The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME Fireface 400 vs Fireface UC vs MR816X for product longevity Audio Interfaces
Old 5th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dede View Post

And just got a response from a RME tech support guy:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<quote:
All fo RME's firewire and USB devices are designed to work as close to PCI/PCI-e performance levels as possible.
Bot PCI and PCI-e are slightly lower latency than either FW or USB. The CPU load and overall latency are very close over all.
The main benefit you would be getting with the HDSP series hardware is the flexible expansion You can mix and max up to 3 HDSP cards in your system for a huge amount of I/O expansion. The Fireface series with most systems is limited to 2 units connected to the computer.
The USB based Fireface devices like the UC, Babyface and UFX all work great on either PC or MAC. ON the PC side. Firewire is starting to become less common of a built-in feature on motherboards and especially laptops. USB 2 and now USB 3.0 are becoming more prominent.
Unless you are really planning on adding allot of I/O as in more than 32 channels of I/O then you will be fine with the Fireface series.<<<<<<<<<

Its been a few years since that quote, but now I am at a similar crossroads.

I'm upgrading a very PCI+multiface (0 complaints for the last 10+ years), for a new computer. i admit I haven't paid much attention over that period , because i didn't need to ) So I figured I'd go for the PCIe card. And as long as I'm at it, a MultifaceII.

is MultifaceII history now?

I don't really need the preamps, so what's the most stable and lowest latency way to go? Is USB 2 really that good? Better than firewire 800?

I see there's a FF802 and a UFX - there's not a huge differentiation in features and price. Whats the deal?

Last edited by jeff_free69; 5th February 2015 at 02:06 AM..
Old 2nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Yes --

Cool looking at the MR816X...

I need an SPDIF i/o on my computer to hook up to a Crane Song Hedd 192... I need to slave the SPDIF i/o to the master clock... would the MR816X be able to do this? It sure looks like it? Slave to a clock for the SPDIF i/o?

Is there any benefit to something more expensive like the FireFace if you don't need the preamps? Any other boxes you guys recommend?
Old 3rd September 2015
Gear Maniac

If you can get a used FF400 for a good price otherwise UC.

Got an Apollo Twin recently and it doesn't hold a candle to my FF400.
RME even updated the Totalmix app for it even though they no longer make it, thats product support.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search