The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools ERROR - Insufficient Memory Avalible DAW Software
Old 12th September 2011
Pro Tools ERROR - Insufficient Memory Avalible

I have a 2010 Mac Pro 2.8 16gb Mmry running PRO TOOLS MP9.
Anyone know of a fix? It happens after I try to change a virtual instrum. Or plug in.
I use waves vers 7, ampli tube, mcdsp.
Old 12th September 2011
MediaMix
It's probably because Pro Tools is still a 32 bit DAW at the present time. Only 3G of Ram can be accessed even though you have 16G. I would suggest you look into purchasing Vienna Ensemble Pro to use within Pro Tools.
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaMix View Post
It's probably because Pro Tools is still a 32 bit DAW at the present time. Only 3G of Ram can be accessed even though you have 16G. I would suggest you look into purchasing Vienna Ensemble Pro to use within Pro Tools.
Wow... Another software.. :( more money.. Come on Pro Tools!!! Anyone else have the same error and found a fix?
Or maybe a way to save memory?
Anyone use Vienna Ems Pro??
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
monitor your ram usage and be VERY careful not to let it go over around 2.8 gigs for protools. It will immediately become completely unstable. If you use kontakt for samples make sure so use the setting where it creates an external server. this will save some ram. Cant wait until protools goes 64 bit. I have 10 gigs of ram. only using 3 is really annoying and I constantly have to bounce tracks and remove plugins. Protools also REALLY needs a track freeze mode.
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedommer View Post
monitor your ram usage and be VERY careful not to let it go over around 2.8 gigs for protools. It will immediately become completely unstable. If you use kontakt for samples make sure so use the setting where it creates an external server. this will save some ram. Cant wait until protools goes 64 bit. I have 10 gigs of ram. only using 3 is really annoying and I constantly have to bounce tracks and remove plugins. Protools also REALLY needs a track freeze mode.
Thanks... For the info.. How do I monitor the power and ram..?? Is that feature in ProTools or a computer feature?
Old 12th September 2011
Does EVERY daw software have major Fu%$ups or what?Im on Sonar x1 and unlike some its kinda stable on 64bit, but I need 32 for ezy d. and then 3rd party plugs seem to make it unwell.Will this crap ever end? Dont tell me such and such brand is "ROCK SOLID man" cause we ALL know better.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

32-bit is your enemy.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
Wow... Another software.. :( more money.. Come on Pro Tools!!! Anyone else have the same error and found a fix?
Or maybe a way to save memory?
Anyone use Vienna Ems Pro??
I've been using VE Pro for a few weeks. It makes the PT experience so much better. PT9 really sucks at memory management. VE takes the load off and I rarely have error messages now related to ram.
L.
Old 12th September 2011

2.75 is max
2gb is actually more real-world

sit with activity monitor on and buy VEP
Old 12th September 2011
So I use it as a plug-in to bring up my VI and Plug-ins?
I'm trying to understand how it works...!!!!??
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
I've been using VE Pro for a few weeks. It makes the PT experience so much better. PT9 really sucks at memory management. VE takes the load off and I rarely have error messages now related to ram.
L.
Lenzo!!!
Help me out GS Brother!!!
How does VEP work! Do I need any hardware... Is it easy to use!!??
Just started working in Pro Tools from Logic and I love Pro Tools MP9!!
Now is coming down to start mixing and I get Ram issues, while having 16GB Memory!
Never had a problem in Logic, but I like the work flow in Pro Tools!!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

It is all software...you open a server port..then start pro tools...make a stereo aux track and insert ve pro...that starts an instance in which you can insert vi's and effects. I usually put Superior Drummer and Kontact 4 into separate instances...meaning they each get their own 4 gigs of ram in a 32 bit situation(it also runs in 64 bit...but I'm running 32) Once you have VE pro up you can add inputs and say spread your individual drums out to individual channels and add EQ, verb, comp, etc. inside of VE pro. It has a delay comp built in so it syncs up to PT. Very simple once you get it up and running and here it's been working perfectly. Google Vienna Ensemble Pro and you'll find youtube and other videos showing features.
L.
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
It is all software...you open a server port..then start pro tools...make a stereo aux track and insert ve pro...that starts an instance in which you can insert vi's and effects. I usually put Superior Drummer and Kontact 4 into separate instances...meaning they each get their own 4 gigs of ram in a 32 bit situation(it also runs in 64 bit...but I'm running 32) Once you have VE pro up you can add inputs and say spread your individual drums out to individual channels and add EQ, verb, comp, etc. inside of VE pro. It has a delay comp built in so it syncs up to PT. Very simple once you get it up and running and here it's been working perfectly. Google Vienna Ensemble Pro and you'll find youtube and other videos showing features.
L.
I've seen the videos but not working aside PT....
Hmmm ok!!
Thank you so much!!!!!!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've seen the videos but not working aside PT....
Hmmm ok!!
Thank you so much!!!!!!
I have some crashes from time to time when using lots of VIs on complex mixes, another problem is PT doesn't free the memory when inserting/removing plugs (if I remember well) so the more time you spend on the session the more chances it crashes.
There's a detailed procedure for allocating the maximum memory to the playback engine and optimizing your system on the DUC. I may still have it somewhere, it's been an improvement here (PT8).
Hope it helps,
A.
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Lenzo!!!
Help me out GS Brother!!!
How does VEP work! Do I need any hardware... Is it easy to use!!??
Just started working in Pro Tools from Logic and I love Pro Tools MP9!!
Now is coming down to start mixing and I get Ram issues, while having 16GB Memory!
Never had a problem in Logic, but I like the work flow in Pro Tools!!
Firstly, if you're mixing then print your VIs to audio. Not only is it good working practice when archiving, but the worst thing about PT for me is that it's not as efficient at handling VIs as other software. VE pro is a solution, but for mixing it makes sense to commit (you can always backtrack) to sounds.

BTW are you using multiple copies of Autotune Evo at all? this can cause out of memory errors, when you're not out of memory.
Old 14th September 2011
Jus
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone else have the same error and found a fix?
Yes. Logic.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll myself.

Here's my story anyway. I have had PT since 7.1. I loved it, especially 7.4.2. was fine, the most stable (well, perhaps only really stable) version of PT. However, once I started using NI Komplete bundle and some heavy drum libraries, working with it came seriously uncomfortable. Not to mention that it was practically impossible to use Omnisphere with it because of the 32 bit internal ram limit. Moved over to Logic; I had had it for a while, but Logic 9 made the case as I found it has practically the same main editing tools for cursor (under different name: Marquee tool, click zone activated) and bounce-in-place (like Audiosuite, but prints all active effects on the track to a new track at the same time = better than Audiosuite).

I have still bought PT 9, for co-operative reasons, and I thought I kind of missed it. Yesterday I opened it and had the first error in three minutes. And it felt clumsy in other ways too. I would not have imagined that. Sad, in a way. PT was the one I learned with. But the lack of 64 bit support has already killed it for me, I'm afraid.

Having said that, perhaps the Vienna thing is your thing. EDIT: I now noticed from your other message you came from Logic. It happens. What exactly is it in your work flow that makes you like PT more, even despite of the errors? I'm interested. (And as you mentioned money, I hope you are sure you are familiar with all of Logic's possibilities until you spend 195 euros on something you perhaps don't really need.)
Old 14th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
Yes. Logic.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll myself.

Here's my story anyway. I have had PT since 7.1. I loved it, especially 7.4.2. was fine, the most stable (well, perhaps only really stable) version of PT. However, once I started using NI Komplete bundle and some heavy drum libraries, working with it came seriously uncomfortable. Not to mention that it was practically impossible to use Omnisphere with it because of the 32 bit internal ram limit. Moved over to Logic; I had had it for a while, but Logic 9 made the case as I found it has practically the same main editing tools for cursor (under different name: Marquee tool, click zone activated) and bounce-in-place (like Audiosuite, but prints all active effects on the track to a new track at the same time = better than Audiosuite).

I have still bought PT 9, for co-operative reasons, and I thought I kind of missed it. Yesterday I opened it and had the first error in three minutes. And it felt clumsy in other ways too. I would not have imagined that. Sad, in a way. PT was the one I learned with. But the lack of 64 bit support has already killed it for me, I'm afraid.

Having said that, perhaps the Vienna thing is your thing. EDIT: I now noticed from your other message you came from Logic. It happens. What exactly is it in your work flow that makes you like PT more, even despite of the errors? I'm interested. (And as you mentioned money, I hope you are sure you are familiar with all of Logic's possibilities until you spend 195 euros on something you perhaps don't really need.)
VEP is the solution if you really need what PT provides and want to go nuts with VIs. I've experience the crushing frustration of constant crashes with tools UNTL I worked out what the issue was. As soon as I addressed the RAM usage I haven't had ANY crashes.

None..

I am actually amazed at how rock solid PT 9 is when you work within its rigorous parameters (plugin versions etc..). Incidentally I am doing a ton of processing and programming with many VIs/automation/playlists etc...

I do sit with activity monitor just hovering at the bottom of my 2nd monitor and..yes..its a drag to have to quit when the RAM usage gets to 2gb. BUT its a hell of a lot less frustrating to avoid the crashes

Best to you all
Old 14th September 2011
Jus
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid View Post
VEP is the solution if you really need what PT provides and want to go nuts with VIs. I've experience the crushing frustration of constant crashes with tools UNTL I worked out what the issue was. As soon as I addressed the RAM usage I haven't had ANY crashes.

None..
Glad you've found a solution for your work with PT. I could have tried that if it had been there earlier, who knows.
Old 14th September 2011
How do I get to the activity monitor? Thanks
Old 14th September 2011

macHD/applications/utilities/activity monitor
Old 14th September 2011
It's seems just a little crazy that a unknown (to me) software, can do/handle so much but my main DAW suffers when being pushed a little..

Loved Logic, after my studio friends kept on saying, go back to PT try it again you'll love it. I did.

I Love the workflow in PT, editing Audio in logic just does not cut it.. Plus if I want to go to one of my friends studios they have HD, just so much easier...

I hope deleting the database and preferences helps......
Trying it tonight!
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid View Post
macHD/applications/utilities/activity monitor
Thanks toolskid!!!!!!!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Firstly, if you're mixing then print your VIs to audio. Not only is it good working practice when archiving, but the worst thing about PT for me is that it's not as efficient at handling VIs as other software. VE pro is a solution, but for mixing it makes sense to commit (you can always backtrack) to sounds.
I usually start printing after the first crash... must be my optimistic nature
A.
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
I usually start printing after the first crash... must be my optimistic nature
A.
I wouldn't know about that...mine doesn't crash!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wouldn't know about that...mine doesn't crash!
I can get you there if you wish to heh
On a more serious note I only have problems when forgetting to check RAM usage for too long and messing with VIs all around wich, as you pointed out, PT isn't really intended for. It's just I'm a bit lazy starting a song in another DAW knowing it will end in PT anyway...
A.
Old 12th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
I can get you there if you wish to heh
On a more serious note I only have problems when forgetting to check RAM usage for too long and messing with VIs all around wich, as you pointed out, PT isn't really intended for. It's just I'm a bit lazy starting a song in another DAW knowing it will end in PT anyway...
A.
Now I'm getting the (-6101) error to raise the buffer size, or remove plug ins.. The thing is I have 0 plug-ins... I imported from Logic. I'm using Reason 5 and Superior Drummer 2.0. With Superior Drummer (SD2.0) I bussed and recorded into audio, so no more SD2.0.
I just installed autotune evo and sone URS and Nomad plugs?
Someone having the same problem?
Old 14th November 2011
Quote:
Now I'm getting the (-6101) error to raise the buffer size, or remove plug ins.. The thing is I have 0 plug-ins... I imported from Logic. I'm using Reason 5 and Superior Drummer 2.0. With Superior Drummer (SD2.0) I bussed and recorded into audio, so no more SD2.0.
I just installed autotune evo and sone URS and Nomad plugs?
Someone having the same problem?
Don't know how but having a bad FW cable was giving me some very loud noise.. I tried everything!!! Before tracing it to the FW Cable!!!
It relieved my 6101 error codes! No more buffer or/and deleting plug ins error !! Thank youJesus

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search