The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is there any reason not to jump on the Waves deals? Plugin Bundles
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Is there any reason not to jump on the Waves deals?

I like their plugins, and in my efforts to entirely legitimize my plugin collection, it looks like there has never been a better time to jump on the Waves plugins than now. Through the voucher promotions they're offering I can get the Kramer Tape, Tubes, and Transistors bundle, the H-EQ, and the Gold bundle all for $600 (the price of the gold bundle).

Anyways, it looks like a great deal, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any reason not to jump on it if I already know that I like their plugins.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

No 64-bit support is a deal buster for me. Sadly, Waves plug-ins are still living in 32-bit world.

That applies to any plug-in on the market. Yes, Waves plug-ins are high-quality, but there are many equal, better, and even more competitively priced alternatives these days.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Money could be a reason not to but if you have the cash...

You could buy the SSL bundle for less than $600, no? Those are my go-to. Still lusting after the 2500 compressor plugin though.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan-...es-64-bit.html

No 64bit yet and sign since early 2010, that it's gonna come somewhen.
So it be another year or two or another month, .... (doubt it's gonna come soon, since there is no peep about it )

Maybe it's not coming before PT goes 64bit and who knows when that is going to happen?

but besides that, I only hate that Waves tune only support fixed tempo.

all eq and dynamic plug ins are quite alright.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've been happy with waves. I might buy some of the newer signature plugs, they are a good deal right now.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe a naive question, but why is 64 bit so important?

-R
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Maybe a naive question, but why is 64 bit so important?
-R
32 bit OS's can only access 4 gig of ram at any time, so when you are using ram intensive plugs/instruments you use that up pretty fast
64 bit can use all your ram ,and most people find the 32 bit bridge workaround a PITA to work with !!! I for one will no longer buy 32 bit plugs/softs
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
32 bit OS's can only access 4 gig of ram at any time, so when you are using ram intensive plugs/instruments you use that up pretty fast
64 bit can use all your ram ,and most people find the 32 bit bridge workaround a PITA to work with !!! I for one will no longer buy 32 bit plugs/softs
You don't necessarily need 64 bit processing plugins, but they should at least be compatible with 64 bit hosts. They don't, and some hosts really don't like many 32 bit plugins either.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
... I for one will no longer buy 32 bit plugs/softs
I on the other hand believe that if you need a tool to do a job today, buy one that works today.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

OP, I'm right there with you. Just ordered an ilok and will be purchasing my first waves bundle(s) this week.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Waves are offering some excellent deals at the moment, incredibly competitive...

I am at present saving or should I say waiting to upgrade from my Platinum bundle with my SSL and Neve bundles to Mercury. The Mercury bundle is very accessible to me now and it is IMHO great bang for buck. Liking the new price strategy from Waves, even if you don't like a particular plug or do not use it that much - you haven't broken your wallet to purchase it!

Good stuff.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

With the current prices on offer, I think it's an excellent time to get into some Waves plugs.

The Gold bundle might not be as helpful to me, but it might be just your speed. I really like the "vintagey" modeled plugins: the CLA Compressors, the V-Series, API Collection, JJP Collection, etc. They've all been good for me.
Old 14th September 2011

Much cheaper plugins would be my reason.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Will Gold v8 run on an XP machine with Cubase SX3?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

No Support for DAW's that do DSD. Sigh...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've been picking them up all summer. While there is a learning curve with some of them, they all sound great. I'm pretty happy to have them in my little arsenal.

And sure, 64 bit is very important to me, and it's pretty lame that Waves isn't 64 bit. On the other hand, though, I can tell you I just started a thread yesterday and the answer is this version of Waves that I am buying will be able to be made 64 bit for not a lot of money, if any at all once they are out.

Waves has a lot of detractors, and it might have been deserved at one point. I gather the Waves upgrade plan was pretty expensive, but they've addressed that to my satisfaction anyway, so I don't see any need to hold that against them.

The prices are reasonable and the plug ins sound great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search