The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Is Your #1 Plug In for The 2 Buss?
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Nothing but the VCC Mixbuss. Everything alse for mastering stage.
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by serga View Post
Nothing but the VCC Mixbuss. Everything alse for mastering stage.
But what about if you're doing the sort of rock mix that depends on buss compression - do you leave that to the mastering guy too?!
Old 12th September 2011
DMG Equality (Lin Phase)
Sonnox Limiter

Fantastic!
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott petito View Post
A ubk fatso, a ubk Clariphonic EQ, an api5500 EQ,

I plug them in with 4 little wires

Cheers
SP
I was just going to say, my #1 Plug for the 2 Buss is: "Inserts 7-8"!
Old 12th September 2011
Slate Digital VCC
A Designs Nail (hardware outboard)
Oxford EQ + GML
Avid ReelTape
Slate Digital FG-X (if I need it "mastered" for a client before going to a real mastering engineer)
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
But what about if you're doing the sort of rock mix that depends on buss compression - do you leave that to the mastering guy too?!
i think he means master output ... i put nothing on my master ,I've stopped mixing into a limiter/tape sat etc etc
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
i think he means master output ... i put nothing on my master ,I've stopped mixing into a limiter/tape sat etc etc
I know he did. But try doing a Moulder-esque rock mix without mixbuss compression!

I think some people don't realise that mixing into a mixbuss compressor is totally different to mastering compression.

I would never mix INTO a limiter - that IS for the mastering engineer! I'd only use a limiter on the mix buss for client refs and to see what happens when it gets smashed. Tape sats are to taste as well.

Talking of which...I've seen people use multiband limiters for client refs. What's the point of that? "here's your mix, although the frequency balance is totally different in the real thing of course, I've just done it like this so you can see what it sounds like if it were mastered really badly"..?!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

For Compression , waves SSL , sometimes Duende Bus comp , eq = SSL X eq , Limiter Voxengo elephant , sometimes UAD precision limiter . But I did try Voxengos deft compressor which sounds very cool
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Waves Puigtech - Waves SSL Comp - Waves MPX

Deadly!

heh
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Roundtone
UAD Pultech Pro
UAD Precision Limiter
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

It's an acquired taste but waves neve comp on 1:5:1 and barely moving the needles for me.
Old 13th September 2011
SSD VMB into EQuality (HPF only) into UAD Ampex ATR-102.
That is it - I do not mix into compressors or limiters.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

I commonly use on 2bus below.
- Duende Bus Comp
- Duende X-EQ
- Sonnox Inflator
- Sonnox Limiter
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
... I've just done it like this so you can see what it sounds like if it were mastered really badly"..?!

You mean "when it's mastered really badly."

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Satson Buss, The Glue, ProQ

Other things I leave for mastering engineer, don't wanna ruin mix with fake tapes, limiters, etc etc.
Old 17th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by babel2 View Post
It's an acquired taste but waves neve comp on 1:5:1 and barely moving the needles for me.
Me too...ever since it came out.

Dual mono unlinked even...and release on auto.

Nothing seems to beat it for me...and I have practically everything.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

Waves mpx on auxs going to summing mixer
Duende ssl compressor, slate FX-p on master.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Slate VCC into ( sometimes ) UAD Studer into Pro Audio DSM
Old 17th September 2011
Deleted User #106149
Waves SSL comp & Soundtoys decapitator

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com App
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

Usually on last, 8th Cubendo 2bus insert lies Inspector XL or Voxengo SPAN. One insert before analysers lies Sonnox Limiter. In very rare cases there is Cytomuc GLUE before Sonnox.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
I`m a mastering guy)))
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
I know he did. But try doing a Moulder-esque rock mix without mixbuss compression!

I think some people don't realise that mixing into a mixbuss compressor is totally different to mastering compression.

I would never mix INTO a limiter - that IS for the mastering engineer! I'd only use a limiter on the mix buss for client refs and to see what happens when it gets smashed. Tape sats are to taste as well.

Talking of which...I've seen people use multiband limiters for client refs. What's the point of that? "here's your mix, although the frequency balance is totally different in the real thing of course, I've just done it like this so you can see what it sounds like if it were mastered really badly"..?!
Well, if you mean group busses, i`ll better will do a automation instead of compression, because my mixes usually are not 4 or5 instruments rushing on top gear. The music i usually mixing a quite compex with rhythm section (drums, bass, guitar, keyboard), then percussion, small string section, brass, another gtr and keys, a lot of back voices and leader voice for sure. The only way for mixing right is automation in my case.
But if I need fast limiting like result I`m put a UAD precision maximizer in 3 band mode, this one works really cool.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Satson Buss
The Glue
Kramer MPX
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Metric Halo Channel Strip
Voxengo Elephant
Voxengo SPAN
Old 17th September 2011
Quote:
I`m a mastering guy)))
Presumably you don't master when you mix though? How can you finish a mix knowing the sound is going to be altered when you "master" it?
Old 17th September 2011
Quote:
Well, if you mean group busses, i`ll better will do a automation instead of compression, because my mixes usually are not 4 or5 instruments rushing on top gear. The music i usually mixing a quite compex with rhythm section (drums, bass, guitar, keyboard), then percussion, small string section, brass, another gtr and keys, a lot of back voices and leader voice for sure. The only way for mixing right is automation in my case.
But if I need fast limiting like result I`m put a UAD precision maximizer in 3 band mode, this one works really cool.
I mean if one is doing the sort of rock music that depends on mixbuss compression?

It's more the ethos I'm talking about...if I want a mix to sound like something, I want to do it myself, not leave it to someone else! I want my mastering guy to double check and if possible enhance what I've done, not change it beyond recognition.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
How can you finish a mix knowing the sound is going to be altered when you "master" it?

Isn't that what everybody does? Mix, then have it mastered?

If I'm mixing an EP or an album that I also have to master, I don't even think of mastering anything until all songs are mixed. Otherwise, everything would end up all over the map level-wise and curve-wise.

You can master-as-you-go?

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli P

Me too...ever since it came out.

Dual mono unlinked even...and release on auto.

Nothing seems to beat it for me...and I have practically everything.
Sweet
Thanks for sharing, gonna try that on the next mix
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
If I'm mixing an EP or an album
It's a single world. Make the one song sound as good as
possible for Hype Machine. You'll never be able to match
the other songs in the playlists anyways.

I go cry now.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I always use Ohmicide at maximum distortion on all frequency bands along with a bad free compressor pushed to maximum, 3-4 reverb plugins to double the song length and finally 3 ping-pong delays at the quarter, eight and 16th note to make sure mistakes aren't discernable.

Then I normalize at -14db and finally start EQing by reducing the dynamics on all frequency ranges, put the mixed cd in a vinegar bowl and put a cherry in the middle.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search