The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mac Pro, Thunderbolt & Processors Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Mac Pro, Thunderbolt & Processors

Going to be getting a Mac Pro for recording, but it'll need some grunt for the huge sample library's I use.

Would 16Gig + the 2.93Ghz 6-Core Xeon be enough to crush Symphonic Orchestra?? If I can run a huge session with that I'm very confident nothing else will cause the system to struggle.

Also, when is Apple releasing a Mac Pro with Thunderbolt?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Unless you really need it NOW, I would hold off a bit.
Latest rumours seem to suggest oct, nov for new Mac Pros.

But if you need it now, the current models aren;t slouches either.

I'm still on the first generation Mac Pro. And for the most part its still sufficient.

Although I'm gonna try to get one of the new ones as they are released...
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTinkle View Post
Going to be getting a Mac Pro for recording, but it'll need some grunt for the huge sample library's I use.

Would 16Gig + the 2.93Ghz 6-Core Xeon be enough to crush Symphonic Orchestra?? If I can run a huge session with that I'm very confident nothing else will cause the system to struggle.

Also, when is Apple releasing a Mac Pro with Thunderbolt?
Do not get a Mac Pro yet!!! If you do, you will not be able to get a Thunderbolt port added to it later. See below from an article I read:

"The Mac Pro was last updated in July of 2010. Most recently, at the end of March, the MacBook Pro received a new high-speed data port called Thunderbolt. This new data port really benefit professionals who need fast data transfers, such as video editors.

Current Mac Pros will not be able to add the Thunderbolt data port because it needs a new motherboard. Intel will not be offering a PCIe adapter card for current and older computers either, so when will Apple add the Thunderbolt port and refresh the Mac Pro? Lets take a look at the current hardware and past updates."
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search