The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
Pro Tools?

Aside for the "Pro Tools makes you look pro" answer. What kind of advantages does pro tools have over Logic 9? I currently have Logic 9 and im thinking of buying PT9 but I was thinking and wonder what PT9 would actually do to benefit me more then logic.

Would it be worth buying PT9 just so I get really use to it because most studios will be running in PT?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
Would it be worth buying PT9 just so I get really use to it because most studios will be running in PT?
You've really just answered your own question.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
You've really just answered your own question.
I figured,
I looking for an answer musicly or pluggin option though. Something that makes DAW 1 "better" then DAW 2 at tracking/mixing/mastering, something like that.
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

I think he is right, you have answered that yourself

But as far as PT vs Logic goes I think (personally) it comes down to what you prefer.
I have used both and prefer PT but can quite easily do most of what I can on PT with Logic.

I admit Logic I prefer for Midi sequencing where as PT I prefer for audio recording, but really when it comes down to it, they are quite close unless you are really getting deep into the program I.e beat detective and the warp features in PT etc.

And I think a lot if studio are using Logic now as well.
Old 11th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNRStudios View Post
not in the commercial world they're not.

Well, we have it...but most sessions run PT, and just about all large scale tracking ones do.
Old 11th September 2011

unless you have requirements for PT routing (just the way it falls sits well with outboard and consoles as well as making stems), VCA, integration with a decent controller or timecode options then really there should be nothing in it.

Those 4 things are my bread and butter. Outside of that ? Stick with Logic.

As for more PT than Logic. Same old same old - int eh composing and one man show world - Logic rules. In the commercial recording and large format product world - PT. You only need to use PT if you are moving around that world frequently. Like me!!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
I think he is right, you have answered that yourself

But as far as PT vs Logic goes I think (personally) it comes down to what you prefer.
I have used both and prefer PT but can quite easily do most of what I can on PT with Logic.

I admit Logic I prefer for Midi sequencing where as PT I prefer for audio recording, but really when it comes down to it, they are quite close unless you are really getting deep into the program I.e beat detective and the warp features in PT etc.

I planned on doing just that. Logic for beats, Pro Tools for tracking. At my school we buy Logic in our tuition, Ive been using it a few months now and have gotten pretty good in it, my classes next month start my life in Pro Tools though so i figured it would be good to buy it just to know it, but I'm also planning out what to buy in what order. And right now I don't know if I think Pro Tools or a new piece of gear would be more important to me at the moment.
Old 11th September 2011
Quote:
I planned on doing just that. Logic for beats, Pro Tools for tracking. At my school we buy Logic in our tuition, Ive been using it a few months now and have gotten pretty good in it, my classes next month start my life in Pro Tools though so i figured it would be good to buy it just to know it, but I'm also planning out what to buy in what order. And right now I don't know if I think Pro Tools or a new piece of gear would be more important to me at the moment.
Depends how important it is to pass your class really?
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Learn Protools, it's the norm and it's not going anywhere anytime soon, you can rock up to any studio ready to go, if they don't have protools at all, then you can look at them like "you don't run protools, what gives?" - cubase and nuendo are really few and far between, logic would be the next biggest market share against PT but the way apple is going with it's pro market don't be surprised if logic ends up moulding into GarageBand Pro. Then there is reaper, which is rapidly gaining it's place over the last few years, up there with logic, but I've tried and tried again to get my head around reaper and I guess coming from a PT background it just doesn't seem to work for me workflow wise.

saggsy
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
not in the commercial world they're not.

Well, we have it...but most sessions run PT, and just about all large scale tracking ones do.
No I was talking more "smaller" studios here.

Although saying that I have worked at a few large ones that run Logic and even Nuendo and im sure you have heard the finished results on your stereo (depending on your taste of music of course )
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

C
C
Old 11th September 2011

Quote:
No I was talking more "smaller" studios here.

Although saying that I have worked at a few large ones that run Logic and even Nuendo and im sure you have heard the finished results on your stereo (depending on your taste of music of course )
Large studios running Logic? Without Protools?

The only one I know that's like that is Yoads place (but even he has a PT rig he doesn't use!!).
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Large studios running Logic? Without Protools?

The only one I know that's like that is Yoads place (but even he has a PT rig he doesn't use!!).
Honestly, if your familiar with Enter Shikari, The Architects or Funeral For A Friend, then some of their albums were recorded on Logic and Nuendo.

But I agree PT is the industry leader.. Until GarageBand Pro comes out haha.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Honestly, if your familiar with Enter Shikari, The Architects or Funeral For A Friend, then some of their albums were recorded on Logic and Nuendo.

From what I hear, Garage Band Pro and Logic 10 are the same thing. ;-)
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Well if your starting in PT then maybe it be a good idea to (funds allowing).
Especially of that's how you want to work.
I certainly wouldn't use anything else for tracking unless made to.
But as I say I still prefer Logic for midi sequencing, but maybe that's because I have always worked that way.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
All Pro Tools work is done in class. If I had to get it for class then I wouldnt have made this forum.
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
All Pro Tools work is done in class. If I had to get it for class then I wouldnt have made this forum.
Haha fair play,
Well I suppose it depends on what kind of things you are recording/working on... If you do a lot of tracking then I would say definitely get it an I guarantee you won't look back.
If your more midi based with the odd instrument recorded here and there then maybe purchase some new gear and leave it to using it in class.. Really down to you.
Wow I'm really no help here :-/ lol
Old 11th September 2011

Quote:

I know Outhouse very well. Nice place but it's not the sort of place I was referring to!!! It's a project studio that's done VERY well.

Just about ALL of my projects grace Logic, Reaper, Nuendo, Studer and Ampex at some stage. They also grace the console!! But ultimately the heavy lifting is done in boring old PT.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
I make the beats, write the lyrics, produce as my roomate (musical other half) does his thing, he records me, then I mix it down and do all the pluggins and such.

I fell like the smart answer is just to buy it (I know a site I can get it for $294 since I am a student [with 4 years of upgrades too! ] ) and start doing work.

Time to check the budget!
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
I know Outhouse very well. Nice place but it's not the sort of place I was referring to!!! It's a project studio that's done VERY well.

Just about ALL of my projects grace Logic, Reaper, Nuendo, Studer and Ampex at some stage. They also grace the console!! But ultimately the heavy lifting is done in boring old PT.
It is an awesome studio, and I've never understood how they get the results they do, apart from being great at what they do obviously.
I actually just sent you a message regarding your console funnily enough.
But as I said from a "smaller" side of things I still maintain you can get along fine with Logic if needs be.
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
I make the beats, write the lyrics, produce as my roomate (musical other half) does his thing, he records me, then I mix it down and do all the pluggins and such.

I fell like the smart answer is just to buy it (I know a site I can get it for $294 since I am a student [with 4 years of upgrades too! ] ) and start doing work.

Time to check the budget!
Wow well if you can get it for that i'd say definitely do it lol!
Let us know your feelings on it VS logic when you have them side by side.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I think PTHD sounds better than logic. Have been a logic lover /user since 2003...made a bunch of records on it....something happened along the way....the first time I brought up a session in 8, I said to myself..."someting is different...softer....oh I'll just make sur all the settings are correct....it must be a higher resolution mix engine bcvvh blah."

3 years later

finally realized it's not UTM..it's not pan laws...it's not software monitoring or buffer settings...it's not me....the software changed...and isn;t going back to sounding straight

I started noticing this as I was tracking a few things at a studio in PTHD and mixing in Logic...never being able to beat the punch and forward motion of the roughs...

I dont care how many threads exist about it, it changed at 8 and PTHD sounds more right...good bye Logic...too bad you forgot to keep what was great about 7 and down...a good sounding piece of software.

PS I never throw tracks into either program, set my faders @ zero and call it a mix...never....the mere mention of that is ridiculous
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I use Pro Tools 9 and love it but use whatever works for you. I tried alot of different DAW's out there and when I finally gave Pro Tools a chance I was hooked.

As far as other studio running PT, most other DAW's will export into PT just fine.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSmile View Post
....the software changed...and isn't going back to sounding straight
Any ideas on how a DAW would sound better then another DAW? I've heard this before but never understood how that could be.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Any ideas on how a DAW would sound better then another DAW? I've heard this before but never understood how that could be.
well jo..I do not code (or whatever you call it) software and know nothing about that process...however I like many others use and have used software for some time and I can tell you 100% that no software is 100% accurate about anything...and the word processing is a good indication of why...because each piece "processes" the 44,100 samples per second (or more) times 15000 regions times 700 fades times 100 plugs...busses...sends...graphics...32 floating...48 fixed...bal blah etc etc etc

differently...it's all different...otherwise there would only be ONE software designer...

So basically....dont ....dont care....just care about how it sounds when I'm working

I suspect that HD processing on some pretty robust cards may have something to do with it.

Cheers
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSmile View Post
dont ....dont care....just care about how it sounds when I'm working
lol I guess that's all that matters in the end
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
lol I guess that's all that matters in the end
Hope you take that with you when you get out of school...it's a big one...doesn;t matter how you get there just get there.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Just skimming this thread so forgive if it's redundant...

Since you're in school and will soon be out on the street looking for work, buy both platforms (they're cheap now) and learn them both well. They each excel at different things, and you don't know at this point which will earn you your bread & butter. I had always done 95% of my work in Protools, but this year I've seen that go down to almost 50% due to several large clients/producers/projects using Logic.

I guess I'm saying, it probably won't be your choice. Dive in and swim, or sink to the bottom.

Both platforms do the same thing. Protools excels at editing and mixing with speed & efficiency; Logic excels at composing & arranging with speed & efficiency. You can do both tasks on either platform quite well, one is just more adept than the other.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
unless you have requirements for PT routing (just the way it falls sits well with outboard and consoles as well as making stems), VCA, integration with a decent controller or timecode options then really there should be nothing in it.

Those 4 things are my bread and butter. Outside of that ? Stick with Logic.

As for more PT than Logic. Same old same old - int eh composing and one man show world - Logic rules. In the commercial recording and large format product world - PT. You only need to use PT if you are moving around that world frequently. Like me!!
Agree 100%
Old 11th September 2011

Quote:
It is an awesome studio, and I've never understood how they get the results they do, apart from being great at what they do obviously.
I actually just sent you a message regarding your console funnily enough.
But as I said from a "smaller" side of things I still maintain you can get along fine with Logic if needs be.
You absolutely can get along just fine with Logic. The necessity for PT is based on a few limited business factors and not much else.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search