The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
quck question: RME multi-client ? Audio Interfaces
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

quck question: RME multi-client ?

Just a quick questions,

If I buy an PCIe AIO card and in the future decide I also need the AES32, will they both work nice together as one audio interface or will I have to do funny external routings ?

What cables, if any, come in the box ?

Does it come with AES/EBU breakout cables ?

Cheers
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

You can use up to three HDSPe cards together and they will all show up as *one* big interface inside DAWs (watch out Pro Tools only allows 32 channels and you cannot change their ordering).

No idea about the patch-cable, the downloadable manual should list it.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcB View Post
Just a quick questions,

If I buy an PCIe AIO card and in the future decide I also need the AES32, will they both work nice together as one audio interface or will I have to do funny external routings ?

Cheers
I assume you are asking if the breakout cables come with the AES card. (why not get the PCIe version?)

No, pretty much nobody sells AES cards with AES cables included, because not everyone wants the same thing on the other end. If you are using a TT patch bay, you may want bare ends or Centronics, or possibly dsub; but you might want TRS, or XLR, and it is possible that you need dsub in a different format... like, if you are using Aurora converters with dsubs and the RME card has dsubs... but one company follows the Tascam pin-out standard and the other follows the Yamaha pin-out standard... and then what about length?? As these cables cost a couple of hundred dollars, it is not practical to try to package all the options and give them away with the cost of the cards.

Most RME cards will come with an optical cable or two if the are optical connections on the card. If I recall correctly the only cable included with my RME AES card was the internal jumper cable between the main and daughter cards, and a multipin to dual MIDI adapter cable.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

thanks for the replies

That cleared it up nicely
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

just to add... to -me-, multiclient means that the sound card will accept audio from more than one software at the same time. I believe that the RME cards are multiclient but I think that ASIO is not multiclient, so it may depend upon what you are using.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's multiclient *IF* you disable that input/output in all software but 1 running app. Ie, you can have 1 app addressing outputs 1-4, another on 5-8 and so on, but not 2 apps sharing all 8.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
It's multiclient *IF* you disable that input/output in all software but 1 running app. Ie, you can have 1 app addressing outputs 1-4, another on 5-8 and so on, but not 2 apps sharing all 8.

"but not 2 apps sharing all 8"

Yeah, that would be one special kind of nightmare.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

ASIO specs are not multi-client for sharing the *same* channel with several apps (aka no mixer in driver software), but that doesn't have to keep driver developers from offering it anyway. Creative Labs ASIO drivers can share the same channel over several apps and for some months now RME drivers can do it, too!
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Just a quick questions,

Cheers
Yes, the AiO comes with a stereo AES/EBU I/O XLR pair + spdif I/O breakout cable.
Analog I/O comes with an UNBALANCED breakout cable by default, balanced version must be bought separately.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur View Post
ASIO specs are not multi-client for sharing the *same* channel with several apps (aka no mixer in driver software), but that doesn't have to keep driver developers from offering it anyway. Creative Labs ASIO drivers can share the same channel over several apps and for some months now RME drivers can do it, too!
If they can share the same channel now I must have missed that in a recent update (in the notes at least, all my driver versions are current). heh
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's mentioned in the RME forum and only the HDSP drivers offer an option to "optimize" the feature (it's better to turn off if you don't need multi-client, but might be better to turn of if you do). There still might be some quirks, Undertone in the RME forum runs a thread and I stumbled over an oddity myself yesterday.

In the end it's not really rocket-science, the driver receives all data and mixes it in software.
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur View Post
In the end it's not really rocket-science, the driver receives all data and mixes it in software.
But is the summing better than my-DAW-of-choice...? heh
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

It uses 46bits in its fpga so obviously it's inferior to modern 64bit DAWs!
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

So... As I only need a AES output and a Spdif input at the moment , I can buy the AIO, then when I've decided on what multi channel converters I want I can buy the matching RME AES, ADAT or MADI interface and still also use the AIO channels as extras ?

Is this across both the PCI and PCIe interfaces, as long as they use the same driver ?

Nice one.
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
So... As I only need a AES output and a Spdif input at the moment , I can buy the AIO, then when I've decided on what multi channel converters I want I can buy the matching RME AES, ADAT or MADI interface and still also use the AIO channels as extras ?

Is this across both the PCI and PCIe interfaces, as long as they use the same driver ?

Nice one.
Yes, correct. Last week we tested a HDSPe MADI with HDSPe AiO, wordclock module connected to MADI and TCO connected to the AiO. AiO was System Linked with a Steinberg SyncStation (clock master) and the MADI was connected to another MADI/TCO recorder system which received LTC over MADI. All sample accurate, take after take, not a single sample offset/drift (well there was an offset but that is normal and was defeated by a "counter offset" in the recorder software to keep things sample accurate).

Long story short: it works great.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

thanks, it's good to know.

Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
It uses 46bits in its fpga so obviously it's inferior to modern 64bit DAWs!
This only applies to mixing *different* channels, mixing different software on the *same* channel uses software mixing in the driver.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

it was obviously a joke anyway (comparing mixing bit depths to memory/cpu pointer related depths...), iirc if you don't do any gain changes in the totalmixer everything is bit transparent as you say.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search