The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSD Recomendations...
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

SSD Recomendations...

Hi again,

I'm thinking about buying an SSD for installing Windows 7, Cubase 6 and my plugins so I'm starting this thread in hope that I can get some recommendations for a good, reliable and fast SSD drive that isn't going to financially cripple me. I'm thinking somewhere between 60gb or 80gb.

I don't really know too much about what SSDs are reputable and every time I read reviews on them, many people seem to say about problems they have had or how unreliable they are. Is SSD technology at a reliable state now? I guess a real question to also ask is: Is using an SSD for an OS worth it?

If it matters the components for my PC build (so far) are as follows: -

ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev 3 Motherboard
i7 2600k CPU
Noctua DH-N14 Cooler
16GB G-Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 PC12800 1600mhz
Corsair Obsidian 650D Case

Help for choosing a great SSD would be so appreciated and thanks for your time

JnB
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Bump because I'm curious myself.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

I'm running with an Intel 320 SDD, 120GB, and it's fantastic. I was researching all of this two months ago and Intel's drives are considered the most balanced for the best price with a five year warranty. As a desktopper you should pop for the 120GB 510, as you'd get an extra 66% in speed for an extra $50.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Crucial's M4 (with the FW0009 firmware) comes in to touch the 510's performance in sequential operations, and easily bests it on write speed and random iops (random reads etc) for less than the 510. So it's another good option if you're avoiding sandforce (which some do).
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have an Intel X-25 (previous generation) SSD as a bootdisk on one of my machines and it's been working reliably the whole time since I got it. It's only 80 gig, so it's easy and quick to back up to another drive, just in case something were to go wrong. I also use timemachine, so once an hour, it automatically backups the SSD in the background, I don't even have to worry about it or think about it.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

On www.barefeats.com they have a shoot out with 3 different ssd. The one from www.macsales.com is the winner in this case. Worth looking at.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

Hey Jono not Bono,

You don't mention a price range you would be comfortable with. Notwithstanding the OCZ Vertex 2 saga, my Vertex 3 120GBs has been solid since I installed it as an OS drive almost 3 months ago. No performance degradation. Specs. are excellent for the price (approx. $250 USD) and I have no reservations in recommending it.

Good luck,
jc
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

OWC (macsales.com) makes some of the best stuff in several categories. They're definitely not the cheapest but their products are typically very reliable and their customer service is top notch. If I were buying an SSD today I'd head that way.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Crucial M4 or OCZ Vertex III
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Wolf View Post
Hey Jono not Bono,

You don't mention a price range you would be comfortable with. Notwithstanding the OCZ Vertex 2 saga, my Vertex 3 120GBs has been solid since I installed it as an OS drive almost 3 months ago. No performance degradation. Specs. are excellent for the price (approx. $250 USD) and I have no reservations in recommending it.

Good luck,
jc
Yeah I didn't add a price as I'm prepared to pay more money if a recommended SSD is worth the price tag. I was kind of thinking around £100 but now I've noticed the Vertex 3 connects via SATA 6gps, its surely worth paying extra and getting the speed difference.

valis: -

Out of interest why do people avoid the Sandforce Controller? Is the latest Sandforce controller the SF-2200?

Thanks for everyone's advice

JnB
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

This is for an OS drive, right? Not an audio drive?

There was a guy here (or somewhere) who tested SSD from 4 different manufacturers, running them roughly through the paces as audio drives, and he killed all of them within a couple of weeks. I don't think these are good for audio, at least not yet. As an OS drive there's huge potential.
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
This is for an OS drive, right? Not an audio drive?

There was a guy here (or somewhere) who tested SSD from 4 different manufacturers, running them roughly through the paces as audio drives, and he killed all of them within a couple of weeks. I don't think these are good for audio, at least not yet. As an OS drive there's huge potential.

Yeah I'm gonna get an SSD for my OS, Plugins and DAW (Cubase 6). Isn't there a limit number of Writes per SSD? So if this is the case then using one as an Audio drive would be disastrous! Still gonna do some more reading!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

I bought something from OCZ a few monthes ago (vertex 2) and it stopped working randomely, I called and they talked about a "know issue", I'm waiting for it's replacement... I dont really like the fact an item with "known issues" been sold to me, I'm not buyin OCZ again.
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Crucial M4 - firmware 09 for me :D awesome little units.
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Could someone explain what the the Page File is? I'm a little confused.

From what I gather, when you have 16gb of DDR3 RAM a significant of physical hard drive space is used for 'The Page File'. If I was to buy a small SSD wouldn't a lot of the space be used up for this. Sorry I sound like an ignorant fool but I don't understand this...
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

From the various forums I belong to , the OCZ drives are very fast , but not as robust as the Crucial M4 drives .....

General consensis is that when the drive is used for a lot of both reading and writing , they tend to fail sooner ......If used for reading only, as for use as a sample drive , they will last much longer ..... YMMV ....Jim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search