The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question about Mac Pro PCI-Express slots and audio card Audio Interfaces
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Question about Mac Pro PCI-Express slots and audio card

Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a hassle with the gear in the studio I'm about to build.

I have decided that I'll work with a Mac Pro computer, equipped with an RME HDSPe AES/EBU audio card, which will be hooked up to a Lynx Aurora 16 converter, hence the AES/EBU choice ^^. I was recommended this card because of the excellent performance, and formidable drivers, and it perfectly falls in my bugdet also.

I'm probably going to need 2 of those audio cards, because the analog desk from which the signals are coming, is a 24 channel desk, and the audio card only has 16 channels of AES/EBU I/O.

Now, the problem with this setting is that the Mac Pro only has 3 extra PCI-E slots, and 1 RME audio card takes 2 slots (from the looks of the pictures anyway :D). So I'm one PCI-E slot short, basically.

Is there any way around this? Or should I just change my whole gear planning? ^^
I heard about external enclosures for PCI(-E?) cards, but I don't know if that's any good...

Thank you guys!!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

the second slot from bottom can accommodate double width cards (I think), but that doesn't help if you need two.

The Lynx AES card is single slot, and cheaper too.
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crydevil View Post
Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a hassle with the gear in the studio I'm about to build.

I have decided that I'll work with a Mac Pro computer, equipped with an RME HDSPe AES/EBU audio card, which will be hooked up to a Lynx Aurora 16 converter, hence the AES/EBU choice ^^. I was recommended this card because of the excellent performance, and formidable drivers, and it perfectly falls in my bugdet also.

I'm probably going to need 2 of those audio cards, because the analog desk from which the signals are coming, is a 24 channel desk, and the audio card only has 16 channels of AES/EBU I/O.

Now, the problem with this setting is that the Mac Pro only has 3 extra PCI-E slots, and 1 RME audio card takes 2 slots (from the looks of the pictures anyway :D). So I'm one PCI-E slot short, basically.

Is there any way around this? Or should I just change my whole gear planning? ^^
I heard about external enclosures for PCI(-E?) cards, but I don't know if that's any good...

Thank you guys!!
For 24 I/O with an Aurora8 and Aurora 16, the best way to go here is to get X2 AES16e's with the AES/EBU cabling and Connect them to your Aurora's. Then you have x8 extra AES/EBU lines for future use. These will work for your application wonderfully. They work well with the Aurora's, for which they are meant to interface, but will also work with any AD/DA or Digital Device.
Good luck...
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
the second slot from bottom can accommodate double width cards (I think), but that doesn't help if you need two.

The Lynx AES card is single slot, and cheaper too.
Thank you for the reply .

Ok, I'll look into it!

Thanks!!
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
For 24 I/O with an Aurora8 and Aurora 16, the best way to go here is to get X2 AES16e's with the AES/EBU cabling and Connect them to your Aurora's. Then you have x8 extra AES/EBU lines for future use. These will work for your application wonderfully. They work well with the Aurora's, for which they are meant to interface, but will also work with any AD/DA or Digital Device.
Good luck...
Thank you for replying .

Yeah, those AESe16 cards seem the shizzle ^^! Like you said, especially with the converters of the same brand.

I see Lynx also makes the perfect cables for that kind of setup, indeed. The Lynx AES1605 :D.
This'll make the setup a looooot easier, for sure ^^.

The cards only require one slot, indeed, but after installing one unit, is there definitely going to be enough space left for a second one? :D

Thanks again!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search