The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I am using Waves plug-ins less nowadays Dynamics Plugins
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

I am using Waves plug-ins less nowadays

Except the SSL stuff and maybe a few others, I don't use Waves stuff as much as I once did. Sad, really.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

There are so many alternatives to waves nowadays. But along my travels in studios here in the usa and abroad Pro Tools and Waves are the still the most common combination around. 90% of the sessions I get in come with wave plugs. Extinct?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

I said "going" lol. I honestly think some of their plugins degrade the sound. I stay far away from RenEQ. I like the flanger and L1 limiter
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't think extinct means what you think it means.heh

Outside of one particular person's little bubble that they happen to live in, there is a whole world outside their door, and I'm pretty sure that Waves plugins are still being heavily used by a lot of people.

And why is it sad? People are free to choose whatever they want. If you've found something else that works better for you, then that's great, not sad.
Old 13th September 2011
MediaMix
Different strokes. I don't agree with the degrade thing or going extinct. Their past policies may have been questionable but they make some great sounding tools.
Old 13th September 2011
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysProduce View Post
I honestly think some of their plugins degrade the sound. I stay far away from RenEQ.
Oh definitely. Little wonder modern recordings sound crappy, if producers can't even hear how bad most plug-ins sound.

Waves going extinct... Are you trying to cheer us up? heh
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Seeing as the OP has a post count of 5 and 2 of them are in this inane thread I think I've made my decision.
Old 13th September 2011
Administrator

With their recent price cuts i feel Waves have opened themselves to an even wider market, to those who would love to buy in to them but maybe found them a little out of their reach.
And once they go 64bit i think people wont have anything to complain about (except maybe the wup which a people will complain about anyway)

The future is bright i'd say!

Graham
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
With their recent price cuts i feel Waves have opened themselves to an even wider market, to those who would love to buy in to them but maybe found them a little out of their reach.
you can certainly count me among that number.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
I said "going" lol. I honestly think some of their plugins degrade the sound. I stay far away from RenEQ. I like the flanger and L1 limiter
What do you use as EQ then? I whould like to know, cause I find that RenEq is great!
Old 13th September 2011
+1

just bought renaissance maxx bundle the other week and i think this is the best value on the market right now !!!
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

I have been using most of the bundled plugins with PTHD.
To be fair though, we have a great Toft analogue console and Avalon Pre's with Neumann U87's, TLM103's etc etc.

I tend to try to get it right at tracking.
Then I only really need a bit of EQ and compression here and there and it's basically done. :shrug:

Sometimes I feel I could use a TDM version of waves maxx bass as there doesn't seem to be a comparable plugin on PTHD, or at least that I have found anyway....

Great for smoothing out a bass track and preventing a build up of low end where you don't need it. Etc etc
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I am using Waves plug-ins less nowadays... Actually I´m not using them at all anymore, because I can´t, because they are not 64-bit and won´t work even with a Bridge.

Glad there´s other better plugins though like EQuality that is 64-bit and doesn´t degrade/"lo-fi" the sound like Waves and UAD EQs.
Old 13th September 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post
[B]....degrade/"lo-fi" the sound like Waves and UAD EQs.
As with a lot of your (dare i say) bitter posts and by times attacks on certain plugin developers for their lack of 64bit support, i can't help but think you would you not be saying anything about Waves and Uad having a "degrade/lo-fi sound" if both were native 64bit already .

A little bit silly really.

Graham
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
In theory, all plugins and outboard processing will degrade the sound in some way, no matter how little, so what's your point?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
As with a lot of your (dare i say) bitter posts and by times attacks on certain plugin developers for their lack of 64bit support, i can't help but think you would you not be saying anything about Waves and Uad having a "degrade/lo-fi sound" if both were native 64bit already .

A little bit silly really.

Graham
Actually no. Quite silly actually that you would think that. This is something that I´ve wondered for a long time with these "analog modelling" plugins. Since getting EQuality I´m getting much cleaner and better sounding "hi-fi" mixes. I think it´s probably because these "analog" plugins are supposed to bring this "analog vibe" with hiss and other "veil" into the sound, but digitally this "vibe" is actually just "lo-fying" the sound compared to real analog gear that makes the sound better. I think these "analog modelling" plugin EQs still have a long way to go.

I think compressors are a different story though. Haven´t noticed this problem with those as much, but sadly there are only few good compressor plugins out there. Missing my API 2500!

Really loving EQuality! It can do everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtube View Post
In theory, all plugins and outboard processing will degrade the sound in some way, no matter how little, so what's your point?
Some plugins will degrade the sound more than others. Got my point now?
Old 13th September 2011
Administrator

Quote:
...I think it´s probably because these "analog" plugins are supposed to bring this "analog vibe" with hiss and other "veil" into the sound, but digitally this "vibe" is actually just "lo-fying" the sound compared to real analog gear that makes the sound better.
Just turn off the analog mode if you think its too much.

Graham
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Some plugins will degrade the sound more than others. Got my point now?
Analogue processings degrade sound a lot more than digital ones, and a lot of the time it is deliberate and more desirable, so whether some plugins degrade the sound more or not is quite pointless.
Old 13th September 2011
Tui
Gear Guru

No offence, but I get the distinct feeling that a lot of people who post on these threads and rave about how "analogue" this or that plug-in is supposed to sound, have never even used or heard good analogue EQs or compressors. The power of suggestion... And marketing.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have this nagging suspicion that they have lowered their prices ony to lure more people in, and once they're in: boo-ya! Here's the 64-bit upgrade, costs only seven-buzillion $$$ and you WILL need it if you plan to use OSX Lion or Windows 8.

I think they make great-sounding stuff, but these price drops can't be purely altruistic. I'll wait and see how 64-bit goes with them.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

So waves fully can't be used on a 64bit o/s ?
Shattered... was about to grab few newbies and didn't even realize, since I jumped up from xp I haven't used the couple I've got ... guess that's why I still has that o/s on another drive.. But still sux having to switch for different tracks..
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious View Post
So waves fully can't be used on a 64bit o/s ?
Shattered... was about to grab few newbies and didn't even realize, since I jumped up from xp I haven't used the couple I've got ... guess that's why I still has that o/s on another drive.. But still sux having to switch for different tracks..

Yes, they can be used on a 64bit OS. I use them all the time on my 64 bit OS. But when you compose using a 64 bit DAW, it would be nice to have 64bit plugins.

I still use waves alot. I like the plugins. I also like others. It's just whenever you need something and a certain plugin gets you there fast or gives the right options, then I just use it.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

You just know that 64 bit waves is all gonna makes renew our wup !!
Like buying them all over again
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
You just know that 64 bit waves is all gonna makes renew our wup !!
Like buying them all over again
What a load of nonsense!!

WUP capped at maximum of $200 per user account, I don't call that buying them all over again.

Oh and for that WUP fee that I don't have to pay if I don't want i've gotten:

Eddie Kramer sig series
Vocal Rider
Lo-air
WNS Waves Noise Reduction System
Kramer HLS + Pie
CLA sig series
JJP sig series
W43
C6
One Knob
Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter
MPX aka Kramer Master Tape
H-EQ

Not sure if i've missed any out there.
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Waves is doing sale frequently these days. Implies something.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrythave View Post
Yes, they can be used on a 64bit OS. I use them all the time on my 64 bit OS. But when you compose using a 64 bit DAW, it would be nice to have 64bit plugins.
No you can´t, at least if you are on a Mac.

By the way, every single 64-bit plugin upgrade I have gotten, have been for free. With Waves, oh not a chance!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrythave View Post

I still use waves alot. I like the plugins. I also like others. It's just whenever you need something and a certain plugin gets you there fast or gives the right options, then I just use it.
What OS are u on and what DAW ?
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweinsteiger View Post
Waves is doing sale frequently these days. Implies something.
A lot of their plugins are 10/15 years old, I guess it's logical that they should lower the price now. Besides, with all the illegal downloads nowadays, it's better to make smaller profits than nothing at all.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious View Post
What OS are u on and what DAW ?

I use windows vista 64bit (ok, everybody done laughing?) with Cubase and Samplitude.

So, I guess another reason not to change to mac if 32bit plugins don't work on a 64bit mac. Windows 64bit and 64/32bit DAW's and 64/32bit plugins are not a problem.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Seeing as the OP has a post count of 5 and 2 of them are in this inane thread I think I've made my decision.
+1heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search