The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
itunes or quicktime?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

itunes or quicktime?

Hello Friends,

i run lion here with itunes 10.4.1

which player is the best for checking reference aiff or wav tracks?

is itunes playback the best or is there a better audio playback program which works under mac osx 10.7.1?

i have heard that itunes uses the quicktime framework now and that the sound quality is the same as quicktime when unchecking the boxes in the playback preferences..

i have some aurora lynx converters.

feel free to suggest playback options.
thx sw.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Try it? If you can't hear a difference, then there is no difference.
But yes, iTunes is essentially a fancy UI for QuickTime, so it really shouldn't be any different. Make sure the EQ, SoundEnhancer and SoundCheck are all turned off though.. That is very important.
One or two folk have run technicated tests, and confirmed there is no difference also.

I believe there has been times when iTunes interfered with the sound in a negative way (iTunes 7 I think). But problems like that occur so infrequently that you shouldn't have to worry.
You can always check again in just about any audio editor too. I happen to like and use SoundStudio, but there is a multitude of others too.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

iTunes use the same codecs as the QuickTime player, i.e. QuickTime codecs.

You might have auto-gain and possible eq settings in iTunes that might colorize the sound.

I use QuickTime player as I'm in a hurry and don't want every single reference track land into the iTunes library.
Old 9th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinxx View Post
Hello Friends,

i run lion here with itunes 10.4.1

which player is the best for checking reference aiff or wav tracks?

is itunes playback the best or is there a better audio playback program which works under mac osx 10.7.1?

i have heard that itunes uses the quicktime framework now and that the sound quality is the same as quicktime when unchecking the boxes in the playback preferences..

i have some aurora lynx converters.

feel free to suggest playback options.
thx sw.
I find snapper from audioease invaluable.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Also take a look at Iced Audio's Audiofinder , an all around Swiss Army knife for audio.

Great for auditioning sounds and much more!

Download it and try it, to get all all features you have to pay.

Iced Audio - AudioFinder

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search