The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Firewire 4 pin better than 6 for interfaces?
Old 14th September 2011
Firewire 4 pin better than 6 for interfaces?

Hey everyone, so I was stumbling through some audiophile forums in search of the question "Are some FW cables better for audio than others?" Turns out that most people who care prefer Granite cables. Anyway, one interesting thing I came across was the mention of taping off / pulling the power pins in a 6 pin FW400 cable, the end result being a cleaner data signal to & from the interface. This is essentially turning the connection into a FW400 (4 pin) connection. My question is if you think there might be any truth to this? I went the non-destructive route & just laid some electrical tape inside one of my cable's ends across the power & ground pins. Fired up the 002, opened a Logic session & all seems to be well functionality-wise. BTW, I am running a BLA sig. 002. Thoughts?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

You do know that audiophile forums are even more misinformed than gearslutz right?
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by silence2-38554 View Post
Hey everyone, so I was stumbling through some audiophile forums in search of the question "Are some FW cables better for audio than others?" Turns out that most people who care prefer Granite cables. Anyway, one interesting thing I came across was the mention of taping off / pulling the power pins in a 6 pin FW400 cable, the end result being a cleaner data signal to & from the interface. This is essentially turning the connection into a FW400 (4 pin) connection. My question is if you think there might be any truth to this? I went the non-destructive route & just laid some electrical tape inside one of my cable's ends across the power & ground pins. Fired up the 002, opened a Logic session & all seems to be well functionality-wise. BTW, I am running a BLA sig. 002. Thoughts?
4 pin just means it's not supplying power right?

I would wait for the audiophiles to prove their theories....
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

There are threads about firewire issues, hum, whirring noises and the like and then if the firewire thingy was run on it's own PSU things got better. There could be ground loops, insufficient power supplies and whatnot-wtf issues.

The audiophiles could solve all their problems by getting an audiophile blessing from the "church of audio" (trademark), which I happen to be the pope of. Of course it will cost them a little.
Have mercy on the wretched souls of the generic audiophile, as they love sound so much their love makes them blind. Or deaf. Some of them do in fact have a point here or there, but that's another can of worms.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like my 0s and 1s a bit smudgy.

On a more serious note, the only thing that I can think of is that apparently you can get a few dB's more headroom by using a dedicated PSU rather than FW power (can anyone confirm or elaborate?) - of course, this has nothing to do with the quality of the signal going down the cable but rather the power output limitations of FW in general.
Old 14th September 2011
I've actually never gotten the 4-pin to work, only 6.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search