The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
002R Power harness ?...Avid is being unhelpful Saturation Plugins
Old 12th September 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

002R Power harness ?...Avid is being unhelpful

So my 002R is doing the classic no power/firewire connection . I pulled the top off and wiggled the cables and it fired right back up. I know the harness is bad.

I contacted Avis since Digidesign is gone and they gave me the run around. $50 for the harness and I had to buy a support ticket which was $25 to even talk to them because my 002R was bough second hand and not registered to me.

Anybody know where I can source on of these or another contact at Avid to get one for replacement ?
Old 12th September 2011
  #2
Deleted User
Guest
1. If you bought it 2nd hand, the registration should have been transferred over to you.
I know since I sold mine and filled out a form to send in for that so the buyer could register it. You should have gotten the 002r AND Protools that the guy had as well in the purchase.

2. Your wanting a free part for a product that you technically dont even own since its not registered to you. Just sayin

3. The 002r has been DC'd for a long time now, therefore the parts supply is probably getting low now hence the $50 charge. Be glad honestly, BOSS wanted $450 for a board on my drum machine and the unit new is only $500!!

4. You can try ebay but I doubt youll find one.

5. I think there is a fix you can do for this yourself if Im remembering correctly. You should check the DUC for that and see
Old 12th September 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

The unit was never registered by the original owner either, so I would would technically be the first owner. I don't want a "free" part. I already had to buy a support ticket for $25 to even speak to anyone !

It's widely know the harness is a faulty design and a potential hazard. The harness use to be $20 when Digi still ran things, so now they want $50 on top of $25 I already payed ?

DUC ?
Old 12th September 2011
  #4
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
The unit was never registered by the original owner either, so I would would technically be the first owner. I don't want a "free" part. I already had to buy a support ticket for $25 to even speak to anyone !

It's widely know the harness is a faulty design and a potential hazard. The harness use to be $20 when Digi still ran things, so now they want $50 on top of $25 I already payed ?

DUC ?
If your the first owner then register it so you can have support

$75 or a new I/O box, you pick

If I recall the unit had 2 issues, the power harness being one and I cant remember the other. It was on the inside as well Im thinking

The DUC is the forum for avid, used to be called digidesign user conference(DUC)
heres the link:
Avid Audio Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Pro Tools LE, MP & M-Powered Native Systems - Avid Audio Forums

hope that helps.
Old 12th September 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

Seems that after doing some research on the Avid forums, Avid does not offer the replacement harness anymore as a free replacement or to purchase through them? ?..but yet the support quoted me $50 ?

WTF?

Seems I have to go through an authorized retailer, service center, or reseller...

Anyone here got any leads ?

***Also, after more searching it seems that no one can exactly place what the problem is as it happens even after the repalacement ? The pins are metal, the connectors on the wires in the plug are metal, how are they losing connection ? There is no oxidation on either connecting points.

I might have my buddy that does Mil-Spec soldiering to fix it up with no connectors at all, therefore eliminating any chance of failure in the future
Old 12th September 2011
  #6
They're disimilar metals - the newer replacement kits came with some deoxit.

Galvanic corrosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rail
Old 12th September 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

Nice link ...Good read !

Yes I see that connectors (harness are made of a cheap tin or alum and the pins (board mounts) are a mild steel (think sewing needle materiel)

Eliminating the connectors with straight soldiering is a definite fix, correct ?
Old 12th September 2011
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
Seems that after doing some research on the Avid forums, Avid does not offer the replacement harness anymore as a free replacement or to purchase through them? ?..but yet the support quoted me $50 ?

WTF?

Seems I have to go through an authorized retailer, service center, or reseller...

Anyone here got any leads ?

***Also, after more searching it seems that no one can exactly place what the problem is as it happens even after the repalacement ? The pins are metal, the connectors on the wires in the plug are metal, how are they losing connection ? There is no oxidation on either connecting points.

I might have my buddy that does Mil-Spec soldiering to fix it up with no connectors at all, therefore eliminating any chance of failure in the future
Well, if you have a look on the avid site, you'll get the list of authorised service centres in your area. We have no idea where you are, so can't help you there!

I could tell you the uk service centre is technical earth in London, but that's of no help if you live in Woolloomoolloo, NSW, Australia....
Old 12th September 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

Florida, USA
Old 12th September 2011
  #10
Gear Head
 

You don't need a new harness, the problem is caused by the two different metals reacting and forming a layer of oxidization between them. Simply unplugging and re-seating all of the harness connections will scrape the microscopic layer of oxidization off the surface and everything will be fine.

Do it once every 6 months (maybe more often in a humid environment), to be on the safe side. I leave the bottom of my 002 with only 4 screws in, just in case it goes screwy mid-session, that has only happened once (obviously not cool) but it's a 10 min process to whip the bottom off and re-seat the connectors.

Now PT9 is usable with all interfaces, the extra fee for a harness would be better put towards an upgrade.
Old 12th September 2011
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
Florida, USA
well then look on avid.com for the service centre nearest to you. I'm not doing it for you!
Old 12th September 2011
  #12
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
Eliminating the connectors with straight soldiering is a definite fix, correct ?

I believe a lot of guys did just that BTW
Old 14th September 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

As an update, I pulled each pin out of the connectors and lightly sanded (1000 grit ) then and cleaned them with electronics cleaner. I also sanded (lightly) the pins on the board as well.

Put it all back together and it worked perfect today through a 8 hour session !

Wonder how long this will last...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump