Getting back to you, I would either use what you have or look elsewhere. Perhaps an RME UFX?

Sincerely,
Joey
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

If you were happy with it before, who cares what anyone says?
Ive had a 002 for years and although i have replaced it, it is and was always a VERY reliable piece of kit and perfectly competant at making music.
Until or unless YOU think it's detrimental to your sound or workflow then it's fine.
That being said, RME UFX does kick ass, but it $2G.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

It depends on how many ins and outs/pres you need, but you should seriously look at the Duet if two (ins/outs, pres) is enough.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd123 View Post
It depends on how many ins and outs/pres you need, but you should seriously look at the Duet if two (ins/outs, pres) is enough.
I'm willing to sacrifice some of my in/out channels. To be honest with you, I don't really multi-record on many channels during a session. I don't have a band, so most of the times I just do individual per-channel recording, layer by layer.

So...you guys are telling me that Black Lion doesn't modify the 002 consoles any more? Why is that? Is there a specific reason? If that's the case then, there has to be someone else who might perhaps be able to do it....no???

Tommyd123 I am not familiar at all with Apogee's Duet, what's your take on it? I just did a quick little search on it, the things looks like a little toy...lol. Can someone please give me a little overview on this device, thank you!
Old 15th September 2011
[QUOTE=Petros;7035348]I'm willing to sacrifice some of my in/out channels. To be honest with you, I don't really multi-record on many channels during a session. I don't have a band, so most of the times I just do individual per-channel recording, layer by layer.

So...you guys are telling me that Black Lion doesn't modify the 002 consoles any more? Why is that? Is there a specific reason? If that's the case then, there has to be someone else who might perhaps be able to do it....no???

Apparently the consoles don't have as much space to work on inside so they do the racks only now

B
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks to everyone so far for the replies.

Anybody else have any input???
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Take this with a grain of salt since I do work for black lion. They don't mod the 002 console (tho I have one) as they break in shipping, overheat with the new psu internal, and are a lot more work to take apart and put back together. Modded they sound fantastic tho.

As for something else, the rme stuff is decent, theres lots of outboard you can connect to your 002. Heck even the Behringer ad8000 is surprisingly decent for very little money.
Old 21st September 2011
I would recommend moving on. I use a Digi 002r in the studios at school and just don't care for it over my Saffire Pro 40.

I mean, a unit that costs THAT much should at least come with 4 more pres. give me something!
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Head

A large part of that would depend on your budget. Personally, I think if you're happy with what you've got, stick with it. If you're not happy with it, move on. But that should be based on what you think, not really what someone else thinks.

If you're looking to stay with Digi (Avid) gear, you might think about the MBox Pro, which in my opinion is the best box Avid has put out yet.

If you'd like to move to something different you would be hard pressed to find something better than RME. Depending on your budget, you could go with an RME Babyface (under $1000), the RME Fireface UC ($1300 ish) or as previously mentioned, the RME UFX ($2000 ish).

Good Luck
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Addict

At this point my price range is not the greatest...around 350 to $ 400. I'm considering on maybe getting an interface that is good for portability. What do you guys think about M-audio's profire cards (610 and 2626)? I've been doing some reading on these cards and they seem to be unbeatable for their price range. The 610 is very tempting at this point...What are your thoughts, pros and cons of these interfaces compared to the Saffire 40???
Old 1st October 2011
Gear Head

I have an 003 and love using the control surface. I've been doing research in adding better quality conversion and more I/O. There are three products in my price point; Apogee Ensemble, RME FF 800, and RME UFX. My ultimate goal is to continue using the 003 (as a console) which means I have to use the ADAT ports on the 003.

I would suggest looking at the RME Babyface as it also has ADAT ports which you could connect to your 002 (I'm assuming the 002 has ADAT). You could then use the better quality A/D and D/A via the RME while continuing to use the 002. This is just a suggestion for you to research, I have not had any experience with the babyface so I could not make a recommendation. If you go with a used Duet (looking at your budget) it doesn't have ADAT like the RME so you will have to ditch the 002 (assuming you are running PT9). Another disclaimer - I've never used a Duet no recommendation here...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search