The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should i go to win7
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Should i go to win7

Hi
I'm using cubase 5 with win xp pro and quad core processor with 4gb ram, each time im loading more then 3 vst's and some effect cubase crushes, i heard that if i will switch to win7 64bit i wont be having this problem is it true? Should i upgrade my pc? Im using mainly kontakt 4 and spectrasonics
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Forgot to mention using emu0404 soundcard
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Win 7 64bit here, it has been a dream to work with
Old 12th September 2011
Im the dummy who after 5 months still has no clue with sonar X1, BUT.....In 64bit with W7 x64,I can run stupid amounts of VSTi's,VST's,etc etc,pretty astounding.32 bit is another story TOTALLY! Go for it,almost no tweaking[Hi Performance is about it] Now if I could just complete almost ONE piece of music!!....Ah Fu$K it!
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Wow its great i'll do it!
just to clarify, I will need to install win7 (preimum?) 64 bit, and cubase 5 (64 bit? sorry for the newby questions)
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfir26 View Post
Hi
I'm using cubase 5 with win xp pro and quad core processor with 4gb ram, each time im loading more then 3 vst's and some effect cubase crushes, i heard that if i will switch to win7 64bit i wont be having this problem is it true? Should i upgrade my pc? Im using mainly kontakt 4 and spectrasonics
If you're running 64 bit hardware, it may well work out for you to switch to Win7 64 bit, especially if you want to then take advantage of the extra RAM you would be able to use (all else being equal).

But there's clearly something wrong with your current setup from what you describe. There's no way such a light load should crash your machine unless there is something fundamentally wrong with your setup.

But do keep in mind that Win 7 is not as efficient an OS as XP and that it is designed with much higher 64 bit RAM availability in mind. Upgrading your OS while leaving your hardware the same may actually create a performance hit instead of boost.

However, like I said, it seems clear that there is something wrong with your current setup from your description.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

IT's heavy plugins like
spectrasonics trlian, alicia keys, abby modern drums and effect like ozone 4 and lexicon hall reverb.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Cubase on XP really struggles in these days of large libraries - I have a 3GB Dualcore and I cannot get past 4-5 VSTs and a few FX. To be honest its the VSTs that are the killer.

I too hope to upgrade to a Win 7 Machine very soon. Good luck.
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyspiller View Post
Cubase on XP really struggles in these days of large libraries - I have a 3GB Dualcore and I cannot get past 4-5 VSTs and a few FX. To be honest its the VSTs that are the killer.

I too hope to upgrade to a Win 7 Machine very soon. Good luck.
I suspect much depends on the plug in/library.

I have a 2.8 gHz, 2 GB P4 single core and I run bunches of DX and VST plugs and VIs in Sonar -- and Cubase seems to have a considerably higher VST-hosting capacity than Sonar on a given machine, per the DAWbench tests from a couple years back.

That said, I have at least one VST VI (BFD 1.5) and that I can somewhat count on to be hinky or even lock up the DAW -- if I do 'the wrong thing.' And that is pretty much intolerable to me -- nothing makes me more insane than losing work, I mean nothing. Still, with BFD, as long as I don't try to do seemingly perfectly reasonable things like changing sample sets while a track is playing, I can avoid a lockup; but it makes me nuts. I also finally removed the free East-West library because it proved unstable on my rig.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
I agree with what theblue1 said. Win7 is a great OS and it works extremely well with audio (as in no tweaks needed, something inevitable with XP.) Anyone with a reasonably modern computer (dual core and higher) and audio interface (something still in production) and at least 4gb of RAM (much better if 6 or 8) would be a fool to stay with XP.

But (here comes the big but...), if you have older single-core hardware, Win7 might be too much to chew and actually slow you down. Not to mention that if you have an older interface, Win7-compatible drivers might not be available. Consider that very few XP drivers work with Win7 (and absolutely none with Win7 x64) and that Vista drivers (and, of course, they'd have to be Vista x64 drivers to work with Win7 x64) are a toss-up. And even if they work, they still wouldn't be as stable as drivers designed for Win7.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

One more related question...how can i tell if im running kontakt 4 in dfd mode?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Win7 is great by itself.
Just make sure your interface support 64bit OS well.
Old 13th September 2011
I've been using Windows 7 pretty much since it came out and have had no issues. It's been great!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Forgot to mention using emu0404 soundcard
E-MU's W7 drivers are, um, less than stellar. There's a steady stream of bitching on their FB page about the Beta drivers that were released in June of '10.

I bagged my 1820 and switched to an Echo A4. Great.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Windows 7 64 bit here and I've had no problems
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

OK I'm ready

I have done my research and i think i should upgrae to win 7 64 bit, however i have couple of questions:
1.Does it will make a big difference memorey wise? (i have 4 gb) does things will be smoother?
2.should i use cubase 5 32-bit or 64-bit
3.I'm using mainly these vst plugins:Kontakt Sampler (with all the best libraries) Spectrasonics (omnisphere and trilian) Lexicon and izotop plugins - Do they got 64 bit version as well ?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi
it depends on what mobo & soundcard you are using...
if 945g stay with xp
if x58 go for W7
etc...

you should try Linux...
it can run Windows.

TangoStudio1.1
Ubuntu 11.x 32 bit or 64
Ubuntustudio 11.
KXStudio 10.x
64Studio
Fedora 15
etc...

i think emu has alsa & oss drivers. ffado are only for firewire.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have done my research and i think i should upgrae to win 7 64 bit, however i have couple of questions:
1.Does it will make a big difference memorey wise? (i have 4 gb) does things will be smoother?
2.should i use cubase 5 32-bit or 64-bit
3.I'm using mainly these vst plugins:Kontakt Sampler (with all the best libraries) Spectrasonics (omnisphere and trilian) Lexicon and izotop plugins - Do they got 64 bit version as well ?
i think you should try cubase 6 first.
with xp
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

@kfir26

Another confirmation Hands Down with Win 7 64 bit or 32 bit. Whatever your decision its ROCK SOLID . Hope MS will keep the Solidity of Win 7 platform to Win 8

Good luck !
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Windows 7 scared me and i didn't get it for a while. I regret this now, because win7 has been an absolute dream both overall and for DAW performance. i say don't hesitate at all. Win 64-bit works great for me. i use cubase 6.04 and officially they don't even support XP anymore, and i can see why.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

wait for Windows 8

No sense in getting Win 7 now.

Windows 8 is coming.

By the time you get your Win 7 box running flawlessly, people will be
hammering you to update to Win 8.

Then 6 months after that, it will be all about Win 9, no doubt.
TK
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search