The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
belkin thunderbolt hub announced Plugin Bundles
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

belkin thunderbolt hub announced

3 x usb 2 port

1 fw 800 port

1 ethernet port

1 thunderbolt port

price ???

Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

sorry, I overreacted a bit, It seems it's just a prototype ...

it will be perfect for the mba 2011
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Needs more Firewire ports...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

And less Belkin
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Curious .. Would definitely like to know more .. Looks like a Droid ..
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've had good luck with Belkin hubs on my Macs. But yes, it needs more FireWire ports. Preferrably another FW800 port, and maybe even a FW400 port, as well.

Seriously, we need some real options for Thunderbolt hubs. For real.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
I've had good luck with Belkin hubs on my Macs. But yes, it needs more FireWire ports. Preferrably another FW800 port, and maybe even a FW400 port, as well.

+1...
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

... and why not USB 3.0?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
I think this is more a consumer hub.

Hopefully the pro stuff is not too far off.

(BTW., Acer and another computer maker just announced Thunderbolt support for 2012 so momentum should slowly build)
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choukette View Post
sorry, I overreacted a bit, It seems it's just a prototype ...

it will be perfect for the mba 2011
Disagree.
I saw this and initially thought the same thing, until I realized "Hey, wait. The thing that I really love about my macbook air is that it's as thick as a magazine and weighs 2 pounds".
A hub like this is the antithesis of a Macbook Air.
Give me a Thunderbolt>Firewire cable or, better yet, a Thunderbolt audio interface, and then we might be on the right track.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersheff View Post
Disagree.
I saw this and initially thought the same thing, until I realized "Hey, wait. The thing that I really love about my macbook air is that it's as thick as a magazine and weighs 2 pounds".
A hub like this is the antithesis of a Macbook Air.
Give me a Thunderbolt>Firewire cable or, better yet, a Thunderbolt audio interface, and then we might be on the right track.
sorry to disagree too :

if an external usb/fw/ethernet hub don't fit with the vision you have on what the mba should be

I don't think an external audio interface box will fit with your vision too

no matter what the ext box do for you, it's still an external box,

then if you really want ultra mobility just forget thunderbolt it's not for you :

- ext Hard drives tower
- ext PCIe expansion box
- ext 24 ' monitor display

nothing dedicated to mobility, just solutions to add desktop abilities to laptops,

and one reason is simple : any thunderbolt peripheric need a controller, so you will certainly never see any tiny thunderbolt peripheric, they are only designed for great performance not great mobility, and the max 10 watt power delivery certainly push the need for external alimentation too.

so my only concern about thunderbolt is how to benefit of it,

at the moment it's like having a huge highway without any car to drive on it.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think his point is that thing has a relatively small functional case surrounded by a much larger 'breadbox' sized ... stand of some sort. Also in my experience Belkin just repackages the same internals that other brands use at a higher price point due to the brand name (similar to how linksys/cisco use the same broadcom chipsets as other NAT routers). No real hatred here towards their stuff but it's just as hit & miss as any other consumer facing brand, so the real question is what the internal build quality & chipset are like.

The nice thing here is that Thunderbolt peripherals are finally coming to market and there are laptop & desktop announcements on the horizon from companies that aren't just Apple/Sony/Intel. Meaning the chances of Thunderbolt (and evenuntually Lightpeak) hitting mainstream are looking pretty good imo.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedomus View Post
... and why not USB 3.0?
Yes - why not - can this be an error in the specifications..?

::
Mads
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
Yes - why not - can this be an error in the specifications..?

Mads
Look at the number and type of ports. It's exactly the same ones in exactly the same configuration as apple's new thunderbolt display. This probably isn't co-incidence. It looks like they found whoever was making that part, and then just ordered a bunch of them individually and put them in a new case.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by (un)reason View Post
Look at the number and type of ports. It's exactly the same ones in exactly the same configuration as apple's new thunderbolt display. This probably isn't co-incidence. It looks like they found whoever was making that part, and then just ordered a bunch of them individually and put them in a new case.
You're probably right - what a shame... let's hope more "independent" products will show up!

Mads
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

USB 3.0 is not included within the thunderbolt spec, only USB 2 and Firewire 400/800.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersheff View Post
I do think we need converter cables soon.

Some firewire devices don't like to be chained, so I could really use a Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor cable. Don't really need a hub for my MacBook Pro, but will definitely will want one for the new Thunderbolt Mac Pros (whenever they come out)...
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
I think his point is that thing has a relatively small functional case surrounded by a much larger 'breadbox' sized ... stand of some sort. Also in my experience Belkin just repackages the same internals that other brands use at a higher price point due to the brand name (similar to how linksys/cisco use the same broadcom chipsets as other NAT routers). No real hatred here towards their stuff but it's just as hit & miss as any other consumer facing brand, so the real question is what the internal build quality & chipset are like.

The nice thing here is that Thunderbolt peripherals are finally coming to market and there are laptop & desktop announcements on the horizon from companies that aren't just Apple/Sony/Intel. Meaning the chances of Thunderbolt (and evenuntually Lightpeak) hitting mainstream are looking pretty good imo.
i didn't want to be rude or to piss anybody in my previoust post (english is clearly not my native language, so Ersheff have all my apologies if my post seems a bit agressive, hostile or anything else)

I'm agree with you about the importance of the quality of controlers inside the thunderbolt box (IMO it's more than a classic usb hub anyway, because it needs one controler of each sort (usb, fw, ethernet...) to work)

my main objection, was about the goal of thunderbolt technology, sure there is a question of performance, bandwidth, ... but also another way of using personnal computer nowadays :

to own one small and powerfull laptop and then to have to the possibility to expand it like a classic desktop computer at home with the thunderbolt hub / extension chassis / what ever you want that our previous laptop can't do.
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

There was a Sonnet Thunderbolt to FireWire announced in the spring, but it has all but vanished from the web. Now Sonnet is pushing an upcoming Thunderbolt to Express card solution, which can then be used for their lineup of Express Card adapters, including FireWire 800. Seems way unwieldy for someone like me who has long success with FireWire 400 and owns a FW400 interface - it would be three conversions for me to run my old interface with an Air! Much more to come to market and soon I hope.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search