The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools upgrade or Magma Chassis?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Pro Tools upgrade or Magma Chassis?

I need a new Mac. Using an old 1.6 with HD3. 3700.00 to upgrade PCI to ex cards or 2000.00 for a Magma chassis. I wanna buy the whole Native thing but I'm not sold. I feel Avid is back pedaling... making up for so much lost market shares... too little too late. Any takers Thanks,
Tim
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

I've been using a Magma for several years now with my PCI HD core Accel and Process cards and a newer Macpro host PCIE comp. Works great right out the box. The only issue I had was with the noisy PS fans from the gen I bought. magma fixed it tho I had to eat a lot of shipping cost. Very quiet now though I bought a quiet box to house it that's a bit noisy...ah the facts of our audio life.
Old 12th September 2011
Move to the PCIe cards. I did it a few years back and couldn't be happier. You can use a Magma chassis but there is a small amount of increased latency and if you're not planning on going higher than an HD3 you'll be better off going the PCIe route. Plus the PCIe CORE is an Accel card which means the Accel only plugins will run across all 3 of your cards.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

I went the magma route. Couldn't be happier. You can go to a HD6 and STILL save money over the Avid upgrade. There is a slight bit of latency induced, but beyond my initial concern, it hasn't slowed me down for a second.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Guys-
How much latency are we talking? I track 5 piece bands at most. 5 sends... 20 tracks or so....
thanks,
Tim
Old 5th October 2011
Gear Maniac

latency

looking at this magma option too. Talk about the latency someone??????????
Old 5th October 2011
Gear Addict

With Magma you can save for pair of used PCI-X Accels and increase you system to HD5.
I did not notice the increased latency.
Old 5th October 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
I wanna buy the whole Native thing but I'm not sold.
You might want to read this thread: HD Native vs HD6 feature mixing shoot out

Anyway, I don't think right now is a good time to invest in anything that has to do with the current TDM technology. (Whether it be the cards themselves or a Magma chassis to house them). If the rumours can be believed, Avid will be bringing out a new DSP based system (not the same as the current TDM systems) before the end of the year.

Alistair

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search