The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I am using Waves plug-ins less nowadays Dynamics Plugins
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrythave View Post
I use windows vista 64bit (ok, everybody done laughing?) with Cubase and Samplitude.

So, I guess another reason not to change to mac if 32bit plugins don't work on a 64bit mac. Windows 64bit and 64/32bit DAW's and 64/32bit plugins are not a problem.
Vista .. Eewww lol
Cool well i should be good then on win7 64 & PT, thanks fir confirming this for me
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I'm using Waves not at all now. They sound fine, its that they can't load in Cubase 64-bit, not even with the bridge..urg

I sold half of my Waves stuff for that reason. I'm holding out on a few hoping the compatibility comes back.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysProduce View Post
I said "going" lol. I honestly think some of their plugins degrade the sound. I stay far away from RenEQ. I like the flanger and L1 limiter
the ren EQ and the whole ren Pack is one of the best and serious pack they made ...no gimmick ....

for the limiter ...when i want to hear it : valleypeople, when i want some clean ; sonnox
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtube View Post
A lot of their plugins are 10/15 years old, I guess it's logical that they should lower the price now. Besides, with all the illegal downloads nowadays, it's better to make smaller profits than nothing at all.
Yea especially, they hired sales partner who are using cracked Cubase and shamely make him advertise on the video to gain more sales of Waves products. They'll never get any consideration at least from warezers
I have no sympathy for that greedy campany. Shame on mediocre company.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm also using Waves less. So much less that I haven't used them in years. And I couldn't be happier as it has allowed me to find so many better and cheaper alternatives. Currently, I feel that my plugin folder is intensely fantastic with more than I know what to do with, and it's Waves-free. I have nothing against them, I merely realized that they have the best marketing and that means nothing to me. Sound and performance, customer service, price... that's where it's at.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I am using Waves more these days.

They may not have the best marketing but their sound and performance, customer service, price... that's where it's at.

They are the best.
Old 15th September 2011
Tui
Gear Guru

I only ever bought the Ren bundle, about 10 years ago. I think the EQ sounds horrible. The compressor is ok, but there's better for less cash. The bass enhancer is interesting, but I never felt a need for it in those 10 years. The algorithmic reverb has to be one of the worst available, these days. It makes your music sound as if you've played it through a tin box.

I really don't know what people talk about when they rave about Waves.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I'm also using Waves less. So much less that I haven't used them in years. And I couldn't be happier as it has allowed me to find so many better and cheaper alternatives. Currently, I feel that my plugin folder is intensely fantastic with more than I know what to do with, and it's Waves-free. I have nothing against them, I merely realized that they have the best marketing and that means nothing to me. Sound and performance, customer service, price... that's where it's at.
Would love for you to share some of that knowledge ??
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Like someone said above, yes, 80% of their plug-ins is over 10 to 15 years old with ancient algorithms and codes. Lately they updated GUI to look a bit more modern on some of those plug-ins, but under the hood, it's same old story lol. There are much better and cheaper native alternatives to go on.

But I have to say that Waves H-Comp and H-Eq are really fine products.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulderFBI View Post
Like someone said above, yes, 80% of their plug-ins is over 10 to 15 years old with ancient algorithms and codes. Lately they updated GUI to look a bit more modern on some of those plug-ins, but under the hood, it's same old story lol. There are much better and cheaper native alternatives to go on.

80% ?? Where do you get your figures from? More like 8%

p.s. about GUI updates one of the plus points is that they haven't changed under the hood. You can open a 10 year old session and it should still sound the same.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
You can open a 10 year old session and it should still sound the same.
You mean bad?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You mean bad?
Are you saying records from 10 years ago sound worse than the ones today?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Those mixes which were mixed ITB 10 years ago sound worse than those mixed ITB today.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

You've already mentioned yourself that they bring out new and subjectively improved tools but I respect them for not changing the sound of the existing ones.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:

As with above,can you post some of these alternatives ?
If there are better / equal / cheaper I'd like to take a look into them.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Those mixes which were mixed ITB 10 years ago sound worse than those mixed ITB today.
Yes, and ITB mixes 10 years later will sound better than those mixed ITB today, so?
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious View Post
As with above,can you post some of these alternatives ?
If there are better / equal / cheaper I'd like to take a look into them.
EQuality as EQ, the only EQ I need these days.
They gave EQuick for free which has a nice analyser too but I don't think I'll use very much since it doesn't have the EQuality modes I use most (Digital+ and Min Phase, and Analog Phase in premastering)
FabFilter and Flux sound great too but I don't like them as much. You've got Algorithmix and Brainworx but they're more expensive, and I don't think they're better. I haven't tried them in a while and I didn't use them in my own studio so take this with a pinch of salt but really, EQuality is all you need.

I didn't want to like Compassion because I didn't want to shell out even more money for yet another compression, but I put the demo against other compressors I have and I consistently kept getting better results with it (smoother, creamier, warmer, punchier, whatever) than with the others. Most of the time if there was something I liked about a particular compressor I could get that from Compassion after 5 minutes of tweaking.
Some other people say the PSP OldTimer and The Glue are fantastic. I agree although I don't need them, especially after Compassion.

Reverbs, you've got Lexicon, and that other emulation which I've forgotten the name of. And of course the Bricasti, of which you can get impulses for free online (not the real thing I know). Anyway even in their time Waves reverbs were considered rubbish.

Limiters, Elephant, Oxford, and Epure seem to be the ones to beat. The FabFilter I haven't tried but I've heard is really nice and in a way you've got DSM which is sort of an Oxford limiter on steroids.

I mean that's your bread and butter sorted out right there. Most compressor sounds, EQs and reverb are right there. No Waves.
If you want "character" I've consistently found the best way to do it is with a dedicated distortion effect, from subtle to extreme.

Also, Nebula 3, which I still haven't tried, seems to be amazing for most of these things as well.

That's it. This is such a fantastic age for musicians. If only I could afford Lexicon and Oxford though ^^

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search