The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone used the Slate VCC Plugins since 3.5? I need some input on a purchase. Saturation Plugins
Old 12th September 2011
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Anyone used the Slate VCC Plugins since 3.5? I need some input on a purchase.

I was curious to know if there are any Slate VCC users out there that have upgraded to 3.5 or bought a package since the upgraded? I'm curious to know how well the CPU issues have been worked out and if they're really all that better than Satson? I see there's 4 options for the Slate VCC sounds, and the Satson only has two.

What about my other options? Nebula 3? Somebody said something about "Juice" on another thread?

Any input would be helpful for my purchase, thanks guys.
Old 12th September 2011
  #2
I've been using VCC since the beta and now using the latest. seems great to me. I'm using about 10 channel instances plus 1 mix-buss along. there are ~20 tracks with a big mix of other plugs including UAD, Waves MPX, AIR, DIGI and others. haven't had any CPU issues in weeks. FWIW I don't run VI's tho.
Old 12th September 2011
  #3
Gear Nut
 

Nice.
So do you actually skip the board when you mix now?
Do you just mix straight with the plugin interface?

I want to keep my projects ITB as much as possible for my final sum.

My front end during tracking is Focusrite/API/Blue/LaChapell/Telefunken remake tube preamps. I've got some Elysia/Buzz Audio compression for my mono comp and stereo busses and a badass LaChapell 503 EQ. I keep a little analog 3630 around for a gate/exp too. I run the analog comps/limiters/gates/EQ during mixdown for individual channel printing, but I want to do my final mix sum ITB with the analog Elysia Stereo BUSS Comp returning to the VCC Slate BUSS.
Old 12th September 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
bryan k's Avatar
My Specs:

Win7 64 bit w/Intel i7 960 processor, 12GB RAM. Sonar 8.5 64bit DAW

I can run a project with 20-24 tracks, each with a VCC channel along side my usual EQ/compressor plugins on those tracks AND some VSTi's (synths,virtual drums,etc)

And my CPU consumption runs around 22-24% (with a buffer size of 256)
Old 12th September 2011
  #5
Working great so far here. Makes the laptop squeal, but the 8-core 2.something Mac pro is absolutely fine. 50 tracks or more.
Old 12th September 2011
  #6
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan k View Post
My Specs:

Win7 64 bit w/Intel i7 960 processor, 12GB RAM. Sonar 8.5 64bit DAW

I can run a project with 20-24 tracks, each with a VCC channel along side my usual EQ/compressor plugins on those tracks AND some VSTi's (synths,virtual drums,etc)

And my CPU consumption runs around 22-24% (with a buffer size of 256)
Thanks Bryan.

64 bit systems don't even read more than 8 gigs of RAM anyways, so the 12 GB RAM installation is sort of overkill. It's good to know that it will run well on a maxed out RAM system though. I'm running 8 gigs of DDR3 RAM on an AMD Athlon II to boot (3.1 ghz, which is just shy of your intel 3.2ghz). Sounds like I'll have no problems keeping up.
Old 12th September 2011
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
Nice.
So do you actually skip the board when you mix now?
straight ITB now. sounds great to me & the folks I work with.
Old 12th September 2011
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
straight ITB now. sounds great to me & the folks I work with.
Awesome to hear.
I like to make use of analog Stereo BUSS comp when I can, but that sounds like it'll be easy enough to integrate.
Old 12th September 2011
  #9
Gear Nut
 

Overkill

Speaking of overkill, I've read that a lot of plugins don't even utilize quad core/octo core features.

Time and time again, techies are telling me to go for a solid dual core and save my money for more RAM/analog gear. (2 cores is enough, for basic system multitasking). 8gig of DDR3 RAM and a 3.1 ghz dual core processor should be more than enough for any PC DAW. That being said, the VCC 3.5 upgrade is quite new. I wonder how much their software actually makes use of the quad/octo core systems.
Old 13th September 2011
  #10
Gear Addict
 

Most plug-ins don't use more than one core and don't need too. It is up to the host DAW to manage distributing the load of your tracks across cores. 1 plug-in instance will only be on one core but if you have multiple tracks your host will balance the tracks with their plugs across the cores. So it is not overkill, the more cores the better.
Old 13th September 2011
  #11
Gear Nut
 

So, ie: Cubase will make use of a quad core, but the plugins won't? haha
Old 13th September 2011
  #12
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post

64 bit systems don't even read more than 8 gigs of RAM anyways,
That's not correct. It depends on the design of the hardware and OS. The theoretical limit is 16 exabytes of RAM.

64-bit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Windows 7 Professional and up has a 192 GB RAM ceiling:

The usable memory may be less than the installed memory on Windows 7-based computers
Old 13th September 2011
  #13
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
That's not correct. It depends on the design of the hardware and OS. The theoretical limit is 16 exabytes of RAM.

64-bit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Windows 7 Professional and up has a 192 GB RAM ceiling:

The usable memory may be less than the installed memory on Windows 7-based computers
Find me some stores selling comps with those specs.
Do it.
PM me with the link right now. haha
Old 13th September 2011
  #14
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
I'm not sure what your point is. OWC are selling 64 GB kits for Mac Pros:

OWC 85MP3S8M64GK 64.0GB Mac Pro Early 2009 Memory... in stock at OWC

Or 96 GB:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/8566D3Q16M96/
Old 13th September 2011
  #15
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Mac Pros don't run Windows 7.
Old 13th September 2011
  #16
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
That's not correct. It depends on the design of the hardware and OS. The theoretical limit is 16 exabytes of RAM.

64-bit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Windows 7 Professional and up has a 192 GB RAM ceiling:

The usable memory may be less than the installed memory on Windows 7-based computers
Did you even read the link that you posted for me to check out?
It backs up what I'm saying.... haha:

"On a computer that is running Windows 7, the usable memory (RAM) may be less than the installed memory.

For example, a 32-bit version of Windows 7 may report that there is only 3.5 GB of usable system memory on a computer that has 4 GB of memory installed.

Or, a 64-bit version of Windows 7 may report that there is only 7.1 GB of usable system memory on a computer that has 8 GB of memory installed.

Note The amount of usable memory in the examples are not exact amounts. Usable memory is a calculated amount of the total physical memory minus "hardware reserved" memory.

To view the installed memory and the usable memory in Windows 7, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start
    , right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
  2. View the Installed memory (RAM) value under System. For example, if it displays 4.00 GB (3.5 GB usable), this means that you have 3.5 GB of usable memory out of 4 GB of installed memory."
Old 13th September 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
Find me some stores selling comps with those specs.
You are as wrong as wrong can be. Do some more research. Check here and maybe call them and chat about how wrong you are.
Old 13th September 2011
  #18
MediaMix
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
64 bit systems don't even read more than 8 gigs of RAM anyways, so the 12 GB RAM installation is sort of overkill.
One of our composers has a windows 7 64bit Pro setup with 24g of ram and all of his ram gets accessed during his compositions.

By the way, the latest VCC is great. However, the CPU hit is still very high.
Old 13th September 2011
  #19
Administrator
 
Grahamdwc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
64 bit systems don't even read more than 8 gigs of RAM anyways, so the 12 GB RAM installation is sort of overkill. Sounds like
Really?
Old 13th September 2011
  #20
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post

64 bit systems don't even read more than 8 gigs of RAM anyways...
OMFG

Please, do some research before coming out with such stupid uneducated statements. You look dumb!
Old 13th September 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 
shatz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
Speaking of overkill, I've read that a lot of plugins don't even utilize quad core/octo core features.

Time and time again, techies are telling me to go for a solid dual core and save my money for more RAM/analog gear. (2 cores is enough, for basic system multitasking). 8gig of DDR3 RAM and a 3.1 ghz dual core processor should be more than enough for any PC DAW. That being said, the VCC 3.5 upgrade is quite new. I wonder how much their software actually makes use of the quad/octo core systems.
From personal experience I have to disagree. I have a quad core in the studio and dual core at home. Projects on my quad that run about 20-25%, open it up on my dual core and it hits at around 70% on the same project, and sometimes I have to disable some plugins to get it working.
VCC runs great on both but the quad helps greatly when using a bunch of tracks and plugs.
Old 13th September 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Nick Morris's Avatar
 

64bit win 7 can access 192 gb of ram. A dual core w/ 8gb would be tough to get my mixes done with, unless I printed like 90% of the plugins.
Old 13th September 2011
  #23
Gear Nut
 

Well there you have it, a choir of angels.

I must be a fool,
How, HOW, HOW do I get a stable DAW with only 8gig of RAM and a 3.1 ghz dual core?

What a total fool I am, saving money on my CPU so I can spend money on the stuff that really makes your audio gear sound good... front end.

:P

Have fun overkilling your systems for no good reason.

Yes, windows7 64 bit CAN load up 192 gigs of RAM... but dear god, why... I can't imagine ANY software/hardware that would use that much. hahaha
Old 13th September 2011
  #24
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
64bit win 7 can access 192 gb of ram. A dual core w/ 8gb would be tough to get my mixes done with, unless I printed like 90% of the plugins.
While it isn't necessary for me to print 90% of my tracks to keep my DAW stable. (I run 4 instances of amplitube 3, ozone, many channels of drumagog 5.0, etc and never have any CPU problems)....

I *DO* print about 75% of my channels before final sum because I have a lot of analog EQ/analog COMPS on my outboard that I prefer over plugs. Honestly, I believe a certain level of analog needs to be involved in every project during the tracking/mix stage.... however, I have high hopes for VCC taking care of my final sums after seeing v3.4.
Old 13th September 2011
  #25
Gear Addict
 
russellwolff's Avatar
I just did a mix for a record with 48 tracks of VCC + 1 VCC Mixbus...

running at 44.1khz, it sounds amazing. I get a CPU hit, but I am pretty well expecting to with that many instances ;-)

Still stable enough to bounce my mixes though...

Computer: Quad-i7 MacBook Pro. 2.0ghz. 8GB RAM.
Old 13th September 2011
  #26
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellwolff View Post
I just did a mix for a record with 48 tracks of VCC + 1 VCC Mixbus...

running at 44.1khz, it sounds amazing. I get a CPU hit, but I am pretty well expecting to with that many instances ;-)

Still stable enough to bounce my mixes though...

Computer: Quad-i7 MacBook Pro. 2.0ghz. 8GB RAM.
+1
This is great news.
Old 13th September 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
Yes, windows7 64 bit CAN load up 192 gigs of RAM... but dear god, why... I can't imagine ANY software/hardware that would use that much. hahaha
You still need to do more research. Not saying you need 192G, but try using some heavy VI's like Omnisphere and many others in a orchestral piece and you will crack that 8G quickly. In the DAW world VI's rely heavily on the amount of ram you have and the more the better.
Old 13th September 2011
  #28
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
You still need to do more research. Not saying you need 192G, but try using some heavy VI's like Omnisphere and many others in a orchestral piece and you will crack that 8G quickly. In the DAW world VI's rely heavily on the amount of ram you have and the more the better.
This might be true... but I'm a real musician,
who plays real instruments....

So...
haha

Besides, anyone running VI's won't need more than 1 or 2 in a live session (which a dual core on 3.1ghz with 8gig of DDR3 can handle).
Any time you're mixing a project with multiple VI's.... surely you can print or freeze a couple tracks?
Like, seriously? haha

I print my VI's even when I'm on the octocore with 16gigs in Studio A at work anyways.... I don't trust a bunch of VI working together until they're printed.
Old 13th September 2011
  #29
Gear Addict
 
russellwolff's Avatar
I get crashes sometimes, but only on this massively large session that I am running off the laptop ;-)

I have a feeling if I was on a desktop quad, or 8-core, it wouldn't be an issue.
Old 13th September 2011
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
This might be true... but I'm a real musician,
who plays real instruments....
That's a lot different from your original statement of
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
64 bit systems don't even read more than 8 gigs of RAM anyways, so the 12 GB RAM installation is sort of overkill.
So... haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
Besides, anyone running VI's won't need more than 1 or 2 in a live session (which a dual core on 3.1ghz with 8gig of DDR3 can handle).
Any time you're mixing a project with multiple VI's.... surely you can print or freeze a couple tracks?
Like, seriously? haha
You don't know how composers work. I myself freeze VI's fairly quickly but in the composition world of scoring for film, tv, commercials, radio where flexibilty is needed to make changes on the fly and printing to audio hinders that process.
So...haha heh
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump