The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools?
Old 11th September 2011
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNRStudios View Post
It is an awesome studio, and I've never understood how they get the results they do, apart from being great at what they do obviously.
I actually just sent you a message regarding your console funnily enough.
But as I said from a "smaller" side of things I still maintain you can get along fine with Logic if needs be.
My point is - you've mentioned ONE studio that uses something other than PT, and it's not a high end studio - it just happens to have a few success stories. If you want to work in a commercial room, you're doing yourself a serious disservice if you're NOT a PT ninja. Because you'll be competing against guys who are as good as you are in other respects, PLUS they'll have the PT knowledge.

If your intention is NOT to work in this environment, if you want to be a writer/composer, if you want to be a programmer and so on - it absolutely doesn't matter what you use, because it's never going to leave your system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSmile View Post
I think PTHD sounds better than logic. Have been a logic lover /user since 2003...made a bunch of records on it....something happened along the way....the first time I brought up a session in 8, I said to myself..."someting is different...softer....oh I'll just make sur all the settings are correct....it must be a higher resolution mix engine bcvvh blah."

3 years later

finally realized it's not UTM..it's not pan laws...it's not software monitoring or buffer settings...it's not me....the software changed...and isn;t going back to sounding straight

I started noticing this as I was tracking a few things at a studio in PTHD and mixing in Logic...never being able to beat the punch and forward motion of the roughs...

I dont care how many threads exist about it, it changed at 8 and PTHD sounds more right...good bye Logic...too bad you forgot to keep what was great about 7 and down...a good sounding piece of software.

PS I never throw tracks into either program, set my faders @ zero and call it a mix...never....the mere mention of that is ridiculous
Please don't start this again - you can replicate the same mix in different DAWs, you don't just have to "set your faders at 0 and call it a mix". It's been done, it's been proved, there's a million threads on the issue already, let's not get into an argument and mislead the OP into a different train of thought that he doesn't need at this stage.
Old 11th September 2011
  #32
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
My point is - you've mentioned ONE studio that uses something other than PT, and it's not a high end studio - it just happens to have a few success stories. If you want to work in a commercial room, you're doing yourself a serious disservice if you're NOT a PT ninja. Because you'll be competing against guys who are as good as you are in other respects, PLUS they'll have the PT knowledge.

If your intention is NOT to work in this environment, if you want to be a writer/composer, if you want to be a programmer and so on - it absolutely doesn't matter what you use, because it's never going to leave your system.



Please don't start this again - you can replicate the same mix in different DAWs, you don't just have to "set your faders at 0 and call it a mix". It's been done, it's been proved, there's a million threads on the issue already, let's not get into an argument and mislead the OP into a different train of thought that he doesn't need at this stage.
No I completely agree about PT and I know it's the leader in this industry.
I was just making the point that you can still get great results from other DAWs if 1) you haven't the budget for PT, 2) as you say your a composer/writer etc.
I'm not saying that you shouldn't get it and it's not worth learning as I use it religiously, and your right it is worth learning and getting use to, I was just pointing out you can still get great results from other DAWs too.
Old 11th September 2011
  #33
Lives for gear
 

Unless you have an immediate business need, DON"T buy Pro Tools. Since you are just getting out of school and looking for work don't spend money on anything uneeded until you have relocated and are working steadily. Roof over your head, food on the table, debt free, THEN spend the big bucks on uneeded stuff. Frankly learning any DAW is going to carry over to another so what you know with Logic will be enough till you get up to speed with what they are using at wherever you settle. Even then you still won't need to buy a copy of whatever DAW they are using for yourself. Lots of fanboys here of each particular DAW and a few extra for Pro Tools (might just be part of their marketing department LOL), all of who will gladly urge a fool to be separated from his money.
Old 11th September 2011
  #34
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post



Please don't start this again - you can replicate the same mix in different DAWs, you don't just have to "set your faders at 0 and call it a mix". It's been done, it's been proved, there's a million threads on the issue already, let's not get into an argument and mislead the OP into a different train of thought that he doesn't need at this stage.

I have never started this before...I'm sharing a very recent opinion..there has been no proof only bickering and conjecture..you yourself have said that you feel logic feels blurry...PLEASE DONT PRETEND THAT ALL DAWS are the same...they are not..I am currently working on a mix that is in PTHD, LOGIC and NUENDO...and all three mixes sound completely different...I'm the same mixer...same tracks...same plugs...different platforms...you do the math.

The OP...as you have suggested...needs to learn PT and forget about logic cubase etc for the time being...
Old 27th September 2011
  #35
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post


Please don't start this again - you can replicate the same mix in different DAWs, you don't just have to "set your faders at 0 and call it a mix". It's been done, it's been proved, there's a million threads on the issue already, let's not get into an argument and mislead the OP into a different train of thought that he doesn't need at this stage.
there is NO WAY to run a proper test, splitting a multitrack signal into two separate systems that null...because two systems at the conversion stage won't null...period...so ther is no going beyond that...therefore there has been NO TEST indicating that two DAW's sound the same under robust recording conitions...meaning loopback tests dont count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Unless you have an immediate business need, DON"T buy Pro Tools. Since you are just getting out of school and looking for work don't spend money on anything uneeded until you have relocated and are working steadily. Roof over your head, food on the table, debt free, THEN spend the big bucks on uneeded stuff. Frankly learning any DAW is going to carry over to another so what you know with Logic will be enough till you get up to speed with what they are using at wherever you settle. Even then you still won't need to buy a copy of whatever DAW they are using for yourself. Lots of fanboys here of each particular DAW and a few extra for Pro Tools (might just be part of their marketing department LOL), all of who will gladly urge a fool to be separated from his money.

I'm guessing you haven't done much work on Pro Tools. I'd be interested in seeing what the number is of folks switching from PTHD to Logic...it's probably pretty small.
Old 27th September 2011
  #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyC View Post
there is NO WAY to run a proper test, splitting a multitrack signal into two separate systems that null...because two systems at the conversion stage won't null...period...so ther is no going beyond that...therefore there has been NO TEST indicating that two DAW's sound the same under robust recording conitions...meaning loopback tests dont count.
I was just starting to disagree with you, then I kind of understood - I suppose there is quite a high chance of 2 different DAWs not nulling even if you're printing to them in parallel, clocked together, using identical conversion..there's things in the analogue chain that will vary and probably cause the results not to null.

HOWEVER - you CAN do a double blind test on the results of this transfer, and see if the human ear can reliably tell a difference, you CAN check the summing of a DAW using the same set of audio files. You could arguably even do a digital transfer to see if the DAW captures a digital audio stream bit for bit identical (since we're not testing the converters, but how the DAW interprets the data coming from them). There's always a way to test things. but it's so much more fun to just say "ooh, PT sounds better/worse" and go from there...
Old 27th September 2011
  #37
Gear Maniac
 

...yes much more fun...you don't remember sayng Logic felt cloudy?
Old 27th September 2011
  #38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Unless you have an immediate business need, DON"T buy Pro Tools. Since you are just getting out of school and looking for work don't spend money on anything uneeded until you have relocated and are working steadily. Roof over your head, food on the table, debt free, THEN spend the big bucks on uneeded stuff. Frankly learning any DAW is going to carry over to another so what you know with Logic will be enough till you get up to speed with what they are using at wherever you settle. Even then you still won't need to buy a copy of whatever DAW they are using for yourself. Lots of fanboys here of each particular DAW and a few extra for Pro Tools (might just be part of their marketing department LOL), all of who will gladly urge a fool to be separated from his money.
The thing to remember is - most (if not all) commercial studios run PT. If you're a demon quick PT operator, that gives you an advantage over other people. If you're below average/not great at all, that puts you at a disadvantage, all other things being equal. No point being a whizz at Ableton or Sonar if you're looking for engineering gigs working in commercial rooms. Being able to fumble your way through any DAW isn't really enough in the super-cut-throat music world!
Old 27th September 2011
  #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyC View Post
...yes much more fun...you don't remember sayng Logic felt cloudy?
Can you point me to this post? You've mentioned it before, and frankly I'm baffled. I would never have intended to say that, because I don't think it, and never have done. I may have been misquoted, or I may not have made myself clear, but I've never intentionally meant to say that!

Let me clear it up once and for all - I think ALL DAWs sound the same (unless specifically designed not to) and I don't think Logic sounds "cloudy" in the slightest, nor have I meant to imply that I did.
Old 27th September 2011
  #40
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
The thing to remember is - most (if not all) commercial studios run PT. If you're a demon quick PT operator, that gives you an advantage over other people. If you're below average/not great at all, that puts you at a disadvantage, all other things being equal. No point being a whizz at Ableton or Sonar if you're looking for engineering gigs working in commercial rooms. Being able to fumble your way through any DAW isn't really enough in the super-cut-throat music world!
this is so true, however I had a little debate with a super fast PT intern recently, I was suggesting that fast only makes you an irreplaceable assistant. Hardly gives anyone a reason to want to move you up to 1st engineer...and sometimes too fast is no good...depends on what kind of vibe is going on in the studio...whether or not your are making music or making a mess of things...you dont have to be super fast if you use PT as a recording platform and not as the fifth member of the band....I can't stand the assistant whizzing around the screen, doing cleanup when there is a take happening...things can happen when you work too fast and you dont know how far to go back to fix ...I don't want artists I'm recording getting that "I'm on crack" vibe from the assistant...who happens to be super duper fast...and starts doing a task before the artist or producer even finishes their sentence...it's not conducive to making music actually...you just need to know your tools and know how to do the ten things that happen all the time in a recording session.
Old 27th September 2011
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyC View Post
this is so true, however I had a little debate with a super fast PT intern recently, I was suggesting that fast only makes you an irreplaceable assistant.
Well, personally I don't want my assistant running PT, I do that myself. I think being speedy on PT is a good 1st engineer trait as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyC View Post
Hardly gives anyone a reason to want to move you up to 1st engineer...and sometimes too fast is no good...depends on what kind of vibe is going on in the studio...whether or not your are making music or making a mess of things...you dont have to be super fast if you use PT as a recording platform and not as the fifth member of the band....I can't stand the assistant whizzing around the screen, doing cleanup when there is a take happening...
If there's a take happening, the computer gets left alone! bar the occasional zoom in or out to keep a track on where we are. The point is, being fast doesn't prevent you from editing at a slower pace or not editing at all - time and a place for everything. Just the slow guy can't go fast, the fast guy can always motor back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyC View Post
things can happen when you work too fast and you dont know how far to go back to fix ...I don't want artists I'm recording getting that "I'm on crack" vibe from the assistant...who happens to be super duper fast...and starts doing a task before the artist or producer even finishes their sentence...it's not conducive to making music actually...you just need to know your tools and know how to do the ten things that happen all the time in a recording session.
I agree - but if the producer asks for something, and a few button presses later it's done, as opposed to a 10mins task. I think you're just describing session etiquette, and the 2 needn't be mutually exclusive. I've been on sessions where the producer EXPECTED that to happen, and got impatient if things took too long! A lesser PT op wouldn't have survived...
Old 27th September 2011
  #42
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Well, personally I don't want my assistant running PT, I do that myself. I think being speedy on PT is a good 1st engineer trait as well!



If there's a take happening, the computer gets left alone! bar the occasional zoom in or out to keep a track on where we are. The point is, being fast doesn't prevent you from editing at a slower pace or not editing at all - time and a place for everything. Just the slow guy can't go fast, the fast guy can always motor back.



I agree - but if the producer asks for something, and a few button presses later it's done, as opposed to a 10mins task. I think you're just describing session etiquette, and the 2 needn't be mutually exclusive. I've been on sessions where the producer EXPECTED that to happen, and got impatient if things took too long! A lesser PT op wouldn't have survived...

Actually being concerned with fast has caused us all a lot of problems...music is made by musician's...engineers have an important role, but it's gotten out of hand and expected...my point is that even the idea that you need to be one of the fastest to be working is counter intuitive to making music in the studio, because not concerning yourself with being a PT speed demon also DOESN'T mean that things get done slowly.

I personally cant stand speedy gonzales'...it's unnecessary and distracting

The focus should be on the music...the performance...not clickitty clack after every stop...being a good "tape op" isn't all about speed...it's about being ready for the next task....and please anyone reading this...please stop cleaning everything up relentlessly...it's just a take..just leave the breaths and the humming alone...that's the easiest stuff in the world to deal with in a mix and it's annoying to watch someone zinging around all the recorde files with a pair of scissors while your tracking...and a lot of that stuff is important...and I dont want to have to undue all that BS to find something I want.

Really think about this...when you do a comp...do you think being speedy is gonna help get through it?...no ...you still have to listen to the section and then listen to the next...sitting impatiently twitching/itching to make a move...any move...only hurts the process
Old 27th September 2011
  #43
Lives for gear
Lol, I havn't seen this thread in awhile, didn't realize Ive started a PT VS All other DAW war.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump