The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reliable 1155 socket mobo for pro tools 9 on W7?
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Reliable 1155 socket mobo for pro tools 9 on W7?

I'm looking to build a PC for Pro Tools. The Avid-qualified Windows based computers only mentions desktop models from HP and Dell. After a quick comparison of their specs, it would seem that only Intel X58 mobos are "qualified" for Pro Tools 9 at this time, which consist of 1366 cpu sockets only. However, I was hoping to buy one of the new sandy bridge i5's or i7's which require an 1155 socket. So I was wondering if anyone has a mobo recommendation for the new sandy bridge processors that also flawlessly runs pro tools 9? Maybe even someone from Avid could chime in?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgomez15 View Post
I'm looking to build a PC for Pro Tools. The Avid-qualified Windows based computers only mentions desktop models from HP and Dell. After a quick comparison of their specs, it would seem that only Intel X58 mobos are "qualified" for Pro Tools 9 at this time, which consist of 1366 cpu sockets only. However, I was hoping to buy one of the new sandy bridge i5's or i7's which require an 1155 socket. So I was wondering if anyone has a mobo recommendation for the new sandy bridge processors that also flawlessly runs pro tools 9? Maybe even someone from Avid could chime in?
I can't give you the authoritative mobo reply you seek, but maybe my reply will help save you some money. I think you will find that PT cannot take advantage of the fastest processors and RAM out there, nor can it use SSDs reliably. In other words, the more cores you buy for a CPU the more money you waste since PT can only use 2 cores. So while everyone else tells you to buy a 2600k, you may discover PT can only take advantage of a 2500k. Also, PT does not generally love overclocked RAM, which means you can save money and buy the 1333 RAM people turn their noses down on. And, while some people can run SSDs on if they really, really, get lucky, you will do perfectly well with a 7200 SATA OS drive.

Lastly, I think Avid will soon admit that nVidia video cards are actually problematical. You may do perfectly well with the onboard video that comes with, say, the Intel brand Z mobo (which also has TI firewire).

So remember, PT does things a little differently than most DAWs. It cannot necessarily take advantage of the fastest tools out there.
So you might want to look for the right tools for the job, not the flashiest . . .
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

This is also pertinent to my interests.

I am wondering whether to upgrade my PC for a relatively imminent upgrade to PTHD Native on a Win 7 64 Bit system.

I have a Core 2 Quad 2.67 processor and 4GB RAM.
I have regular 10,000 rpm drives. Can't remember which make though. I paid quite a lot for the system 2/3 years ago.

Is this processor beefy enough nowadays? Can I really only upgrade to a socket 1366 Mobo?

Would you suggest speccing a system that is almost a bit lower than the current top tier, performance wise?

I'd like an i7 processor, 64bit OS, about 8GB RAM.
300GB System drive
1TB audio drive
Not fussed about graphics cards. I have an SLI'd 8800GTX setup now. Maybe I could use one of those cards?
Maybe I can get a middle tier ATi card if it's going to mean a bit better stability??

Maybe I should spec a machine and post up my choices here

Thanks for the response earlier, even though it's not my thread, it's very handy to know and could potentially save me £500+ on my next PC Build.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerine View Post
This is also pertinent to my interests.

I am wondering whether to upgrade my PC for a relatively imminent upgrade to PTHD Native on a Win 7 64 Bit system.

I have a Core 2 Quad 2.67 processor and 4GB RAM.
I have regular 10,000 rpm drives. Can't remember which make though. I paid quite a lot for the system 2/3 years ago.

Is this processor beefy enough nowadays? Can I really only upgrade to a socket 1366 Mobo?

Would you suggest speccing a system that is almost a bit lower than the current top tier, performance wise?

300GB System drive
1TB audio drive
Not fussed about graphics cards. I have an SLI'd 8800GTX setup now. Maybe I could use one of those cards?
Maybe I can get a middle tier ATi card if it's going to mean a bit better stability??

Maybe I should spec a machine and post up my choices here

Thanks for the response earlier, even though it's not my thread, it's very handy to know and could potentially save me £500+ on my next PC Build.
Here's an idea. It might be a little expensive initially, but it's absolutely worth it, especially considering you use PT. This will be a system you'll be using for many years, without the need to upgrade.

Keep your current computer and build a new one (i7-2600k CPU with a Z68-based mobo.) Then get Vienna Ensemble Pro and use your old computer as a VEP slave (all you need is a network cable, VEP comes with three licenses) that will handle virtual instruments much better than PT will ever do. Not to mention it won't take an inch of computing power from your master machine.

For the record, I've been running a 3-computer VEP rig for almost two years and I'm extremely happy with it. I don't have any limits on the amount of tracks, virtual instruments and plugs I can use. Disclaimer: I don't use PT, and therefore I won't be able to answer any question that pertains your specific DAW.
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerine View Post

300GB System drive
1TB audio drive
Try the 8800, even though it is over the top. If it gives trouble (DPC spikes), get a cheap fanless Ati.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
Here's an idea. It might be a little expensive initially, but it's absolutely worth it, especially considering you use PT. This will be a system you'll be using for many years, without the need to upgrade.

Keep your current computer and build a new one (i7-2600k CPU with a Z68-based mobo.) Then get Vienna Ensemble Pro and use your old computer as a VEP slave (all you need is a network cable, VEP comes with three licenses) that will handle virtual instruments much better than PT will ever do. Not to mention it won't take an inch of computing power from your master machine.
It is a good idea, this also works very well on the same system, especially with more cores.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head
I've just received the components for my new studio PC, based on an Intel Core i7 2600K. The boards is an Asus P8Q67-M. I've just got to wait for the case, which will be shipped approximately tomorrow. I really hope my Core and Process cards (both PCIX) are running fine with this board. There are just a few boards that still have native pci support. I'll keep you informed.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
In other words, the more cores you buy for a CPU the more money you waste since PT can only use 2 cores.
I'm currently running a Core2Quad and I'm able to tell PT to use all 4 cores.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiZefloor View Post
I'm currently running a Core2Quad and I'm able to tell PT to use all 4 cores.
Telling PT to use 4 cores and it actually using 4 cores are two different things.

From Avid's perspective, stability is always king, not latest/greatest or fastest components. Makes things harder to configure at first, more stable and accurate once PT is happy.
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
I've just received the components for my new studio PC, based on an Intel Core i7 2600K. The boards is an Asus P8Q67-M. I've just got to wait for the case, which will be shipped approximately tomorrow. I really hope my Core and Process cards (both PCIX) are running fine with this board. There are just a few boards that still have native pci support. I'll keep you informed.
AFAIK there are no Sandybridge boards that can run HD2 or HD3. Did you get any different information on this board?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

PCIx in PCI slots... - Page 8 - Avid Audio Forums

Seems like people are having good setups
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replies!

Vienna Ensemble Pro sounds awesome but im stilll not entirely sure how it works or how i could use it on one machine.

I'm looking to see if there any z68 mobos that will be stable the most in Pro Tools. I would like a i7 sandy bridge build more bc it will be a better value and be more future proof than an x58 mobo with 1st gen i7.

Anyone know of a z68 that seems to work reliably in Pro Tools 9?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgomez15 View Post
Vienna Ensemble Pro sounds awesome but im stilll not entirely sure how it works or how i could use it on one machine.
VEP is actually pretty simple to use. You have a Vienna plugin in your DAW that loads VSTi's from the VEP server. Now the latter can be on a slave computer (or more than one, all connected via network cable) or even on the same computer. The advantage of having a slave computer is that VEP takes very little processing power from your master machine (as opposed to loading the instrument directly in your DAW.)

Many PT users who don't want to bother with a slave computer keep the VEP server on the same machine as the DAW. In that case the advantage of VEP lies in the fact that it can handle plugins much more efficiently than ProTools, not to mention it can load VST's and not RTAS only. Another advantage is that VEP can handle 64-bit VST's, even if your DAW isn't 64-bit (as it is the case with PT or Ableton Live.) Needless to say, your OS must be x64. This is actually the only way to take advantage of all 16 gb of RAM in your machine for someone who uses a 32-bit DAW.
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
PCIx in PCI slots... - Page 8 - Avid Audio Forums

Seems like people are having good setups
Ah! Thanks for updating me. After initial readings nobody offered a usable combination, it seems the Q chipset does offer a solution. Still all a bit experimental, if you ask me.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Ah! Thanks for updating me. After initial readings nobody offered a usable combination, it seems the Q chipset does offer a solution. Still all a bit experimental, if you ask me.
Have a loock into this thread: tonymacx86 Forum • View topic - Proposed ProTools HD Sandy Bridge Hack

I know, it's about running PT PCI-X cards on a hackintosh build, but I guess that doesn't matter, as the problem with the most boards got nothing to do with the OS. There is one guy who had success using a GA-Q67M-DH2. That Gigabyte board also uses the Q67 chip-set, so it seems like Q67 with native PCI support does the trick.

btw.: My Case will not be shipped before the 16th. So I/we've got to wait a few more days to find out if the ASUS Q67 is working aswell.

Last edited by noiZefloor; 14th September 2011 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Have a loock into this thread: tonymacx86 Forum • View topic - Proposed ProTools HD Sandy Bridge Hack

I know, it's about running PT PCI-X cards on a hackintosh build, but I guess that doesn't matter, as the problem with the most boards got nothing to do with the OS. There is one guy who had success using a GA-Q67M-DH2. That Gigabyte board also uses the Q67 chip-set, so it seems like Q67 with native PCI support does the trick.

btw.: My Case will not be shipped before the 16th. So I/we've got to wait a few more days to find out if the ASUS Q67 is working aswell.
Thanks for the info. I am only interested because I turned down a few requests for PT PCI Sandybridge systems. Since I wasn't aware of a solid working solution and it does not pay off to do a lot of testing for it (all on a tight budget), I unfortunately had to turn them down. X58 platform no issue.
Old 10th October 2011
Gear Head
This is my experience with the Asus P8Q67-M:

I installed the Core Card and everything was working. The problem with the 2nd PCI slot on this board is, that there is a heat sink just behind it, which makes it impossible to fit the 2nd PT Card in. I didn't want to cut the heat sink away, so I bought two PCI risers. With this risers Windows found both cards, but I always endet up with a DSI error when I started Digitest or PT.

I was just about to send the mobo and processor back and order an older version but then I decided to buy an old 7 slot PCI magma chassis on ebay. I guess that have been the smartest solution. PT HD2 is running like a charm and I still have 5 more PCI slots left.

Well, I've spend more money as I expected (650Eur for the PC, 600Eur for a PCI-X Accel Card as I damaged my Process Card, 200Eur for the magma chassis + something like 50Eur for new fans), but it's still less expensive than going for PCIe.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search