The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mac To PC concerns Desktop Synthesizers
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Mac To PC concerns

Currently running Pro Tools 8 LE on a macbook pro 2.4 GHZ Core 2 duo with my digi 003 rack. And I need a powerful computer for running multiple instances of VI plug-ins at the lowest buffer size. I want to start using amplitube 3 and superior drummer for tracking guitars and drums at the same time. I already start to hear some pops and clicks when running amplitube 3 with a few effects so there would be no way of running 2 instances of it on my current setup. I originally was going to buy a quad core i7 Imac but when i look at the price of a custom pc combo on newegg with the same or better specs it just seems like any mac isn't worth the price for the power you get. I would need to upgrade to pro tools 9 for ADC for tracking with amplitube 3.

So my question is, is there anything i should be concerned about moving everything from my mac to pc? How easy is it to transition all my files? Do I have to dig for all my authorization codes again? Will pro tools 9 and my VI plugins run okay on windows? And which windows should I get? XP? 7? and what kind of processor would be suitable for heavy Virtual Instrument tracking? Quad core i7?

Any answers would help
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
Get an i7 if you can wing it and any new PC should be running W7 64bit unless there's some hardware you use frequently that doesn't have supporting drivers or something.

In general, VST versions run more efficiently than their RTAS counterparts. For any sample heavy instruments that eat up ram like Superior Drummer, you might be better off using a 64bit daw for composing then moving over to PT for mixing. With W7 64bit though, PT would still have access to more ram (a full 4gb) given that you have at least 6gb in there. With your mac, your sharing the 4gb between PT and the OS.

As far as authorizations, I assume you'd need a fresh install of all your programs. The PT project files would be the same.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post
Get an i7 if you can wing it and any new PC should be running W7 64bit unless there's some hardware you use frequently that doesn't have supporting drivers or something.

In general, VST versions run more efficiently than their RTAS counterparts. For any sample heavy instruments that eat up ram like Superior Drummer, you might be better off using a 64bit daw for composing then moving over to PT for mixing. With W7 64bit though, PT would still have access to more ram (a full 4gb) given that you have at least 6gb in there. With your mac, your sharing the 4gb between PT and the OS.

As far as authorizations, I assume you'd need a fresh install of all your programs. The PT project files would be the same.
Thanks for the reply! So there's nothing else to worry if I were to switch to Windows 7? What about transferring my whole system to a new PC? How would that work? And im kind of confused how to upgrade to Pro Tools 9 and crossover to Windows at the same time. I guess there will be a complete install of Pro Tools 9 offered for either Mac or Windows on my account on their site after I purchase the upgrade? Will all my project files transfer over ok since it's all session files and lossless audio files?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
Not sure what you mean by "transferring your system" since your going from a macbook to PC. There's no hardware transfer to speak of and you're going to need to install all your software/drivers fresh onto Windows.

With the PT9 upgrade, if it's a boxed version, it will have the installers for both I believe. With the DL version, there should be a link to DL installers for either OS.

The PT project files should open in Windows, provided that you're streaming it from an NTFS (PC) formatted drive. Actually, I think PT8LE came with an optional app to read HFS (Mac) formatted drives, though I never tried it.

As far concerns over switching to windows, none would be about mac to pc since there isn't any hardware involved aside from the files in your mac HD.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

you'll have no troubles, pro tools 9 runs very well on either. I have pro tools 9 on a pc and mac here and projects open between them.

As Blacklion said VST works better for V.I.'s so if you're stuck on using pro tools then I'd suggest investing in Vienna pro and run the master/slave on the same machine running all your VI's under VST in vienna,or, for $250 less get hold of Reaper heh

I generally do all my composing/tracking with cubase 6x64 and sometimes mix with pro tools.

windows 7 x64 is a great OS for a DAW and a current 2600k i7 machine will blow your socks off heh

MC
Old 11th September 2011
PT9 runs like a dream on Windows 7, and yes, you will notice an immense change in power:price when it comes to PCs. I recently commissioned an i7 build that SMOKES anything out there, period. I've never had any problems and have been thoroughly pleased with my choice of components.

.ptf files work on either, so there's no problem there.

You'll very much enjoy it on the Windows side, and it is an excellent decision to switch.
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

This bench may help you. http://www.dawbench.com/win7-v-osx-5.htm
Win7 seems to have got same or rather better perfomance than mac does. The theory that mac do better is already bygones ,or myth from the very first, I think.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Hi

I do own serval macs and pc's. I do own a i7 3 ghz, 8 gb ram and a MAc pro with 2x2.8 14 gm ram, as my main daw machines.

So comparing these machines plus the os, I still stick with mac mainly.
I think win 7 has come a long way, but there is still much of the old **** left in there. Can't beat the unix base just yet, will see what win8 will bring.

guess it comes down to what ur after, with i7 and win 7 you get a quite stable workable solution. I think with a mac you will just beat it by the better usability and smoother os (setup and workflow vise ).

PT is PT on both platforms (I only ever used pt on a mac, cubase on both ).

So ok save some money and collect some grey hairs .

cheers
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leechlife View Post
I think win 7 has come a long way, but there is still much of the old **** left in there.
Really? How so? Humor me. Sounds like you're rehashing some old and trite prejudices.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leechlife View Post
I do own serval macs and pc's. I do own a i7 3 ghz, 8 gb ram and a MAc pro with 2x2.8 14 gm ram, as my main daw machines.

So comparing these machines plus the os, I still stick with mac mainly.
Wait a minute. Isn't that Mac Pro a dual Quad core Xeon? So you are comparing an 8 core machine to a quad core machine?

Quote:
I think win 7 has come a long way, but there is still much of the old **** left in there. Can't beat the unix base just yet, will see what win8 will bring.
Here is a little history for you: You know when Apple realised that their OS was absolutely crap and started developing OSX a bit more than a decade ago? Well Microsoft realised the same thing much earlier and made the switch over twenty years ago when they developed Windows NT.

Alistair
Old 13th September 2011
MediaMix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnacle View Post
This bench may help you. DAW Bench : DAW Performance Benchmarking
Win7 seems to have got same or rather better perfomance than mac does. The theory that mac do better is already bygones ,or myth from the very first, I think.
This test is interesting. I have heard that Pro Tools 9 gives better performance and lower buffer sizes on Win 7 64 over OSX but I never saw a test.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, if you go for price/performance ratio, than pc wins hands down. Not to mention that win 7 is really quite stable. Although if you want a good pc, you may want to consider some pc builders who really build from quality components.

In my daily experience though, on the long run, macs are still way more stable and need less care than the win machines. Also, we encounter much less problems with macs during upgrades, plugins, etc. Not that it is not solvable on the win side, just more care needed.

In the real world, my experience is that windows performs better when it's testlab time, and you are testing the highest possible performance, but on the long hard work, win fail somewhat more. This is really our experience here, no flame war please.
I think there are some benefits with mac. It is your decision if you want to spend more money on this or not.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Also, from the test you've linked:

"On OSX, the results for Protool 9 were very similar to the performance of the DAE M-Audio results, being a lot more consistent across the board and easily outperforming all of the other applications @ the available buffer settings by quite a substantial margin.

The Windows results were the ones that were the mixed bag this time around. Protools 9 again showed all of the other app's a clean set of heels @ 032/064 and was looking like it was going to clean the slate if it continued to scale accordingly , but then @128 the scaling took a bizarre U turn."
and

"Overall Protools 9 has been pretty impressive , not only has it maintained far better cross platform comparative performance using both DAE and ASIO/Core Audio, but it has performed admirably against the more established open hardware DAW applications and plugin formats. I think its safe to say that RTAS - for plugin's at least, is equally as efficient as VST in most cases on Windows, and more efficient on OSX. That is definitely a turn around to the pre conceived ideas I had coming into this testing."

Just for the sake of true test analisys.
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
Well, if you go for price/performance ratio, than pc wins hands down. Not to mention that win 7 is really quite stable. Although if you want a good pc, you may want to consider some pc builders who really build from quality components.

In my daily experience though, on the long run, macs are still way more stable and need less care than the win machines. Also, we encounter much less problems with macs during upgrades, plugins, etc. Not that it is not solvable on the win side, just more care needed.

In the real world, my experience is that windows performs better when it's testlab time, and you are testing the highest possible performance, but on the long hard work, win fail somewhat more. This is really our experience here, no flame war please.
I think there are some benefits with mac. It is your decision if you want to spend more money on this or not.
You said one thing that is already clear for everyone in long sentence. The parts built with higher grade condenser the computer will get more stable. When there are mother board/logic board with same parts manufacture by foxconn they are equal. No mac or PC arguments. When the condensor blows up each system will be unstable. No hidden magic there. Your rhetoric that comparing different quality built parts is clearly objectively fail.

Same goes for optica drives, rams, hard drive and etc. They are also mostly bought from manufactures in Taiwan as well as PC's and other deveices'. No hidden magic is here too. Don't get me wrong I don't mean to say your experience is illusion but just cleared the flaw of comparing process.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnacle View Post
You said one thing that is already clear for everyone in long sentence. The parts built with higher grade condenser the computer will get more stable. When there are mother board/logic board with same parts manufacture by foxconn they are equal. No mac or PC arguments. When the condensor blows up each system will be unstable. No hidden magic there. Your rhetoric that comparing different quality built parts is clearly objectively fail.

Same goes for optica drives, rams, hard drive and etc. They are also mostly bought from manufactures in Taiwan as well as PC's and other deveices'. No hidden magic is here too. Don't get me wrong I don't mean to say your experience is illusion but just cleared the flaw of comparing process.
I think you misunderstood me, but maybe it is my english. I did not mean that macs are magical, or have much better hardware parts in it. The quality parts is meant for peecees. I mean you can build a insanely cheap pc, but than (for the most part) you will run into problems. Compatibility and reliability problems. If you build your machine from quality parts, it will be fine. This is all I meant.

Of course my experience is not an illusion. If I check our statistics back to somewhat 14 years, macs were much more reliable. This does NOT mean that peecees are junk. But they were more problematic. They always needed more care, more attention, that's it.
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

I already said in the very first post.
Quote:
The theory that mac do better is already bygones ,or myth from the very first, I think.
In this topic I have never stand the point "PC has been no doubt always superior".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search