The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your most used plugin vocal compressor? Dynamics Plugins
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Your most used plugin vocal compressor?

Some posts have discussed this but they're a little old. I wonder what guys are using lately for vocal comp plugs. For me it's mostly CLA-76 Bluey (not Blacky). If I'm ITB I like what it does to the sound, hard to really describe, but it gets me in the ballpark of what (in my subjective interpretation) hardware does, which makes me happy.

Anyone mainly use Softube FET, Softube CL-1B, etc.?, some others? There are dozens of great ones.

I usually work on uptempo stuff, but I think if I were doing slower acoustic or ballad type material I might look elsewhere...I'd probably use the Softube CL-1B on that. Like if it were a Tori Amos style vocal.

Haven't had the best luck doing layers of parallel compression ITB, especially on vocals, but if you have..?
Old 12th September 2011
Cl-1B for the tone on leads and RS-124 for the clampdown on backing vox.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
Haven't had the best luck doing layers of parallel compression ITB, especially on vocals, but if you have..?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't really work ITB, too many issues with latency and phase etc. at lengths of a half sample size or less. There are quite a few threads talking about this. However there are a number of ways to do it OTB and come back in. Avenson Blend, summing mixer etc.

I think CLA and the CL1b plugs are still the most popular. I really like the CLA 176 on vocals.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

i sometimes duplicate the lead and do the pitch +/- a few cents trick, hard pan, sometimes I put different compressors on the sides and put the Bluey CLA76 on the main centered vocal. Forgot to mention that.

Also the only time I don't put the CLA76 on the lead, because sometimes i switch up and put the CLA on the pitched hard panned things and compress those harder and use the Softube CL-1B on the main lead and let it breathe just a little more.

variations on the theme...if a mix screams out for 'make me sound more radio plastic' and i try to respect that as a legitimate aesthetic [and then roll off some highs for good measure, fight the good fight]
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

don't have softube yet but I will be getting it soon.

Right now McDsp Ultimate compressor (Neve 33609, and LA2A) and Sonnox dynamics channel are my favorite compressors for vocals.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I track with compression on the vocal, but then if I need more it's usually the URS CSP. On background vocal groups it's L3-LL.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
UAD 1176. Waves Rvox sometimes. I also plan on trying some more of the nebula stuff soon.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head
Yes, CLA 76 mostly. It doesn't have to be the bluey though.
CLA 2A once in a while.
For an aggressive sound TG 12413's 2005 version in limit mode adds some magic.
For BGV's the Waves SSL bus comp is working great on my current project.
And surprisingly, I've found the Forcusrite red series compressor (d2 or d3?) to work very well on a choir.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Dynamic Spectrum Mapper

Love what this does for esses & overall smoothing.
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotonic View Post
Haven't had the best luck doing layers of parallel compression ITB, especially on vocals, but if you have..?

It doesn't really work ITB, too many issues with latency and phase etc. There are quite a few threads talking about this. However there are a number of ways to do it OTB and come back in. Avenson Blend, summing mixer etc.

I think CLA and the CL1b plugs are still the most popular. I really like the CLA 176 on vocals.
No problem doing parallel compression ITB on vox or drums, etc on my setup (using Ableton Live 8) with ADC turned on.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Most used plugin for vox is the UAD LA-2A

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 12th September 2011
Haha.....

Ren Vox for pop vox, sometimes followed by something with a bit more "character".

Ren Comp for less obvious limiting.

I know, I know, they aren't visually impressive enough, how could they possibly get the job done?
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

PSP oldTimer is great! 64-bit support, and now they don't require the iLok.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

I use the one in Voxengos Voxformer. Will be adding IK's LA-2a and 1176 at some point.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Fet , Cl1B all the way .....glue with the ssl duende on bus (vocals witch is where my buses hook +verse go to) .....i'm also exploring that natural comp i get with the waves MPX
On choruses as i have a voice left and one right ...to really keep some balanced in dynamic ...La2a
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
The CL1b for acoustic natural bold vocals matched with my great river can be great for something lush. The blue cla76 is one that gets used a lot in rock mixes. If I was to go for a quick setup it would be the glue. There is really nothing that plugin doesn't work on well plus it has a wet dry. I've been liking the samson console emulation mixed in with my comps as well as messing around the the waves mpx. I really like compassion on a lot of sources, but haven't tried it yet on vocals.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Yeah speaking of using console emulation at the same time as nice plugin compressors, I've recently gotten Slate VCC and I think by putting it first in the lineup of plugins on vocals it tends to improve the performance of a compressor that comes after. I do VCC with emulated Neve or Trident driven/saturated all the way, which gives an interesting subtle improvement, then low cut (so that VCC can generate some harmonics or intermodulation distortion based on those low frequencies before I cut them), then compression, then any boosting of highs, usually a completely low Q shelf boost of 2 dB at 20K and the extremely low shelf affects frequencies as low as 12k very slightly.

I have never used Softube FET, I wonder how you guys think it performs next to Waves' CLA 76 blue/black on vocals?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
The samson is really cool as a first, especially with the gain to crank up with how you hit the compressor with it's saturation and fat option. It really works well together. A lot of people set the comp and that's it, but playing with how much you drive into it, along with what's before it makes a big difference as well. Paying attention and molding every detail is everything. I try not to get too OCD though, but it's so much easier to get that way in the digital age vs commiting in the analog world imo. It's good and bad at the same time, the many options we have and the recall.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

RComp always goes on an insert.

BF76 goes on a bus with just a touch going to the vocal track.

I compress with hardware on the way in as well.

Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Waves 1176, UAD 1176, UAD LA2A
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

I stopped using the Softube CL1b, it's the only compressor plugin I have that starts to sound extremely bad as soon as you set it to have a fast release. I can't imagine the real hardware sounds like that.. I hope not!

Lately, I have the Waves CLA-2A and CLA-76 together on the Lead vocal. I like this duo a lot!!
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

DSM
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

CLA-76
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

For plugs - Waves CLA 1176. Waves Rvox & RComp. Sometimes SSL Channel.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recorder2 View Post
Yeah speaking of using console emulation at the same time as nice plugin compressors, I've recently gotten Slate VCC and I think by putting it first in the lineup of plugins on vocals it tends to improve the performance of a compressor that comes after. I do VCC with emulated Neve or Trident driven/saturated all the way, which gives an interesting subtle improvement, then low cut (so that VCC can generate some harmonics or intermodulation distortion based on those low frequencies before I cut them), then compression, then any boosting of highs, usually a completely low Q shelf boost of 2 dB at 20K and the extremely low shelf affects frequencies as low as 12k very slightly.

I have never used Softube FET, I wonder how you guys think it performs next to Waves' CLA 76 blue/black on vocals?

I demoed both before buying the fet ....the fet is way more versatile and have the fastest attack and way more versatyle (mix/wet knob, lookeahead ...extenrnal and interanl side chain ...)
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
Cl-1B for the tone on leads and RS-124 for the clampdown on backing vox.
+1 on the 124 on bkgv, freakin' awesome

I go hw on leads, if ITB it changes every time
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

RComp for upward in front of L1 for peaks.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

UAD LA-2a
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

CLA-76
LA-2A (Bomb Factory)
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Voxengos Voxformer is Brilliant !! has it all and sounds great ! then I just tack on the UAD LA-2A on the end of that . Perfect sound for sure with in your face qualities .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search