The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQ Mind F$%* Equalizer Plugins
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

EQ Mind F$%*

OK, admittedly, things are slow and I don't normally (read, ever) do this kind of thing. But, out of boredom and, well, boredom, I've been testing my various eqs and demoing some new ones. I took an acoustic guitar track from a song I just recorded and have just been trying various eqs out "for fun". I think what I've learned is that, it's all good and who really cares as this is definitely not scientific. The guitar is played by me and is a Taylor GS miked by a royer 122 going into a Pacifica. No eq, no compression. A/D is apogee. It's muddy as is normally the case with the 122. Fine, easy to clean up. I start with 2 measures of raw guitar with a little verb on it. Then I engage each eq for 2 measures, disengage for 2, and then do a new eq for 2, etc. Tempo is 75 bpm so it's not fast. There are differences but they aren't dramatic and since it's not scientific I didn't try to get exactly the same sound with each eq. Plus, since it's not in a mix it really is hard to tell. My opinion, they're all fine, some have more "mojo" than others and if tweaked more some could be improved. In a mix situation probably any would be fine. EQs used (in order) are:
1) Waves Ren EQ
2) URS Channel Strip Pro
3) Waves H-EQ demo
4) DMG Equality demo
5) ReaEQ (Reaper)
6) IK Pultec (jumps out as it's brighter sounding)
7) UAD Pultec
8) and last but not least, Hydratone!

I also had the Waves Puigtec which I like the most out of the pultec emulations but forgot to insert it in the test. It had a little more meat to it.

Oy vey....I guess this kind of thing is nice once in a while for one to take inventory of the crazy amount of plugins they've accumulated and to help them learn the differences. I know I sometimes get caught up in "upgrade fever" and think what I have isn't quite good enough. Not this year though. Enjoy and go out and write a great song!
Attached Images
File Type: png reaper screen shot.png (50.9 KB, 99 views)
Attached Files

EQ Mind F__k.mp3 (3.52 MB, 66 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search