The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Liquid Mix 32, do these freaking things ever work???? DAW Software
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Liquid Mix 32, do these freaking things ever work????

Reeeeeally frustrated right now!!
Bought a LM32 a couple of months ago, went through the PAINFUL process of installing and setting it up, finally got it to work. Then after a couple of weeks it started crapping out until one day it just wouldn't work at all which was a major pain as I'd used it all over a session and had to start from scratch.
Took it back to my retailer explaining my problems and how I could no longer rely on this unit or afford to use it on future sessions with the potential for crashes and wasted time.
They sent it to the distributor for diagnosis, repair or replacement.
They decided to repair it yet after 2 months was told it was unrepairable and offered a refund.
As there is nothing in the price range with the amount of features as the LM32 I asked if the retailer could source another, which they did from out of state.
It arrived, took it into the studio today, plugged it in.....
And half the LED screen is freaking dead! As if that wasn't bad enough, opened up PT and tried to use it, and the controller stopped working altogether. The plugin still responded to the mouse but with massive lag.

For the record, my setup is a Macbook Pro Core i7 with snowleopard.
I had the power supply connected with both LM32's and was using a firewire 400 lead with a 400-800 Moshi adapter.
I also have the correct driver installed that was working with my previous LM32.

If people have them working flawlessly, please can you explain your setup, if people have had similar frustrations as I please post them, if anyyyyyone from Focusrite is reading can you please email me as I would really like to get one of these that works!

I'll be taking this LM32 back tomorrow and trying one last time for a replacement before considering the UAD route.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

stop dsp .....and go native my friend ....dsp sounds nice and give some power to old machine but not being able to open crucial sessions because of hardware issues is dangerous.....
Duende mini owner here .....sounds and work like a champ !! but i went native just because of danger it represents ...
Buy duende native if you can ...eally light on cpu and sounds wiked ....
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

Cut your losses and walk away. I'm having good success with mine now, but it's been so on-again, off-again, that given the fact that it's been discontinued, I can't advise anyone get involved who hasn't been using them successfully before.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YULOGY View Post
Reeeeeally frustrated right now!!
Bought a LM32 a couple of months ago, went through the PAINFUL process of installing and setting it up, finally got it to work. Then after a couple of weeks it started crapping out until one day it just wouldn't work at all which was a major pain as I'd used it all over a session and had to start from scratch.
Took it back to my retailer explaining my problems and how I could no longer rely on this unit or afford to use it on future sessions with the potential for crashes and wasted time.
They sent it to the distributor for diagnosis, repair or replacement.
They decided to repair it yet after 2 months was told it was unrepairable and offered a refund.
As there is nothing in the price range with the amount of features as the LM32 I asked if the retailer could source another, which they did from out of state.
It arrived, took it into the studio today, plugged it in.....
And half the LED screen is freaking dead! As if that wasn't bad enough, opened up PT and tried to use it, and the controller stopped working altogether. The plugin still responded to the mouse but with massive lag.

For the record, my setup is a Macbook Pro Core i7 with snowleopard.
I had the power supply connected with both LM32's and was using a firewire 400 lead with a 400-800 Moshi adapter.
I also have the correct driver installed that was working with my previous LM32.

If people have them working flawlessly, please can you explain your setup, if people have had similar frustrations as I please post them, if anyyyyyone from Focusrite is reading can you please email me as I would really like to get one of these that works!

I'll be taking this LM32 back tomorrow and trying one last time for a replacement before considering the UAD route.
Never worked fine in my current setup (Mac Pro), but I have to say that it worked pretty well a few years ago in my old PC/WinXP.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

My LM32 has been working rock-solid for several years now on my setup... but getting there wasn't without it's headaches.

I run it on a first-gen Mac Pro (2.66 quad core w/ 10GB ram, OS 10.6.8, running Logic Pro 9 and Pro Tools 9).

First thing... make sure it's on its own Firewire bus. (I have a Newer Technologies Firewire PCIe card installed in the Mac Pro, with just the LM32 connected to it. My firewire interface is on the Mac Pro's built-in firewire bus) On a laptop, this could be a hang-up, honestly... probably not a great idea to have it chained with a bunch of other FW stuff, as it's just begging to cause a conflict.

Another thing I learned early on was to put the LiquidMix Manager in my login items, so it starts up as soon as I get into my account. Then, be sure to quit it immediately after the LM initializes. This not only manages to keep things stable, but also prevents the annoying demo lightshow...

When ever you quit your DAW software, be sure to manually quit the LM Manager software, too. This will help keep your DAW software from hanging if you decide to restart it.

Following these steps, the LM has been flawless for me for at least 2 or 3 years now.

I hope this helps!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

agreed...headaches in the past for sure....definately put it on it's own firewire bus....boot the LQM manually before anything else ...in my case i installed a seperate firwire card especially for the Liquid Mix.
(and...tediously... the first card i chose from the 'recomended' list was a nightmare and had to be replaced!)...it can work very well!
if set up correctly. (i use Logic)
I still feel this box gives me a lot of great options regardless of my UAD and many native plugins.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Thats actually really good advice Woodhenge.
My MBP has a Pci express34 slot so I can get another firewire card, just want to make sure it's going to work first with the built in firewire (not chained).
We'll see if I can get another replacement since they've been discontinued.
It really has some great sounds, is a cool little controller, and at $500 an unbeatable price, I just don't understand why it has to be so hard. Even after I got through the ridicously difficult setup, I end up with 2 faulty units.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

i have been using mine virtually problem free for a few years now.

i don't even have it on its own firewire bus.

the main thing to observe is the proper startup sequence: cpu->interface->LM->DAW

very useful tool, i don't care what anyone here says
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YULOGY View Post
Thats actually really good advice Woodhenge.
My MBP has a Pci express34 slot so I can get another firewire card, just want to make sure it's going to work first with the built in firewire (not chained).
We'll see if I can get another replacement since they've been discontinued.
It really has some great sounds, is a cool little controller, and at $500 an unbeatable price, I just don't understand why it has to be so hard. Even after I got through the ridicously difficult setup, I end up with 2 faulty units.
I suspect this is why it has been discontinued..
it's not a box for the faint hearted!
in a way...getting this to work has been an education.

p.s..i found the updates often caused trouble for a while..so once you find the combination that works don't be in a hurry to move should there ever be a new version....with my newer mac it installed fine once i got a well behaved firewire card
also sorry to dis the A&H....i'm sure it is a great desk!... all the current crop are really...progress has been made..!!
scruffydog
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffydog View Post
I suspect this is why it has been discontinued..
it's not a box for the faint hearted!
in a way...getting this to work has been an education.

p.s..i found the updates often caused trouble for a while..so once you find the combination that works don't be in a hurry to move should there ever be a new version....with my newer mac it installed fine once i got a well behaved firewire card
also sorry to dis the A&H....i'm sure it is a great desk!... all the current crop are really...progress has been made..!!
scruffydog
As I found out when setting up my original one.... so much web searching, back and forths, finally found the driver that worked and everything seemed peachy, then one day, just packed up on me :( Started working after a week or so but obviously couldn't trust it after that, would love to get one that works!
When did you dis the A&H?? I had my equal fair share of hiccups with that piece of gear also, but finally it and I are a harmonious productive pair
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Hot plugging (plugging the device in while the pc is powered up) can damage the firewire device due to a problem with the FW connector design. If inserted at a slight angle, a couple of pins short out, I killed an M-audio FW interface that way...
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

I'm sorry to hear so many have had trouble with the device. I've had mine for almost 6-7 years and its performed flawlessly for me on my old G5 and my Mac Pro 8 Core. I'm actually dreading the day that it gives up its ghost or its no longer functional with Apple OS.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search