The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Propellerhead Reason as instrument for live use DAW Software
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Propellerhead Reason as instrument for live use

Hi!

I'm planning to establish a band of three: a vocalist, a guitarist and a keyboardist. Since we have Reason but no hardware synths or samplers, we decided to use Reason as a live instrument.

I like the idea that I can stack up quite a number of devices one after another just like patches in the sound banks of a synth or workstation. On my computer I can load around 40-50 devices and cycle through them without overloading the system (although Reason Pianos demand quite a lot of power).

My question is that should I invest more in upgrading the computer or rather get a used workstation? What is the sound quality of Reason compared to synths like the Fantom X, Motif ES or Korg Triton series? I found the Reason synths to be quite good but some of the sampled instruments sound a bit unrealistic (especially next to sound libraries by East West or VSL, of course they require a fraction of the system resources these monster libraries do) but they are still bearable.

I want to upgrade to use Reason 6 in Windows 7 64bit so the whole recording process could be done within one software. I would max out my ram (to 16 gb from 2 gb) so I could load more piano patches and get a decent pci or pci-e sound card instead of the current integrated one and a SATA2 hdd instead of an old IDE one. Of course the whole computer would be dedicated to music so no unnecessary programs, internet connection etc.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

An answer to this thread; yes, reason can be used live! Just make sure to use some space echo
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Buy new sample libraries/refills for the sounds that aren't cutting it... Or program yourself...

The good news is that Reason is one of the most stable platforms you could use.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Thank you both!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
if you having problems with Reason pianos get a faster hard drive. SSD is the best for loading samples quickly.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteSpirit View Post
Buy new sample libraries/refills for the sounds that aren't cutting it... Or program yourself...

The good news is that Reason is one of the most stable platforms you could use.
I agree and it's quite cool what you are able to do with Thor for example!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search