The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Uad2 solo laptop discontinued what's next? DSP Audio Systems
Old 12th September 2011
Deleted User
Uad2 solo laptop discontinued what's next?

Anyone here in the know?

Last edited by Whitecat; 12th September 2011 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: mod edit
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've been thinking of adding one of these to my MBP unibody. I see several other stores are pricing at the same low price, no mention of discontinuation that I see yet. I am still on the fence though as my expresscard slot has a FireWire card in usually to give me enough FW ports, I'd loose 2 FW800 ports that I use for sample library HD's. If I go with a UA2 solo, I'd have to get a FW hub, and from what I can tell a good one would run several hundred dollars. Any suggestions? I just took out my SuperDrive DVD and replaced it with a data doubler - now I have 1.25 TB of internal storage, eventually though, I imagine those internal HD's filling up too, and needing my external HD's again.

I really don't want to end up buying a product that will be discontinued, like Kore was, I almost got one of those the day they announced it's demise, glad I held off on that.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac
I've got one. It's handy but I certainly miss the power available in my 6 card UAD system in my studio computer. I'm assuming the FireWire Satalite system is the replacement? More power and can use with a wider range of systems. Especially as most macs have FireWire but only the 17" MacBook Pros have an expresscard slots now.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshooter View Post
I've been thinking of adding one of these to my MBP unibody. I see several other stores are pricing at the same low price, no mention of discontinuation that I see yet. I am still on the fence though as my expresscard slot has a FireWire card in usually to give me enough FW ports, I'd loose 2 FW800 ports that I use for sample library HD's. If I go with a UA2 solo, I'd have to get a FW hub, and from what I can tell a good one would run several hundred dollars. Any suggestions? I just took out my SuperDrive DVD and replaced it with a data doubler - now I have 1.25 TB of internal storage, eventually though, I imagine those internal HD's filling up too, and needing my external HD's again.

I really don't want to end up buying a product that will be discontinued, like Kore was, I almost got one of those the day they announced it's demise, glad I held off on that.
I bought a Moshi iLynx800.
Really cool hub, great idea powering itself from combined USB and Firewire.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Oh and Skyshooter, what's the firewire card that youhave atm? Been thinking of getting one.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

I have a UAD2 solo laptop. Was thinking of selling it as I just bought a new workstation and wouldn't mind a duo or quad. I guess it'll be worth nothing soon!
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac
I brought a ExpressCard to PCI-E convertor for my studio computer. I can just slot the solo card in and it behaves as a normal UAD2 card with all the others. Not officially supported by UAD but it works great.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

I have an adapter for PCIe also. It just stopped working the other day after updating to UAD2 v6. Not sure if that's why - still need to investigate. Good to hear is works with other PCIe UAD2 cards though. Funny that for $300 plus $20 for the adapter you could get the equivalent of a quad for less if you had the slots! Not saying I'd do this but the numbers don't add up...
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Hope they drop the prices on the duo and quad as some of the newer plugs use a stack of DSP.
Old 13th September 2011
Deleted User
Last I looked the satellite didn't support Wintel machines. I was excited about the satellite until I saw this.

I'm hoping they'll release a more powerful cardbus or windows drivers for the satellite.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YULOGY View Post
Oh and Skyshooter, what's the firewire card that youhave atm? Been thinking of getting one.
Single FW800 built in to the MacBook Pro I'm using only. The expresscard is a generic one from Fry's that gives me 2 additional FW400 ports for my legacy FW external HDs. So if I add the UAD card I loose my ext. HDs not a huge pain, as I could always transfer any needed samples from them beforehand. My audio interface takes up one FW port out of the 3 currently available. I'd rather leave everything hooked up as many older projects will look for certain directory paths to load samples and synth patches. That's the real nightmare of loosing my ext HD chain.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshooter View Post

Been using one of these for years with no problem, it's powered and cheap!

Belkin FireWire 6-Port Hub F5U526-APL-S
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoubleyou View Post
Been using one of these for years with no problem, it's powered and cheap!

Belkin FireWire 6-Port Hub F5U526-APL-S
Trouble is it is FW400 and all my stuff except for the audio interface is FW800.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search