The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic track export question DAW Software
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Logic track export question

So i have a jazz trio session in logic. It's about 12 tracks, a few of which are stereo, the rest mono. I'm trying to export it to PT so i can send a drive off to have someone else mix it. The session is a little over an hour long. Each region is a separate song, but i "glued" all the edits together so they're all consolidated.

I went to "export all tracks as audio files" so i could then import it all into PT. But the export function lopped off the last maybe 10 minutes or so. On every track they end the same place. I lost 2 and a half songs on the import. So now I'm going back and sending each region of those other songs as their own files so i can import them into the PT session. that's tedious

Does anyone know why Logic did not export the entire tracks? Did I do something wrong?

N
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

At the 'end' of the timeline bar in Logic there's a rectangle/box that defines...the end so to speak. Are you sure that your glued sections didn't exceed this? And did you check what the length was in the bounce box? Though I think unfortunately it only lets you assign bars/beats you can switch Logic to show SMPTE as well as Bars/Beats in the timeline so you have a reference for the number of bars in overall length.
Old 15th September 2011
I also use the loop in and out pointers.
Don't know if it has the effect, but found when bouncing a mix if I didn't have the out locator beyond the end of my mix, the end got lopped off.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks guys, I'm familiar with the little "end of session" box and it was way outside the end of the audio, so that wasn't the issue.

What is weird is that some of the tracks ended at just the same time, and some didn't. There was no uniformity to the missing end, so to speak.

I managed to build my session anyway- the long way- I went back to logic and exported the individual regions that were missing and then imported them into the pt session and manually lined them up. But it took almost all day to do it all, when the track export should have done it all correctly in a few steps.

N
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

you should just get Pro tools if you are doing this kind of work
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well the only time I've had tracks 'end early' was either due to the effects trails being cut off (there's a checkbox for that but if you've got exceptionally long delays or a bad 3rd party AU you may have to do the blank audio section trick to get it to completion) or due to incorrect PDC settings. I would assume since you're just exporting stems you probably don't have any plugins inserted on the tracks in question that would cause PDC related issues...? And would also assume that you're not talking about a reverb trail being cut off, but entire portions of the mix...

So the only other NON-bug related thing I can possibly think of is some sync setting somewhere being active that doesn't apply to your session per se, but is still affecting Logic's behavior.

May be worth asking your question over at the Logic Pro forums, where the experience of the majority of users is going to be more in line with what you're doing (imo). Ie, GS users are a more varied lot.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnajar View Post
Thanks guys, I'm familiar with the little "end of session" box and it was way outside the end of the audio, so that wasn't the issue.

What is weird is that some of the tracks ended at just the same time, and some didn't. There was no uniformity to the missing end, so to speak.

I managed to build my session anyway- the long way- I went back to logic and exported the individual regions that were missing and then imported them into the pt session and manually lined them up. But it took almost all day to do it all, when the track export should have done it all correctly in a few steps.

N
Sounds like a Logic Project (not session btw, that is a PT term) corruption. I have not had this.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSmile View Post
you should just get Pro tools if you are doing this kind of work
Nonsense.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Is the project recorded at 96khz and 24 bits?

If yes, maybe you reached the file size limit of 2 GB for a WAV, if there is still such a limit.
Can you check the size of the export wav? You could find something there.

I found this chart to see the storage needs of the different wav formats.

http://24bit.turtleside.com/pcm.wav.file.sizes.pdf

Good luck.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I thought that export option will render in aif by default. Maybe you should try in aif.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search