The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MIDI syncing two Macs properly with different programmes? DAW Software
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

MIDI syncing two Macs properly with different programmes?

Hi guys,

I've found a few tutorials on MIDI syncing two Macs each running either Live or Logic but never both together. I'm starting a new project where the drummer will be running Logic and I'll be running Live, and I would like to know what types of ways are there to MIDI sync the two Macs?

Very much appreciated!
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

not tried it.

but if any of those tutorials involved sending MTC via a midi usb interface or ethernet to the other computer, then I guess you could try to apply the same principle but just with two different DAWs.

if you use a midi IO though, you should try to keep it free from any other data, apart from MTC.

ethernet should technically be more trustworthy if you can get that to work.
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

Yeah I'm looking into MIDI-OX now and seeing what thats about. I can't try it out because the other Mac isn't about.

What is it about MIDI that seems so fickle? I was never heavily reliant on it but just from researching it etc. it just seems that the whole protocol needs a huge overhaul. That or lets get OSC going!
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Guru

take a look at post 64 on this thread.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...ml#post6160818
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

One easy way to do this is through a local network. Make sure both Macs are on connected, and go to Audio MIDI setup in the utilities folder. If the MIDI window isn't showing, go to Window/Show MIDI Window. Double click on the network icon and make a new session, enable it and make sure down at the bottom left you select "anyone can connect to me." On the other mac, go to the same window and the session you created should show up, join it. Now you can send beat clock or MTC over your network! There are different ways to employ this in each DAW, but you'll figure it out.

Here's a great SOS article on it: MIDI Networking

Hope this helps.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

BTW I used this for a jam session between my friend who was on Ableton, and my system which was running both Logic and Pro Tools. Ridiculously fun.
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for the link Muser, I'm making my way through it

@dwaynedelario, that's sweet man, that's exactly what I'm looking to achieve. I'll probably be asking you more questions in the future because right now, the other Mac isn't about so I can't try anything so it's all knowledge I'm looking for in the meantime! So tell me, is there any difference what programme you use as Clock Master? Did you doing it wirelessly then yeah? I'd be looking to do it with Ethernet for reliability and for gigs etc.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

If you're going to be doing this live, then I'd say whomever is running the setlist or initiating performances should be set up as master, otherwise it doesn't particularly matter. If you are recording, it might make sense to make the printing machine the master.

As for networking, yeah we did it wirelessly because he was on a laptop. But you could just as easily plug both machines into the same router or possibly directly into each other.

If you google something like: MIDI, OS X, Network, Beat Clock etc you can find a ton of great info out there.
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

Makes sense. Would you know if there's any benefit with using a router as opposed to directly connected the two comps together with the Ethernet?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Should be pretty much the same, maybe a slight difference in setting up the network preference pane.

Here's another great tutorial that is super simplified: Two Macs, Ableton Live & Resolume Avenue via an Ethernet MIDI Network | VJ Essentials

Good luck maing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search