The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools Is Killing My Computer - Please Help DAW Software
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Pro Tools Is Killing My Computer - Please Help

MAC USER 10.6.8PT 9.0.5
I just got the message that is in the picture that I posted. Pro Tools has been acting up a bit lately and I'm really confused why and hoping someone has seen and dealt with this before.

First off I get random errors every once in awhile like the one shown in the picture, google rarely seems to help in these situations so I've basically stopped looking through the errors online.

Something that does bother me though is the fact that I have to CONSTANTLY do disk "Repair Permissions" else it seems Pro Tools will get the LOW CPU error without even having a single plug in on a channel.

Also during this time my entire computer bogs down with noticeable difference, but not completely unusable. Once I repair disk permissions, things stabilize for a day or two, then I will need to repair once again.

I record from my Macbook Pro 15" onto my internal hard drive.
I'm wondering if that is the problem right there, recording to the internal.

Someone tell me you've fixed this!?

Thanks
Attached Images
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

PT is not very CPU-friendly on the Mac, for best performance record to a hard drive other than your system drive.

Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Get something to really clean it like onyx for mac and also down load the repair permission tool avid has posted in most of it's fix threads as a post it. Do both of those, get a second hard drive to dump, get at least 4gb ram and make sure you balance out your sample rate if it starts to stuter, stop or skip. If you look on the Avid message board they have the way you should run it. PT is very difficult on any computer unless you follow Avid's strict guidlines and also try turning off system error messages where you fix your sample rate....that can make a difference in getting errors that really aren't affecting you too much and keep your system running.

everyone goes through these things with pt when they start. just get it set up right and read up about it and then just clean it every now and then.
Old 13th September 2011
MediaMix
I can't find confirmation but I got trusted advice to stay at version 9.03 unless I was on Lion (10.7). If you are recording to your system drive you will have all kinds of issues. More if that drive is 5400.
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoubleyou View Post
PT is not very CPU-friendly on the Mac, for best performance record to a hard drive other than your system drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaMix View Post
I can't find confirmation but I got trusted advice to stay at version 9.03 unless I was on Lion (10.7). If you are recording to your system drive you will have all kinds of issues. More if that drive is 5400.
This error message is not due to recording to a system drive (which would only result in "drive too slow" errors), unless that system drive has a problem independently of PT. Macs also run PT perfectly fine when properly set up! I should know, I maintain enough of them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg082 View Post
Get something to really clean it like onyx for mac and also down load the repair permission tool avid has posted in most of it's fix threads as a post it. Do both of those, get a second hard drive to dump, get at least 4gb ram and make sure you balance out your sample rate if it starts to stuter, stop or skip. If you look on the Avid message board they have the way you should run it. PT is very difficult on any computer unless you follow Avid's strict guidlines and also try turning off system error messages where you fix your sample rate....that can make a difference in getting errors that really aren't affecting you too much and keep your system running.

everyone goes through these things with pt when they start. just get it set up right and read up about it and then just clean it every now and then.
This is good advice. It's definitely worth trying a second disk (and a PROPER, FW800, mains powered drive, not something small and buss powered, which are fine for transfers and small sessions, but won't be fast enough for full size sessions. That said, I've been doing a long radio play from a WD mybook thing with no issues on my macbook, but there's never more than 20 tracks playing at the same time).

Number 1 cause of assertion errors is problems with the digidesign database. These are no longer on each drive, but in one central location. System disk-library-application support-digidesign-databases. Delete the contents of this folder, repair permissions, restart and then see how you go.

Also it's possible that you've got an incompatible plugin - do you have any 3rd party plugs installed?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search