The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iMac Capability Audio Interfaces
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

iMac Capability

Hi all,

I am just in the midst of getting back into recording (things have changed since I was last in a studio with ADATs etc). I have the following set-up at home now:

----------------------------
Mac Overview:
Processor Name: Intel Core i3
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB

Software Overview:
Mac OS 10.6.8
Pro Tools LE 8 (v8.0.1) with Mbox 2 Mini

I also have a few extra bits (midi keyboard, V-Amp, a few plug-ins etc).
----------------------------

Anyway - at the minute I am simply importing drum loops and recording bass, guitar, samples, midi and vox over the loops but I am thinking about getting a Avid Digidesign 003 Rack so I can record some live drums.

I have two questions:

1) Do you think my iMac set-up is good enough to do this?
2) Is it possible to use the 4 mic inputs from the 003 for kick, snare and 2 toms and then also use my Mbox Mini's 2 mic input for overheads - and record all this at the same time?

Any advice will be much appreciated...

Cheers,

Tom
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hi all,

If anyone can help me with this it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Hi tomparko

Your imac will be more than adequate for this. Recording does not put a strain on the mac, its what you do with the recording after that needs the power. I have a 4 year old imac and only run into trouble when i have over 50 channels of audio running with a few plug ins on each of them.

Not too sure about details regarding recording from multiple inputs but i do know that recording all different drum parts at same time is the norm.

Good luck with the recording and have fun with your mac :D
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hi cintronic,

Thanks for that. I was hoping the Mac would be ok - didn't fancy having to buy a new one!

I will look at renting a 003 and testing to see if I can use it alongside my mbox to get the extra inputs. Unless someone else knows the answer to this?

Cheers again,

Tom
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

iMac Capability

Hello
No, you will not be able to use both with PT8LE because v8 uses the archaic DAE instead of coreaudio.
If you upgrade to v9 you can set up an aggregate device with both, then use that in v9.
Hope this helps.
Hugh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search