The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to add Analog Outs to a Tascam FW-1082 setup
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

How to add Analog Outs to a Tascam FW-1082 setup

I just purchased a nice outboard eq and comp to use with my Tascam FW-1082 DAW through Sonar X1. I would like to be able to run recorded tracks out of Sonar->external hardware->Sonar, but it seems that there is a severe limitation to doing this because the FW-1082 only has 2 analog outs (labeled L and R monitors), which means that if I want to feed a signal out of the box I have to feed the external hardware with one of the monitor outs and use headphones to adjust the sound.

That would be fine, except (I think) I am forced to hear the original track simultaneously with the affected sound when playing back. I can record the affected sound separately, but I can't hear what it sounds like until I record it and play back. That's not really acceptable for me.

Is this a correct assumption, or is there a workaround? My understanding is that I need at least 2 more analog outs, but I am not sure of the most economical/sane way to go about doing this. The FW-1082 does have an SPDIF coaxial out. Would I need to buy a D/A converter with just 2 outs, or would I need additional outs to make this work?

Furthermore, wouldn't it make more sense to buy a superior AD/DA converter while I'm at and just the use the FW-1082 as a controller? If so, would I still be able to utilize the analog outs on the 1082 for my monitors, or would I need more than 2 analog outs on the converter? Is this going to create issues with wordclock that need to be addressed?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

To answer my own question:

The Free Way: Take the signal fed through the eq/compressor out and back into one of the monitors. Make your master bus mono and pan it hard to the other monitor. When you get your sound dialed in, take the plug out of the back of the non-mix monitor and plug it into your DAW input and record that. Not very pretty, but gets the job done and sounds better than my plugin effects in the mix.

The Cheap Way: Same as above, but buy a balanced splitter box (Behringer makes one) and split the signal going out of the effected signal to the recording input and the monitor. Saves you from having to unplug before recording down.

The Expensive Way: Buy a DA converter with 4+outs and hook it up via SPDIF. You just spent 1K for the priviledge of being able to use your outboard gear!

The Best-Most-Expensive Way: Buy an AD/DA converter and use the 1082 as a controller only. Congratulations, you are now $2K poorer.

Try and guess which one my broke ass picked...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search