The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite pro 24 , DSP worth the extra $ ?? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Focusrite pro 24 , DSP worth the extra $ ??

Just wanted to see if anyone who has, or has use this into can vouch for the DSP functionality. Is it worthwhile the extra $100 and so you really use the features much ?
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

BUMP
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't have one of these but I have a Saffire Pro 40. It is an excellent interface unit that I've been using for a couple of years. One plus is the excellent Focusrite preamps. They are what I call "transparent" - what you input is what is recorded. I also have an MAudio unit (Ultra 8R) and I can't say the same thing for their preamps.
Old 12th September 2011
I really like the 24 DSP. It's hard to say if it's worth the extra $100 in your case. The VRM sounds cool, that I don't end up using much. But having low latency tracking compression and verb is a big plus. I definitely don't regret it but that's the best I can say.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
I don't have one of these but I have a Saffire Pro 40. It is an excellent interface unit that I've been using for a couple of years. One plus is the excellent Focusrite preamps. They are what I call "transparent" - what you input is what is recorded. I also have an MAudio unit (Ultra 8R) and I can't say the same thing for their preamps.
From what I've heard the 24 and the 40 have the same pre's, I don't need that many I/O's although the rack mounted version would be nice.

What do you normally do if you want a little more colour ?
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks Mike.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

If I want any "colour" and I assume you mean any different sounds or effects, they are either added before it gets to the Saffire Pro 40, such as adding effects with a POD XT, or I add whatever I want in Sonar (my recording program).

ADDED, I have one of the VRM boxes. I don't mixdown with it, I rely on my studio monitors and my "ears", but I do use it after mixdown to see what it will sound like in different configurations.
Old 12th September 2011
I also have the Pro 40 and LOVE it. It comes through time and again. Definitely worth the $$
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks again guys,
Just wondering I had someone bring up latency as an issue due to the firwire chipset in another thread. Have any of you experiened issues ?
Btw I'll be using PT and Reason mainly.
Old 13th September 2011
latency has been a literal non-issue ever since I switched to Focusrite. I've never had to adjust anything to compensate. It just...works!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search