The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sometimes computers really bug me... Major dropouts when there should be no reason!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sometimes computers really bug me... Major dropouts when there should be no reason!

Hey everybody, I recently picked up a few MR816X's, and they were playing quite well on my system the way it was (I had recorded 16 tracks simultaneously with no issues whatsoever), and then after upgrading my motherboard and RAM, I can't even record a single track without major problems!

I went from a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H (with the latest BIOS available) with 4 GB of DDR2-800 (some super cheap PQI RAM), to a Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H (also with the latest BIOS) with 16 GB of DDR3-1600 (G.Skill Ripjaws).

Both boards have TI Firewire chipsets.

I'm running Win7 64, and I've tried Cubase 5 and Reaper, and the recording performance is absolutely terrible either way.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled all Yamaha/Steinberg drivers, and no luck. Windows update certainly didn't do anything to help.

At first, (with the new Mobo and RAM) the ASIO time usage overload light in Cubase was flashing on about every 1.5 seconds (it NEVER came on with the old Mobo/RAM); After reinstalling the Steinberg drivers, it no longer flashes on at all, but I still can't even record a single track at 24/48 without major dropouts/clicks/pops/etc...

The ONLY things changed were the MoBo and RAM. I have plenty of RAM available, and all 6 cores are showing very minimal usage... Any ideas as to what I can do to find/fix the problem?

Thanks in advance!!!
Steve
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

You didn't just drop your hard drive onto the new motherboard did you?
If so.. there's your problem!

you'll need to reinstall the OS.. along with the new motherboards drivers (it should have come with a disk) (and whatever else is connected, eg videocard).
If it were the exact same mobo, you can just drop in the hard drive, otherwise you need to reinstall.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've NEVER reinstalled an OS before when upgrading MoBo's, and never had a problem before!?!

I have no problem reinstalling the OS if that will fix this, I just didn't think it was necessary.

Everything else (video, LAN, etc) is integrated with the MoBo, and I did install the new drivers for all of that stuff too.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not starting fresh (OS/drivers) with a new mobo (at least a different model mobo) can cause all sorts of strange issues. I'm surprised it hasn't caused problems in the past. You must be one of the lucky ones! hehe.

That would be my first port of call for troubleshooting.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks! I'll do a fresh install in the morning and see what that does for me!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

spend some time checking out the bios manual. you are required to set BIOS when setting up a new system.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

if the reinstall doesnt work I would try a pcie firewire card
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
spend some time checking out the bios manual. you are required to set BIOS when setting up a new system.
Yep... I've already set everything in the BIOS the way it's supposed to be!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

check latency with one of the popular latency checkers. Typically, a networking card is a culprit.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, I did a fresh install of the OS... Which I forgot meant that I also had to reinstall every other piece of software on the system!

It took me a good 6+ hours, but so far, it seems like everything is working perfectly!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Filpansick View Post
Well, I did a fresh install of the OS... Which I forgot meant that I also had to reinstall every other piece of software on the system!

It took me a good 6+ hours, but so far, it seems like everything is working perfectly!

Glad that's sorted! let us know if things change.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search