The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mr816 - audio dropouts on new motherboard and i7 :( Modular Synthesizers
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

mr816 - audio dropouts on new motherboard and i7 :(

i know it's been posted alot in here, but honestly there is no straight answer to this..
i had my core 2 quad and the irq conflict was with my nvidia graphic card, (same with an ati card), so i had to disable my graphic card in order to use the mr816
now with a new gigabyte b67x-ud3-b3 i'm having the same problem with the on board firefire port, texas instument pice firewire card, and the pci firewire card that i was working with in my previous motherboard...
i have audio dropouts when i have it on the onboard and the pci firewire card, and the TI pcie card does not even recognize my card....
so is there any solution to this? does steinberg wanna fix this?? or has it been fixed yet??
i'm really leaning forward towards the m-audio profire 2626. someone plz tell me either the solution for this mr816, or tell me that i won't be facing such a stupid issue with the 2626 in year of 2011
thanks
Old 14th September 2011
What OS are you using? Did you run DPC latency test?
Did you switch the Firewire driver to legacy? With the latest few MR drivers you shouldn't.

It sounds like a general issue, the MR works on every system we have ever used it with.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
It sounds like a general issue, the MR works on every system we have ever used it with.
True! With my mobile rack, I plug the MR816 to whichever computer is accessible (Reaper portable USB stick). It never didn't work so far.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

in my previous motherboard, i had to disable the graphic card to get it work. it works on an imac machine, so tell me how is that a general issue?? the card works properly that's for sure...
i'm using win 7 64 bit, and yes i did try the legacy drivers.
i did to dpc latency check and it looks like this:
95-77-1650-88-90-1860-90-89-1720

and i get the dropouts on the high numbers...
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Hi,

take a look here:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support...wledgebase_pi1[o_system]=2

try modify the IEE1394 buffer size
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjaal
i did to dpc latency check and it looks like this:
95-77-1650-88-90-1860-90-89-1720

and i get the dropouts on the high numbers...
try to find the cause of these dpc spikes.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
try to find the cause of these dpc spikes.
How?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
What do your DPC numbers look like when the unit is not powered and not active? Any Antivirus on? Network card or usb wireless router? Any mobo utilities installed?

What graphics card are you using now?

If it worked with the imac, that points to some hardware/software issue with your current setup.
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjaal View Post
How?
What Blacklion wrote. Remove all USB stuff except keyboard/mouse. Disable network & bluetooth. Try disabling your firewire cards.
Antivirus? Any software installed that has nothing to do with audio? Virtual disk drives?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Also check and see if your firewire port is sharing an IRQ with something else. This can definitely cause problems.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Also, one thing I had to learn the hard way is that if you are using a newer mass produced dell/hp/whatever else (and I'm not saying you are), there are power-saving features programed on the motherboard that will cause audio dropouts....features that many times cannot be turned off.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I had drop outs early on with an HP computer. In my situation, the computer came with a WIFI device and card installed. Disabling that instantly solved it. It wasn't firewire related but had something to do with the busses, I believe.

Just a shot in the dark as you didn't mention that.
Old 15th September 2011
js1
Lives for gear

Whatever you do, DO NOT INSTALL THE GIGABYTE UTILITIES. There's one that is used for performance tuning of the Gigabyte motherboard that causes huge DPC spikes.

This is from memory, but (IIRC) if you see a process in Windows task manager called GUI.exe - that will definitely be a cause of DPC spikes. On mine, it caused spikes of 1600 us!

Drove me crazy until I figured it out.

js
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1 View Post
Whatever you do, DO NOT INSTALL THE GIGABYTE UTILITIES. There's one that is used for performance tuning of the Gigabyte motherboard that causes huge DPC spikes.

This is from memory, but (IIRC) if you see a process in Windows task manager called GUI.exe - that will definitely be a cause of DPC spikes. On mine, it caused spikes of 1600 us!

Drove me crazy until I figured it out.

js
man, i went to task manger stopped GUI.exe from processing, and the problem was solved,
thanks alot man, you are a life saver
Old 15th September 2011
Nice!

Indeed OEM software is not needed and usually creates more problems than that it solves anything.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search