The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MacBook Sudden Motion Sensor Audio Interfaces
Old 9th September 2011
MacBook Sudden Motion Sensor

http://tapeop.com/blog/2011/06/14/sudden-motion-sensor/

Perhaps this is old news to some, but I recently ran afoul of what I suspect is the result of this while playing music with a friend the other day.

We use the laptop (mb pro 2011, 15" 2.0 w/ 8gb, and a 7200rpm drive) along with a bus powered FW800 external drive, and the bus powered Duet2, as a way to work out songs live in the room, by tracking and playing back to work on the other bits live. It runs through our modest pa, and we mess with drums, keys, bass, guitar or whatever depending on what we are getting at.

So in logic we are playing back two tracks at 24,96k when it would just start crashing. I have thrown plenty at this machine and it pretty much handles it all, so this two track thing was a bit strange. After some back and forth, we realized it only happened when I was playing the guitar along in the room through my amp. Hmmm. The guitar/amp set up was in no way connected to the computer, so as it was small room, with only one power source, I suspected it might have something to do with power the amp may have been sucking or perhaps something along those lines anyway.

So we let the thing run on battery, and still the same problem. So I retracked the parts, and whammo- still happened!!! As it never happened unless the guitar was playing it was clearly not logic (or at least not just a stuck track or some corrupted file).

So we basically scratched our heads and moved on for the night. But I was offered this link from another forum that pointed this out to me as a possible source of the problem, and it makes some sense. This laptop runs as a live guide track, so it's sitting in our spot smack dab in the center of the drums, bass and guitar.

Worth checking into if you use your laptop in situations where the loudness could cause your drive to say uncle!!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I had a similar problem running Logic on my MBP, while tracking in the same room as the band. Logic would record and playback fine, until the drummer started playing, and then WHAM! Crash with a loud blast of static. I recorded 20 minutes of 16 track silence 2 or 3 times quite successfully, but the thumping of the kick drum would set it off.

We moved the whole thing over to an iMac and all was fine. I didn't have time to look into disabling the vibration sensor on my MBP, but I suspect that's what it was.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

SSD

never worry again.
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Apple Portables: Advanced tips for Sudden Motion Sensor

Just switch it off b4 playing then back once you are done.
Old 26th October 2011
Here for the gear

Hey! i had the same issue, so i thought id post it here if someone googles it. i was running logic on my brand new 2,2 mbp, and it started crashing, saying something about the sudden motion sensor, and thing was, i was running on the internal speakers, just for fun, and as soon as i raised the volume it crashed. the vibration from the internal speakers ticked the motion sensor. what an idiotic design flaw apple, please correct
Old 1st December 2011
Here for the gear
I have the same issue with my virgin new mac book pro 2.2 quad!
The strange thing is that disabling SMS does not work, but I have two partition, one snow one lion and maybe I have to disable SMS on both of them... next days I will post the result of my experiments!

Old 1st December 2011
I wonder if this is why I get buffer overruns while recording with my Metric Halo rig. It even happens recording to an external SSD, so I think it's something going on with the internal drove on the MBP.
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

i have no such problems on a 2011 mbp 17" with 256gb ssd... flawless for me...
Old 1st December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post
i have no such problems on a 2011 mbp 17" with 256gb ssd... flawless for me...
Well, that would be the case, wouldn't it, since this issue is all about vibration and conventional drives.
Old 1st December 2011
Here for the gear
Ok I have made my experiments: disabled (verified) SMS from both partitions, running logic demo song (in loop) "The Numbers Game"(medium complexity), internal speaker volume 1/3, with buffer 32 to 256, half an hour running, no issues.
Volume 2/3, (quite loud but not so much),buffer 256, logic stops with the usual window alert after more or less 30 seconds .
So there are some possibilities:
1)the terminal command does not work
2)the toshiba 500g internal hd is very sensitive to vibrations
3)there is somewhere a not soldered contact that fails with vibrations and I think this is the worst case!
4)there is sort of strange and perverted protection that steps in when the internal speaker volume is too high (the science fiction case)
5)I have to bring back the machine to Apple!
Next days more experiments, I'm going to buy a fireface800 and an ext. usb hard disk... iuuuuu lot of money.

Sorry for my bad English

Ganzo
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search