The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fabfilter Pro-q vs DMG Equick Equalizer Plugins
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

Fabfilter Pro-q vs DMG Equick

Is there any difference in the sound of these 2 nice EQ´s or will a null test prove them to sound the same? I want to buy one of them, but cant quite figure out which to choose, and i would like to make my choice based on the sound. I am demoing them both right now, but I cant HEAR a difference. Im wondering if there is any?
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Would love to see some null test too.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
Is there any difference in the sound of these 2 nice EQ´s or will a null test prove them to sound the same? I want to buy one of them, but cant quite figure out which to choose, and i would like to make my choice based on the sound. I am demoing them both right now, but I cant HEAR a difference. Im wondering if there is any?
So, you can't hear the difference. Why is it important to know if they sound exactly the same or allmost the same? I think, since you already figured out for yourself that you can't hear a difference, I would suggest to pick the EQ that you think gives you the desired result the fastest.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
So, you can't hear the difference. Why is it important to know if they sound exactly the same or allmost the same? I think, since you already figured out for yourself that you can't hear a difference, I would suggest to pick the EQ that you think gives you the desired result the fastest.
I agree. I was just curious about the difference. I found some threads saying that DMG sounds way better in the low and top area, but i dont hear it. Others claim pro-q has more edge. Maybe its my untrained ears, or maybe they actually does sound the same. However, if f.ex. DMG is "better" in not making the highs harsh or whatever, I would choose that on the simple assumption, that i have a better starting point.

I do like the GUI on the pro-q better, i like that its visible what bands are m/s etc, and i like the flow and its easy to work with.

In the DMG i like the resize option for the window, the price is lower, the analyzer is the best of the teo IMHO.

If they are the same in sound, I think ill go for pro-q based on the graphic, but if DMG actually has an edge in sound (even though i cant hear it) I would go for the DMG.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
I agree. I was just curious about the difference. I found some threads saying that DMG sounds way better in the low and top area, but i dont hear it. Others claim pro-q has more edge. Maybe its my untrained ears, or maybe they actually does sound the same. However, if f.ex. DMG is "better" in not making the highs harsh or whatever, I would choose that on the simple assumption, that i have a better starting point.

I do like the GUI on the pro-q better, i like that its visible what bands are m/s etc, and i like the flow and its easy to work with.

In the DMG i like the resize option for the window, the price is lower, the analyzer is the best of the teo IMHO.

If they are the same in sound, I think ill go for pro-q based on the graphic, but if DMG actually has an edge in sound (even though i cant hear it) Iwould go for the DMG.
EQuick has much more flexible shleving filters and significantly lower CPU usage than Pro-Q

The analyser is really a lot better too which makes a great difference when judging what you're doing.

Just a few things to think about while demoing
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Me and my friend made some tests now and we can say that they don't null at higher freq's at all, now I will explain why. Setting up freq of 7000 hz, +12 db, Q at 1, doesn't give the same sound. ProQ has more agressive sound and EQuick a bit more softer, but....than we set up Q of 1.3 on ProQ and the sound started to sound same, did null test after that and they were practically same. So, there is a difference between this two eq's only at Q setting, it's not the same. If someone can elaborate that more into details what does it mean, it would be great.

We tried same thing with freq's of 10k and 12k, always same story.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Equality would be better.
eqs, etc... depend on your personal taste or music style...

equality its too transparent for most things, the
psp masterq
sonic timeworks
t-racks
izotope ozone
ssl x-eq.
Old 17th September 2011
Deleted User
I did some test with Pro Q, Equality, Equick and my Softube Classic Channel.
My go to EQ Softube Channel strip was like a compare subject.
After testing Pro Q and Equality I decided to go with Pro Q. Equality was somehow soft in character compared to Pro Q. Pro Q has more edge like they saying. But when I compared it to the Softube Classic Channel, Softube eq sounded somehow better. Less aggressive to say.
But when I tested Equick that was something else. It sounded very close to sound of Softube CCS. But on the end Softube sounded a little bit wider like 3D.
Anyway I think all these EQ's are really very useful.

Edit: But when I think twice, all that I need is EQuick! Big display, Great analyzer, Great sound, more control m/s..etc
EQuick is the winner for me.
Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search