The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
'Halion 4' vs 'Mach 5 Ver.3' for sound design ? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

'Halion 4' vs 'Mach 5 Ver.3' for sound design ?

Hi,

Which one do you think is a better tool for sound design applications,

Steinberg's 'Halion 4' or MOTU's 'Mach 5 version 3' ?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

so far Halion 1, motu 0 as far as import format support.

btw, I'm still waiting to order the hardcopy, because it's not as easy as digital download buying therefore, haven't actually used it yet.

it looks cool, but so does the MOTU

probably either's sound quality will be good enough for any sound design work. I'd take steinberg's since I'm a big fan of Cubase's sound.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
so far Halion 1, motu 0 as far as import format support.

btw, I'm still waiting to order the hardcopy, because it's not as easy as digital download buying therefore, haven't actually used it yet.

it looks cool, but so does the MOTU

probably either's sound quality will be good enough for any sound design work. I'd take steinberg's since I'm a big fan of Cubase's sound.
I thought MOTU Mach 5 V3 imports more formats than Halion 4.

Plus, Mach 5 V3 has great time & pitch manipulation capabilities (IRCAM) which are quite impressive, where as Halion doesn't offer neither Pitch or Time stretching capabilities (So far).

I'm also a big Steinberg fan, and a Cubase 6 user, but so far I'm leaning a tad towards Mach 5 V3 as a sound deisgn tool. but still not decided. I guess I can wait, and read more feedback, reviews, etc. before making a decision.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

Well, you also have scripting in MOTU, not in HAL4. That can be really great for interaction design (and thus for sound design)

Do not know MOTU Mach 5, but a cool thing about HAL always was that you have voice settings on a sample zone layer - each zone can have adjustments. That was always a great thing about HAL4.

hope that helps

best
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steff3 View Post
Well, you also have scripting in MOTU, not in HAL4. That can be really great for interaction design (and thus for sound design)

Do not know MOTU Mach 5, but a cool thing about HAL always was that you have voice settings on a sample zone layer - each zone can have adjustments. That was always a great thing about HAL4.

hope that helps

best
the new scripting engine is one of Halion 4's biggest features. It's called megatrig, and it looks friggin sweet. You don't have to code, you can pick variables and switches using a graphical user interface.

http://www.steinberg.net/uploads/pics/MegaTrig_12.png

I was going to purchase Halion 4 on Friday but held off when I got the Machfive 3 announcement email from MOTU. I like the Halion 4 interface much more, no fluff, all business, seems more serious, and is pitched as a sound design tool, whereas the MOTU product is pitched like a sample player. I'm going to wait for some reviews.

Last edited by raffivegas; 12th September 2011 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: added moar.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Question :

Does Halion 4 = Halion Sonic + Sampling + More sample/library content ?

Or does Halion Sonic offer something different than Halion 4 ?

i.e. Any advantages of having both Halion Sonic and Halion 4 ?

I have decided to get Halion 4, being a Cubase 6 users, it just makes a lot of sense to me to have Steinberg's sampler, to nicely integrate with Cubase 6. I can look into Mach 5-V3 in the future.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Old 5th October 2011
Here for the gear

HALion and HALion Sonic are totally different. HALion 4 has way more features and sound design functionalities additionally to the sampler engine.

There is a HALion 4 60-day trial available at Steinberg.net

News post at Steinberg.net

Just give it a try. But you will need a dongle for the trial

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search