The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Windows8 to run on phones, tablets, PCs; Run all W7 apps
Old 15th September 2011
  #31
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
As far as Apple being a religion, that's just stupid.
Some Apple fans (and staff) do behave rather strangely:
SECRETS OF THE SUPERBRANDS-TECHNOLOGY-1.avi - YouTube
SECRETS OF THE SUPERBRANDS-TECHNOLOGY-2.avi - YouTube


heh

Alistair
Old 15th September 2011
  #32
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
It is a huge gamble for Microsoft. Windows 7 isn't that old, and is a very good operating system... a real hit. For them to not capitalize on that success tells me that Microsoft is really placing a bet on the future of what computing is going to be. They might be right... they've done far more research than I... on the other hand, though, we could see another Vista circumstance where their core users in the business environment don't see any reason to move from W.7 into an environment that seems to be more of a mobile OS. At the minimum, I think we'll find that Microsoft will have a tougher sell with this one than a lot of other OS's in the past.
I don't really see it is a gamble. To me, if well implemented, the plan makes a lot of sense. They want to gain market share in the tablet/phone/mobile arena so they need something that works well with (small) touch screens. If they can deliver that as a kind of add-on to the existing Windows 7 then they save on part of their development costs. Also it means they can deliver something that works on all platforms. (See comment below about the "Desktop mode").

I find the idea of a unified OS for all types of devices (including different processors) very appealing. If it works, this should be a good thing. (Upon reading further I see you write the same more or less :-)).

So they capitalise on the work that has been done for Win 7 and enhance it with all the Win 8 features. People that haven't yet migrated to Win 7 for their desktops/laptops can go go straight to Win8, no loss for Microsoft, and they can try and gain share in the tablet/mobile market.

If they have indeed managed to cut resource usage by 25% and maintain stability, performance etc that should appeal to all current Windows users including Win 7 users. So their direct Win 8 existing market includes current Win 7 users. The business market would like a 25% cut on resources too.

I think they might have a winner. We shall see if they can deliver on these promises.

Quote:
The next is that Microsoft is betting on what the computer of the future is going to be, and they seem to have concluded that it's likely to be some sort of pad style computer.
Actually the whole twist in this story is that they are not betting on what the future of computing will be. They want to deliver a single OS that will work on all devices and for which users can choose which style of GUI to use. A touch GUI or a classic Win 7 Desktop GUI. They are not even gambling on the hardware used as they want a single OS that is cross-platform (x86 and ARM).

Quote:
They may be right, but so far, no one outside of Apple has really found a way to be commercially successful yet- look no further than HP's aborted attempt to enter the market, which they soon concluded wasn't going to be profitable.
Depending on how you define the computing market, if you include phones, one could argue that Android are beating Apple heavily at this game.

Quote:
That brings us to Windows 8 on a non-touch surface computer like a traditional laptop or desktop. Obviously I haven't used Windows 8, and it isn't ready anyway and could change at any time. It might also be fan-tastic. But I think we can agree that it's certainly a radical departure from what everyone has gotten used to over the last twenty years or so (on both platforms). And I know that there is the Desktop in Windows 8 that is to return a user to the traditional computing experience that they are used to (I haven't see it). But still, in the world of business, this is what you would call a real risk.
That Desktop is basically exactly what you know from Windows 7. In other words: Zero risk.

Quote:
Anyway, while there is a lot of risk, there is also a lot for Microsoft to gain from this. Having one unified platform that delivers a stable and fast experience across multiple platforms would really give them a huge edge.
Indeed. Let's hope they can deliver. This will up the stakes for all the contenders which we as end users can only benefit from.

Alistair
Old 15th September 2011
  #33
Lives for gear
 

A few years ago Best Buy was selling a laptop around Thanksgiving or something for $199 or around there. People lined up for it.

People lined up for these terrible prequels to Star Wars.

I personally used to line up for concert tickets back in the day before the internet, so I could get good seats and sell the rest at markup. I slept out for up to a week, it was fun, I'd have a bit to drink and smoke marihuana and have a good time. I didn't worship Pink Floyd without Roger Waters or anything. I still listened to other music and could tell that Delicate Sound of Thunder or whatever the hell they were touring was crap.

There's any number of reasons why people line up for things. Still, this doesn't mean that anywhere near the majority of them do it, nor does it mean that they are practicing a "religion" and that they can't make an economic decision that's worth respecting.

The point is, PaPi and others on this site assume that they have the correct choice as to what computer others should purchase, and that those others are "incorrect" if they have done otherwise. And then often accuse the others of being "fanbois".

PaPi even went so far as to say that the failure of tablet computers was simply because Apple didn't make one, which is... stretching the truth to fit a pre-existing supposition, to be charitable. And if Apple would have, then it would have been successful, because according to him, people can't think intelligently about what product they want to purchase, which is pretty insulting.

I come on this site to learn, and to educate, when I can. I don't want to have to sit through thread after thread of this crap, which is why I'm telling him to knock it off. Let the marketplace make the decision, it's a final verdict unlike anything that will happen here on this forum.
Old 15th September 2011
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
I don't really see it is a gamble. To me, if well implemented, the plan makes a lot of sense...
I pretty much don't disagree with any of this. All good points. I mean, anything in business is a risk, to a degree. But this is a pretty good approach. And if Windows 8 offers the performance that they say it will, and it has the functionality that people have come to expect, then yeah, it should be a winner. And if Microsoft really is able to bring developers under the aegis of the new version 8 OS and really get their app store working, it should be a success.

But we've seen any number of things also look good on paper and not take off for them, and other companies also. I just tried to outline the risks as I saw them... I could be wrong about any of them, I am only speculating.
Old 15th September 2011
  #35
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
A few years ago Best Buy was selling a laptop around Thanksgiving or something for $199 or around there. People lined up for it.

People lined up for these terrible prequels to Star Wars.

I personally used to line up for concert tickets back in the day before the internet, so I could get good seats and sell the rest at markup. I slept out for up to a week, it was fun, I'd have a bit to drink and smoke marihuana and have a good time.
I don't want to continue too long on this side track but there are no discounts at these store openings, there is no limited number of tickets, this phenomenon really is a bit strange. Of course this is just a small group of fans. I've heard from a reliable friend that not all Apple users are crazy. Really! ;-)

(Yes PaPi goes overboard with criticising Apple users and it gets boring fast. He should try to inject some balance and humour into his criticism. Then at least it is ok to read even if one disagrees! :-)

Alistair
Old 15th September 2011
  #36
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
I just tried to outline the risks as I saw them... I could be wrong about any of them, I am only speculating.
Same here!

Alistair
Old 15th September 2011
  #37
Gear Nut
 

it is a really interesting business move as well as a tech move. they are taking a huge leap, but they are also minimizing the risk by allowing for a more classic pc experience.

i think what they're moving toward isn't the "post-PC world" that the ipad is supposed to bring us, but rather a world where your device doesn't matter. you can access and even create the same content regardless of your device. the computing experience will be perhaps more universal, and the hardware experience may be more modular. outside of skydrive which we know about, microsoft has been uncharacteristically secretive about their plans for cloud computing, but everybody knows they are investing HEAVILY in it, and that it probably won't just come out as an itunes-like service.

i think the potential for cloud computing - and this carries over directly to music applications - is in the fact that it won't be hardware/device dependent. if you're getting similar user experiences/capabilities on different pieces of hardware its going to allow you to work on music within the cloud on an array of devices. granted we are talking at least a few years down the line, but early cloud-based sequencers already exist.
Old 15th September 2011
  #38
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
according to him, people can't think intelligently about what product they want to purchase, which is pretty insulting.
So, you think best-selling movies and music are really the best quality? No, most people cannot think intelligently, especially in the US (but, unfortunately, the rest of the world is in the path of our idiocracy.) They need someone to tell them what to buy, what to see and what to listen to.

You may think that Transformer 3 is much better than any Ingmar Bergman movies because it made a gazillion times more money. Or that Justin Bieber is better than Ella Fitzgerald for the same reason. Sorry I don't share your views, and if you feel insulted, it's your problem.
Old 16th September 2011
  #39
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
So, you think best-selling movies and music are really the best quality? No, most people cannot think intelligently, especially in the US (but, unfortunately, the rest of the world is in the path of our idiocracy.) They need someone to tell them what to buy, what to see and what to listen to.
About 90% of the computers in the world run Windows (under 6% Mac, under 1% Linux).. So by your logic, anyone that runs Windows is an idiot, or 'cannot think intelligently'. I assume that you run Windows, doesn't that make you feel like an unintelligent conformist?

I think it's highly ironic that the most fervent 'religious' person on this board is the AntiMac evangelist.
Old 16th September 2011
  #40
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
So, you think best-selling movies and music are really the best quality? No, most people cannot think intelligently, especially in the US (but, unfortunately, the rest of the world is in the path of our idiocracy.) They need someone to tell them what to buy, what to see and what to listen to.

You may think that Transformer 3 is much better than any Ingmar Bergman movies because it made a gazillion times more money. Or that Justin Bieber is better than Ella Fitzgerald for the same reason. Sorry I don't share your views, and if you feel insulted, it's your problem.
No, it's all good. I don't feel insulted. I also have no idea what you are talking about.

For the record, I believe that most people can think intelligently. If I didn't believe that, I would be a bitter and unhappy person. Which I'm not. I'm a positive and forward thinking mother****er.

Which is why I tend to assume that most people purchase computers based on a couple of questions, like "How much do I want to spend?" Or, "Will this computer work for what my stated goals are versus the budget I have set aside for it?"

I don't tend to think that people don't know what's best for them and can't "think intelligently". Like, an ex girlfriend of mine has what I would consider basically an email and paper writing machine... running Vista... but when she gave me the budget, and told me what she wanted to do with it, that's what I picked.

Apple fanboi and all. Speaking of stupid and trendy terms, "fanboi"? Pfft.

And by the way, PaPi: aligning yourself with a 90% majority of the market and decrying others for being "mindless thinkers" of consumerism just makes you look... well, I don't know. Less than cutting edge, no matter how you perceive yourself.

Again, buddy: this forum has had enough.

For the record, I didn't see any of those movies, I also don't listen to Justin Bieber... although I'm tired of the homophobic insults lobbed at the kid. I also think Ella Fitzgerald sucks.
Old 16th September 2011
  #41
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
About 90% of the computers in the world run Windows (under 6% Mac, under 1% Linux).. So by your logic, anyone that runs Windows is an idiot, or 'cannot think intelligently'. I assume that you run Windows, doesn't that make you feel like an unintelligent conformist?

I think it's highly ironic that the most fervent 'religious' person on this board is the AntiMac evangelist.
No, to me computers are just tools. In fact, until three years ago I only used macs in my studio. And I'm not "religious" in any way. I'm not trying to convince you to dump your machine or demean you for your choice of computer, like Apple fanboys do to people who don't share their religion. And since most pro musicians still use macs (because they've become fanboys or because they aren't computer savvy enough to change OS) I'm actually an anti-conformist by building my own computers.
Old 16th September 2011
  #42
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
I'm not trying to convince you to dump your machine or demean you for your choice of computer, like Apple fanboys do to people who don't share their religion.
Mr. anti-Mac Jihadist, your statements contradict each other.

First you say that you're not trying to demean anybody, then you go on to state that most pro musicians use Macs because they've become fanboys or aren't computer savvy enough to change OS. As if nobody chooses Mac because they offer the best experience out there.heh

I think in general that it mainly comes down to money and creative people who appreciate quality and aesthetics choose Macs. People who are out to save a buck and are stylistically challenged choose PC's.

I've said it before on another thread a long time ago, but I wouldn't even consider working in a studio that didn't have Macs, as anybody who would use a PC in their studio is either real cheap, in that they skimp on costs, and their brains are most likely wired differently, making them incompatible with my creative thought process and my view on how things should be done.

Is a chair just a tool also? If I walk into a studio, I'm expecting a good chair, like an Aeron or something. I'm not expecting to sit on a cheap drum stool in front of the mixer, even though both things technically do the same thing.

You said that you see computers as just a tool. Maybe that's where the difference lies, because I don't see computers which people use for many hours every single day as just a tool. I am an artist and my Macs are my instruments.
Old 16th September 2011
  #43
Lives for gear
 

As for this windows 8 tablet, I see that Microsoft is following in Apple's footsteps and dropping Flash from their browser for the tablet. heh

I actually see that as a smart move, and it's also confirmation that Apple was right all along in dropping Flash from iOS.
Old 16th September 2011
  #44
Lives for gear
 

Easy, champ. This is not where you start chiming in about how much better the Mac system is compared to whatever it is that PaPi is using.

OK?

There is no point to that. We are discussing the relative merits of the upcoming Windows 8.

OK?
Old 16th September 2011
  #45
Here for the gear
 

I rather have to say that iPhone and the mac OSX screenshots I've seen all look really cheezy/childlike. I'm reminded of the grotesque original iMac "rubber baloon" look. First thing I did was paint that white. Also pull out the doltish crap like the slow-move-out mouse (which was ergonomically fail when I grab, it clicked automatically eehaa?) I reverted back to egg-shaped normal style. And also the OSX's dock. It is a begining of a nightmare. It pretend to be a kind of program changer but it won't try to act useful for its purpose and come with bunch of cheesy doltish crap like the slow-hide-out animation as if it is fooling the users with its swaying movements. "hey can you click me? hehehe"

But the glossy beveled icons and button I see in Lion's shots... WTF? It looks like going back to 2000's horrible uncouth disigned gamesoft website or something.
Old 16th September 2011
  #46
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
We are discussing the relative merits of the upcoming Windows 8.
That's what I thought this thread was supposed to be about also, until I clicked on it and started reading it.

But, to get back on topic, there seems to be a mistake in the title of the thread, because I read earlier that windows 8 tablets will not be able to run windows 7 apps.

Windows 8 Tablets Won't Run PC Apps, After All
Apps written for x86 Windows PCs won't be able to run on ARM-based Win 8 tablets, according to a Microsoft exec who says his earlier statements about cross-platform compatibility were misinterpreted.


Windows 8 Tablets Won't Run PC Apps, After All - Windows - Operating system - Informationweek
Old 16th September 2011
  #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by schweinsteiger View Post
I rather have to say that iPhone and the mac OSX screenshots I've seen all look really cheezy/childlike.
Whatever man.
Use whatever you like.
Old 16th September 2011
  #48
Gear Head
 

In terms of music production, which are the benefits ?
I can't really see the point in running a daw on my phone !! I find it pretty much unusable...
What is the point, really ? Not for mixing, sure.
For composing then ?
Can you really input notes or midi bricks on 4" screen easily ?
I can't understand ...what am I missing ?

So W8 will allow us to switch from metro to aero.
Today on our production machines we switch from aero to the classic desktop to avoid the resource wasting caused by aero ...
does it mean that tomorrow we will be forced to dedicate 1/4 of our power to the useless graphic effects ?
Could aero be disabled on W8?

Please note, that here on gearslutz, I'm only speaking from a music production point of view, beside that I'm quite a new tech fanatic, so I'm not so negative abut win8 in general.
Old 16th September 2011
  #49
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBX-80 View Post
I think in general that it mainly comes down to money and creative people who appreciate quality and aesthetics choose Macs. People who are out to save a buck and are stylistically challenged choose PC's.

I've said it before on another thread a long time ago, but I wouldn't even consider working in a studio that didn't have Macs, as anybody who would use a PC in their studio is either real cheap, in that they skimp on costs, and their brains are most likely wired differently, making them incompatible with my creative thought process and my view on how things should be done.

Is a chair just a tool also? If I walk into a studio, I'm expecting a good chair, like an Aeron or something. I'm not expecting to sit on a cheap drum stool in front of the mixer, even though both things technically do the same thing.

You said that you see computers as just a tool. Maybe that's where the difference lies, because I don't see computers which people use for many hours every single day as just a tool. I am an artist and my Macs are my instruments.

I think you just pretty much confirmed every one if PaPi's stereotypes of Apple fanboys! LOL!

Alistair
Old 16th September 2011
  #50
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBX-80 View Post
Windows 8 Tablets Won't Run PC Apps, After All
Apps written for x86 Windows PCs won't be able to run on ARM-based Win 8 tablets, according to a Microsoft exec who says his earlier statements about cross-platform compatibility were misinterpreted.


Windows 8 Tablets Won't Run PC Apps, After All - Windows - Operating system - Informationweek
Based on this it looks like there are going to be two levels of Windows 8 tablets..

'Consumer' models that will compete directly with iPads and Androids in the $500 price range. They'll use ARM hardware and a modified version of Windows 8. They'll probably get decent battery life, but won't run regular Windows software, so their success is going to depend on how many dedicated apps are available for them.

'Business' models like the Samsung Series 7 and Asus Slate EP121 that run laptop grade hardware, low voltage Intel Core i5 processors and 4 gb RAM, run the full version of Windows 8, and are in the $1000+ price range. Current reviews of these tablets running Windows 7 are mixed, with the same issues as the old XP tablets.. Hard to navigate a lot of screens and windows with touch input, hard to hit small icons with fat fingers, etc. The battery life is pretty bad too, about 2 1/2 hours on the Asus. Windows 8 is going to resolve navigating the Windows interface, but it's still going to be up to Windows application developers to update their user interfaces to make them really usable.
Old 16th September 2011
  #51
Lives for gear
 

Well, if that article is correct, then I can see a big problem here with Windows 8. Like any of us, I thought the idea that Windows 8 would be completely cross platform- well, computing platform- was pretty powerful stuff.

But if it isn't, then potentially Microsoft will be in the position of simply rolling out a new product to replace a popular one- Windows 7. They've done this before. I suppose we are accepting that Windows 8 will offer a fast boot time and other performance benefits, but we also probably know that this isn't going to lead to a whole lot of the average Windows users upgrading. Certainly businesses won't upgrade just to boot a certain percentage faster.

But this isn't the big problem. If they don't have access to "legacy" apps, that means that Microsoft is dependent on developers to supply their app store. They'll be getting into the game very late, and frankly have a long history of failing at endeavors like this. I don't want to fan the flames here, but Apple has years of development on an established and popular platform with the iPad, and Microsoft doesn't. How many times has Microsoft failed to compete in the music download business? At least twice by my count.

And we're not even talking yet about whether there is even going to be an iPad rival that takes off. So far it's at best unclear, and with HP pulling out of that market, we can see some worrying signs, if one is Microsoft. Apparently the consumer PC market isn't really profitable, which isn't surprising when you think of the "race to the bottom" PCs that one will find in the average box store, filled with cheap components and stuffed with bloatware in an effort to find profit somewhere.

But Microsoft will still have a success almost no matter what, though, because when you go to the Best Buy to purchase your Toshiba Satellite, Windows is what it's going to come with, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. PaPi tell you that this is "thinking for yourself".

Of course, PC users still use these machines quite effectively to go out and club prey with, prey that they can later drag back to their caves. They can throw this prey on a fire... because they have fire... and later cut hunks of this meat off with their obsidian blades and feed their families the charred, greasy meat. PC users do this because they are Neanderthals compared to Mac users.

Hey! Ho!
Old 16th September 2011
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Mats H's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
Of course, PC users still use these machines quite effectively to go out and club prey with, prey that they can later drag back to their caves. They can throw this prey on a fire... because they have fire... and later cut hunks of this meat off with their obsidian blades and feed their families the charred, greasy meat. PC users do this because they are Neanderthals compared to Mac users.

Hey! Ho!
Moron.
Old 16th September 2011
  #53
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Yup, more articles about the same subject:
Microsoft: No Windows 8 ARM support for x86 apps • The Register
Windows 8 on ARM chips: It was too good to be true | Microsoft Windows - InfoWorld

Apparently the buzz over ARM based tablets being able to run x86 applications was starting to spin out of control and MS had to set the record straight and backtrack on earlier comments/insinuations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
If they don't have access to "legacy" apps, that means that Microsoft is dependent on developers to supply their app store.
I agree 100%. The Windows tablets that are in the same price range as the iPad will be using ARM hardware and won't have nearly as much software available, and the ones that will run legacy x86 Windows software will either be running on hardware that's too slow to be usable, or will be priced $1000+. For that much you can buy an iPad and a netbook or laptop.

Not sure about the Neanderthal comments.. But I do have a 12 lb Sager laptop that uses a desktop Core 2 Quad Q6700 processor and could probably be used to kill a woolly mammoth if swung hard enough!
Old 16th September 2011
  #54
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBX-80 View Post
That's what I thought this thread was supposed to be about also, until I clicked on it and started reading it.

But, to get back on topic, there seems to be a mistake in the title of the thread, because I read earlier that windows 8 tablets will not be able to run windows 7 apps.

Windows 8 Tablets Won't Run PC Apps, After All
Apps written for x86 Windows PCs won't be able to run on ARM-based Win 8 tablets, according to a Microsoft exec who says his earlier statements about cross-platform compatibility were misinterpreted.


Windows 8 Tablets Won't Run PC Apps, After All - Windows - Operating system - Informationweek
hard fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkham00 View Post

So W8 will allow us to switch from metro to aero.
Today on our production machines we switch from aero to the classic desktop to avoid the resource wasting caused by aero ...
does it mean that tomorrow we will be forced to dedicate 1/4 of our power to the useless graphic effects ?
Could aero be disabled on W8?
the benches say w8 build is already 25% more CPU/Ram efficient than W7. i know with W7 i just used the modified aero setting (basically disabling the transparency, etc. i think its slightly different than what you were doing by switching to classic desktop.
Old 16th September 2011
  #55
Gear Head
 

has anyone downloaded and installed win 8 and tried cubase or any other daw on it and seen if it ran ok?
Old 16th September 2011
  #56
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkham00 View Post
So W8 will allow us to switch from metro to aero.
Today on our production machines we switch from aero to the classic desktop to avoid the resource wasting caused by aero ...
does it mean that tomorrow we will be forced to dedicate 1/4 of our power to the useless graphic effects ?
Could aero be disabled on W8?
I haven't dug to deep into this but I was under the impression that turning Aero off puts more load on the CPU as parts of the GUI are now not being rendered by the GPU. I could be wrong...

In the Win 8 videos they make a point of mentioning that the Metro SDK compiles stuff to offload graphic processing to the GPU.

Alistair
Old 16th September 2011
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Mats H's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj waxxy View Post
has anyone downloaded and installed win 8 and tried cubase or any other daw on it and seen if it ran ok?
Read my post on the first page of this thread.
Old 16th September 2011
  #58
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Well it is for touch screens. You can't have too small fiddly details because you can't "click" on them with big fat fingers. (Big and fat compared to a mouse pointer). These squares are called Tiles. They are similar to Android widgets.

Building "Windows 8" - Video #1 - YouTube

That said, I hope it will be possible to use smaller Tiles too. And anyway, there will be shell replacements like there always are... Not to mention just running it in Win 7 mode on a desktop/laptop.

Alistair
And that's why a phone should have a certain kind of interface and a computer you have to do real work on should have another.

I fear that MS and Apple, et al, believe the great majority of people are basically passive consumers who want to suck at the teat of the big media providers and maybe occasionally update their Facebook page with some prattling inanity.

Of course, they may well be correct -- but the increasing dumbing down of computers for these dim-witted lumps of nescience need not be met with enthusiasm from those of us who actually use computers to do things.


Old 16th September 2011
  #59
You know what they say -- every other OS release by MS near-totally sucks. Many/most people refuse to adopt it, MS gets half a clue, fixes some of the problems, gets a little more serious about streamlining performance, and turns out a reasonable OS. But then the next one starts rolling toward beta...


Me, I love XP. It's lean. It's mean. It's stable. It's wildly efficient compared to Vista, Win 7, OS X, and, very likely enough the final Win 8.

My XP machine boots up in 125 MB of RAM. It has a system latency that typically runs from 5 to 35 microseconds.

Try that in your 'modern' OS.
Old 16th September 2011
  #60
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
I haven't dug to deep into this but I was under the impression that turning Aero off puts more load on the CPU as parts of the GUI are now not being rendered by the GPU. I could be wrong...

In the Win 8 videos they make a point of mentioning that the Metro SDK compiles stuff to offload graphic processing to the GPU.

Alistair
Yes Aero uses the GPU and Metro simply uses Aero in a way that enables specific functions for the tiling/interactive UI. It's a very simple set of API calls after all..

And most people disabled Aero not because it 'used a lot of resources' but because it was the only method they knew of to resolve certain DPC latency issues when their graphics card driver didn't stay in its highest available power state the entire time (thus pushing the work back in their cpu). Timur has excellent input here otherwise, I long ago found that just running a 2nd monitor avoided having to pay attention to which Nvidia driver versions had this issue, as it seems to come & go with different driver revisions and can be somewhat card specific (meaning certain 400 series cards may show the issue with a specific driver while others do not. for example).
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump