The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mbox VS Focusrite saffire (pre's & coverters only) Audio Interfaces
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Mbox VS Focusrite saffire (pre's & coverters only)

I'm so itching to buy but totally stuck between the two, I don't necesarily need to upgrade PT unless I get the saffire, but for 500-600 want the best pre's & coverters of the two ???

Help , Who has actually compared these ??
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

???
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I haven't compared them side by side but I used to own an Mbox 2 and now have a Saffire Pro 40 for home demos etc.

I actually really like the preamps in the Pro 40. Very clean and quiet. I'm not sure about the conversion but at this price point I can't imagine it would make a huge difference. I felt that the Pro 40's D/A was noticeably more open sounding than my old Mbox 2 (though I've heard good things about the new converters in the Mbox 3), but since I record very little at home I couldn't tell you much about the A/D other than that I don't lose any sleep over it. heh
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks Blacklight, yea that's pretty much what I'm trying to figure out.
Focusrite has great pre's for the pricerange, it just seems mbox3's reviews/feedback are all over the place. Some say it's on Par with the apogee duet, others bag it (I wonder if some just go from previous mbox's and presume the new is just same old)
Anyone bought the mbox3 that can give us a bit of insight ??
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

You do realize that it is the MBox Pro that people are saying is on par with the duet. The different MBoxes all have different converters.
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

I have a Saffire Pro 40 at the moment and where I'm at I have access to a large number of the earlier Mbox Series. I find the Saffire's pres to be far cleaner and more transparent than the earlier Mbox2 pres and conversion. However, I have not compared the Mbox3 Pro (which I have heard have pretty clean pres and nice conversion), so there may still be some ambiguity here. I'm planning on shooting out some Mbox3 Pros vs the Focusrite Saffire vs TLA vs Lunchbox pres in the next few months when some colleagues receive theirs.

I could be wrong but, I believe the Mbox3 Pro has no ADAT i/o so it add a tiny level of inconvenience if you're planning on upgrading to a 16/24 channel setup. Just something to keep in mind for "future proofing".
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warfunkel View Post
You do realize that it is the MBox Pro that people are saying is on par with the duet. The different MBoxes all have different converters.
The are supposedly the same, running Cirrus Logic CS 4272 converters which are the same used in the motu 828mk3 & the duet.
The price difference backs this up to , pretty much the cost of the extra pre's.
The mini is stated as having the same but I'm scepticle on that one.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacrity View Post
I have a Saffire Pro 40 at the moment and where I'm at I have access to a large number of the earlier Mbox Series. I find the Saffire's pres to be far cleaner and more transparent than the earlier Mbox2 pres and conversion. However, I have not compared the Mbox3 Pro (which I have heard have pretty clean pres and nice conversion), so there may still be some ambiguity here. I'm planning on shooting out some Mbox3 Pros vs the Focusrite Saffire vs TLA vs Lunchbox pres in the next few months when some colleagues receive theirs.

I could be wrong but, I believe the Mbox3 Pro has no ADAT i/o so it add a tiny level of inconvenience if you're planning on upgrading to a 16/24 channel setup. Just something to keep in mind for "future proofing".
Yea if I was vs'in the mbox2 there would be not much debate at all, it's just the new a/d and pre's which I'm trying to figure out.

Thanks mate, if I wasn't so impatient I would be waiting on your reviews. I've got someone lined up to buy my current interface too so I'll probably move on this in the next few days.. But deciding .. Arrrr lol
Old 12th September 2011
RTR
Lives for gear

I got the mbox 3 when they first came out...sent it back a day later, I just did not like it..bought a focusrite LS 56, now I also have the pro 40 and like both way better than the mbox! And they both are running PT 9 flawlessly
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
I got the mbox 3 when they first came out...sent it back a day later, I just did not like it..bought a focusrite LS 56, now I also have the pro 40 and like both way better than the mbox! And they both are running PT 9 flawlessly
Nice to here there's no issues with PT9.
Is there any particular reason you didn't like it ? Look, sound, workflow ?
Old 13th September 2011
To me it's not even a contest. Focusrite wins hand-down in I/O, converters, pres, and value.

The only advantage the mbox has is the PT thing. 9 fixed that anyway
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious View Post
The are supposedly the same, running Cirrus Logic CS 4272 converters which are the same used in the motu 828mk3 & the duet.
The price difference backs this up to , pretty much the cost of the extra pre's.
The mini is stated as having the same but I'm scepticle on that one.
I have a duet at home and tried the avid Mbox pro against it and converter wise the mboxpro was better. It sounded bigger. Preamp wise, i liked my duet better. The software mixer was also nice on the mboxpro.
Cannot speak for the mbox or the mini thought.
Hope this help.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick2630 View Post
I have a duet at home and tried the avid Mbox pro against it and converter wise the mboxpro was better. It sounded bigger. Preamp wise, i liked my duet better. The software mixer was also nice on the mboxpro.
Cannot speak for the mbox or the mini thought.
Hope this help.
Thanks Rick , interesting.
Just wondering how you pitched the converters against eachother, bypass the pre's ?
Old 14th September 2011
I like Avid's converters (pretty much the only thing I like about their hardware), but I just don't like mboxs and don't recommend them.

It's like they were only invented to bait people bc of Pro Tools functionality.
Old 9th November 2012
Here for the gear
OK!!! So after reading this, I decided to shoot this out. (I have both the Mbox pro3 and the Focusrite Pro40). I want to upgrade to the apollo or RME but can't decide how much to spend now but anyway....

My usual set up is a TLM 102 into a Grace model101 into the focusrite line ins to PT10. Today after reading this, I went out of the Grace into the Mbox line ins, out s/pdif into the focusrite into ProTools.

and the winner is (as far as the A/D).....

MBOX!!! The A/D was way cleaner, very noticeable in the Top end, it almost had more reach and it was a way cleaner sound. I'm upset that Ive never done this because I always hated on my Mbox because I thought the Focusrite was better but now I'm rethinking everything.

As far as the Pre's, if anyone is dying to know which is better, i can do some tests and post some findings but I have a Grace so I really never use the Focusrite or the Mbox but I will say that the focus rite pre' ARE NOT as good as I thought when compared to the Grace. the focus rite pre's were VERY cloudy especially in the low end and I never realized it before. I thought it was my miss.

Hit me up if you have questions or want some feedback on gear. I'm also doing a series of Shoot-outs with audio gear so SUBSCRIBE to my channel on youtube so you can check them out!!! Nathaniel Coe III "natecoemusic" - YouTube
Old 9th November 2012
Gear Addict

I have a Saffire Pro 24 and I think the MBOX has better sound. I've used both.

This shootout:
Best Budget Audio Interfaces for SM7B | recording hacks
Has voiceover samples comparing an mbox 3 to an 18i6 (same preamps as the saffire).
I tried to pick blindly and I picked the 1. mbox 2. c400 (bought one last week) 3. 18i6

Yuck @ Apogee & Presonus
Old 9th November 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
I like Avid's converters (pretty much the only thing I like about their hardware), but I just don't like mboxs and don't recommend them.

It's like they were only invented to bait people bc of Pro Tools functionality.
That is why I didn't buy one despite loving the sound... It felt like I was buying protools and getting a free interface rather than the other way around. Avid and Protools is like Microsoft and Windows. They're both great products - probably the best overall, but do I really need to buy a new bundled copy every 6 months when all I want is the associated hardware?
Old 10th November 2012
Here for the gear

I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, that I just bought new for $328.00. When I first got it I kept turning up the gain, waiting for it to get noisy. You can just about crank it all the way up with no noise. I cant compare it to the Mbox3, but I am happy with it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search