The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Z68 motherboard choice to run Fireface 400 Audio Interfaces
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
New Z68 motherboard choice to run Fireface 400

Hey guys, thanks to everyone's help, I have decided to go with an RME Fireface 400.

I have specced up my new PC and the last choice to be made is:

Do I purchase "Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5 Intel MainBoard (B3 Stepping)" which contains an onboard TI firewire chipset? Or go with the "Asus P8Z68-V-PRO" and purchase a Firewire PCIe TI chipset card (the ASUS has a VIA chipset).

The SIIG cards seem to be the most popular but I'll have to import one from the US as we don't have them here in Australia. I also found a brand called Manhattan that we can get in AU with a TI chipset: MANHATTAN : FireWire 400 PCI Express Card Do you know if the specific model of chipset makes a difference?

I'm currently running an ASUS P5K-E and love it, haven't used Gigabyte for many years.

What do you think? Any experiences with either board (or similar boards) welcome.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

go for the pcie card just incase their are any issues with bridge or media controllers with the onboard FW
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundpalace View Post
Hey guys, thanks to everyone's help, I have decided to go with an RME Fireface 400.

I have specced up my new PC and the last choice to be made is:

Do I purchase "Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5 Intel MainBoard (B3 Stepping)" which contains an onboard TI firewire chipset? Or go with the "Asus P8Z68-V-PRO" and purchase a Firewire PCIe TI chipset card (the ASUS has a VIA chipset).

The SIIG cards seem to be the most popular but I'll have to import one from the US as we don't have them here in Australia. I also found a brand called Manhattan that we can get in AU with a TI chipset: MANHATTAN : FireWire 400 PCI Express Card Do you know if the specific model of chipset makes a difference?

I'm currently running an ASUS P5K-E and love it, haven't used Gigabyte for many years.

What do you think? Any experiences with either board (or similar boards) welcome.
Gigabyte's newer Z68 mobos (including the model you're considering) have SSD caching, which is not offered by Asus. As far as I know, it's still their exclusive. Now, how important that is I don't actually know, in fact I'm about to build a new 2600k system too and I was wondering if that system can really have some tangible advantages for us DAW users. I know how it works, but I don't know if it's something that can be really useful in audio recording.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
Gigabyte's newer Z68 mobos (including the model you're considering) have SSD caching, which is not offered by Asus. As far as I know, it's still their exclusive. Now, how important that is I don't actually know, in fact I'm about to build a new 2600k system too and I was wondering if that system can really have some tangible advantages for us DAW users. I know how it works, but I don't know if it's something that can be really useful in audio recording.
Really good point actually, because I will be using an SSD on the new PC. I've been using one now and have found the performance improvements significant, for day to day use and just general smoothness while using Cubase.

Here are the specs I have listed at the moment:

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 II
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5 Intel MainBoard (B3 Stepping)
CPU: Intel CPU Core i7-2600K
RAM: Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B)
Graphics: Asus nVidia GTX560
SSD OS Drive & Project Drive: Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD 2.5"
Data Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
Optical: Pioneer Blu-Ray Burner with Software (BDR-206BKR)

This all comes to around $1750 AU.

Pretty happy with this combo. As much as I had settled on the RME, I'll probably go with the MBox 3 Pro ... but that's another discussion ...
Old 12th September 2011
Be sure to let all know how this set up runs,as Im sure it will be of interest to all wanting to do a new rig with the i7 26K,cheers.
Old 19th September 2011
So soundy,hows this mobo combo tripping?Please tell.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
So soundy,hows this mobo combo tripping?Please tell.
Hey mate, well I just ordered my RME Fireface UC today. The plan is to make my transition slowly. I will first use the Fireface for a few weeks in place of my Layla3G and if all goes well, I'll go ahead and build the new PC.

I'm not 100% set on the Gigabyte board now that I've chosen a USB 2.0 interface instead of the Fireface 400. To be honest, I've been incredibly happy with my current ASUS P5K-E board and might actually stick with ASUS instead.

Either way, when I build the PC, I'll post the specs and my setup along with how well it's all running.

Cheers
soundpalace
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear
Since I went with the Fireface UC, the Firewire chipset choice was no longer a concern so I went with an ASUS Board instead (great experiences with my current P5K-E).

Parts have been ordered as follows:

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 II
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V-PRO
CPU: Intel CPU Core i7-2600K
Memory: Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B)
Graphics: Asus nVidia GTX560
SSD: Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD 2.5"
Optical Drive: Lite-On Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (IHBS212)

I should have a progress update by the weekend.

Cheers
soundpalace

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search