The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using the I/0 in Logic for external hardware on individual tracks. Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Using the I/0 in Logic for external hardware on individual tracks.

I'm looking at using a USB mixer for this purpose, but I've never tried to do this before and I don't really know what I need. I went into a few music stores and asked about this and they both reccomended some 600 plus dollar audio interfaces. I've been looking at the cheap mixers like the behringer and alesis, But I can't tell by looking at them if they'll work and can't find too much info on them.
Basically, it's my understanding that in order to do this, I need multiple inputs and multiple outputs. the compact mixers I've been looking at typically have 4-8 inputs, which would be 2-4 stereo, and then a master out as well as a control room out. Am I correct in thinking that if I set up the device properly on my computer there should be 2 stereo inputs and 2 stereo outputs available? So I could send audio from logic out through, say, output 3/4, and back into output 1/2. I'm really having trouble finding any info on this.
I also have an M-box mini, but I don't think there's any way to do it with that.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

The biggest issue with cheap mixers is likely to be that their i/o via the usb interface they provide will be fixed, so you need to insure that it's fixed to something that will be USABLE in the workflow you're after. 4 outputs going to 2 stereo tracks and 4 inputs returning from only the master bus and an aux bus would be my guess for a typical configuration.

Your guess about how to do this in Logic is correct though, the main thing you'll find you want is to have your i/o enabler addressing something BESIDES output & input 1/2, as the i/o enabler will always occupy them.

In my case my RME actually has the master bus output of my external mixer hooked up to input 1/2, but my main 'output' is 7/8 from the RME, so these are always kept free of any other kind of routing.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search