The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GPU and Audio Card Important for DAW performance? Audio Interfaces
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

GPU and Audio Card Important for DAW performance?

I just needed some questions answered before I go ahead and upgrade my machine..

1. Is my GPU Graphics card important while using my DAW, performance wise?

2. Will a better audio card affect and make Asio v2 run smoother and cure all DSP clicks? Will the new audio card EVEN affect performance if I'm using my MBOX 3 mini 3 built in soundcard?

3. While bipassing asio and my soundcard, and using my built in mbox's audio card, will Firewire improve DSP performance within cubase considering my current mbox is USB variable speed?

Also, I'll be upgrading my pc slightly until I can afford a dual processor intel system.

Mobo: 790XT 4DUP BE
Processor: x3 720 BE 2.8gz
RAM: 16 GB

The problem is that I use a lot of plugins and vst that hog my cpu, so the usage is at around 60%. I also mostly use sample libraries which is stored into the ram. Because of these vst's hogging my CPU I can never achieve my rams capability with the samples.

Anyways my question is, is this worth it to upgrade from a tri core 2.8gz to a 6 core 3.7 processor. It's $200 for the 1100t, I'm assuming I will see a good boost in performance.

I would get a sandy bridge if it weren't for my amd mobo.

Thanks!
Old 14th September 2011
graphics do affect performance. I just bought a brand-new beast of a W7 notebook and have all graphics disabled. I don't need that pretty crap. I'm recording music.

Also, a dedicated graphics card is ideal.

I would get rid of your mbox, get a better interface, or at the very least disable your onboard sound card to avoid conflicts
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search